Monday's Question Of The Day - March 12, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I'm SO late!! This day is flying by and I haven't done half the things I need to.

What is your routine for physical health? Walking, running, pilates, yoga, channel surfing?

I started physical therapy about a month ago after spending 4 months with heel pain. It's been really really good for me! I am not in great shape and I need to lose weight; but the foot pain was making me scared to get back on the eliptical. I'm doing better now but some of the exercises I'm learning are still hard and even make me laugh at myself. Gym was always my worst subject! :p

My normal exercise consists of gardening (which would be great if it were year round!), taking family walks and things like that. I have an exercise bike and an elliptical too. My goal is to get back on the elliptical and add in more strength or weight training. At therapy they have me doing a lot to strengthen my arches and ankles. I want to continue those sort of exercises. I feel like I'm getting somewhere now and learning things that will help me out in general. After a month; squats are getting much easier too. :lol::crazy:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to run 4-5 miles year round but due to health related problems mostly speed walk now with short running intervals. I also take exercise classes for Cardio, Muscle Fitness and, my favorite dance class, Zumba. I used to do yoga at home and need to get back to it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I have to get back into exercising soon. I need to vacuum off my treadmill, it's all dusty! I also like to use small free weights, they only weigh a few pounds. That's about it, treadmill and weights. And I do a few floor exercises like sit-ups and leg lifts, sometimes holding the small free weights.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh man, I need to start something. I used to walk 10 miles a day as part of my job which helped with my health and fitness. Not anything extreme but I was losing a few pounds every year slow and steady. Since switching back to an office job four years ago I've regained everything I lost and a little. It's just so frustrating for me because I seem to gain muscle as quickly as Iose weight so the scale doesn't move much.

I am walking a mile after work to do something but I need to do more. :doh2:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm doing physical therapy exercises to regain strength following surgery. It's helping a lot. My goal is to resume gardening soon. My prairie grasses need cutting down now. Taking care of the yard is a break it or lose it goal for me. I wasn't able to even pull weeds last summer, and my sons want me to sell my house and get rid of my kitties, the two most important things to me.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I love running. Sprinting, cross-country, it's all awesome. But, long distance on treadmills makes me so bored I could die. Plus I feel like a hamster. I also love swimming, and rock-climbing. And I won't even mention dancing, which has got to be my all-time favourite. I used to like yoga but it bores me after a while. Also, I have a fondness for flag-football, badminton and Pilates.

However, I believe the best activity for physical health is going outside and doing outdoorsy things. Like climbing trees, chasing birds and squirrels, cutting wood, shooting targets, etc. It's fun, centering and great for mental and physical health. Just walking under trees is beneficial. Even more so in the fall. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But, long distance on treadmills makes me so bored I could die. Plus I feel like a hamster.
We used to have a treadmill and I had trouble just walking on the thing. I don't know if it was just a cheap one or what but I'd be walking along and it would feel like it would catch with a step and I'd about fall off. :confused: It sat in our garage for a long time after we moved but we finally got rid of it and got the elliptical instead. DH tried running on it once and he didn't like it either.

I do love walking in the woods. It's not a chore. It's peaceful. Beach walking at sunset is a close second. I love to be barefoot and let the waves hit my ankles and look for shells. DH would love to do more backpacking; but i need facilities.
Well, I'm sure I burn off some calories when I walk to the fridge to get ice cream.
:hugs:
I feel like I relate to this guy so much more than I should.
But I've got to make changes. To look and feel better. I'm finding I'm enjoying the non-cardio exercises. They aren't boring to me. One balance type exercise was hysterical the first time they had me try it. Last week the PT was like 'Your getting better!!" :lol::paperbag:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been taking tap dance classes once a week since around September. I'm not very good at it, and I don't like to practice at home as I've got a downstairs neighbor. I go to a yoga & beer once a month with my old yoga teacher when I lived in that area. It's too far for once a week and the yoga around here was more intense and I got tired of always being the worst in the class by a longshot.

I used to go to the gym three times a week. These days it's more like once or twice. I do the machines (either leg, abs, or arms) with like one set of 15 on each one and a half hour of cardio.

I lost the mist weight when some coworkers and I hired a small group trainer who really put us through the ropes. I'm not good at pushing myself. But I can't afford a personal trainer now that I have cat expenses and paying for tap.

I need to do more. I'm about 5lbs overweight, which isn't too bad, but I'd like to be down another 10 to 15, and with treats in the teacher's lounge I have trouble resisting, I'll need to burn more. Such is life.

/novel

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I walk a lot - to and from work, plus dog walking. There are days when I'm out with dogs for several hours. Add in a couple of hours of cleaning cat rooms and dog kennels, and it seems like enough physical activity.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I do a lot of yoga. Usually around 90 minutes a day. I try to do at least 30 minutes of deep stretch asanas even if I'm really busy or tired.

I walk regularly and I run in the warmer months when there's no snow around.

I go horse riding about once a month, sadly that's as often as I can afford to go, and I do several long half day/full day hikes a year too.

Also I do a lot of yard work, raking, chopping, weeding and pruning and shoveling snow for 3 months of the year. Glad that part's over for now.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I do exercises that were given to me when I went to physical therapy. I have RSD and cannot do what I used
to do but I keep active. I love taking walks.....have to use a walker but I really can't wait till the weather
breaks and I can get out more often.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a walker. I hit the treadmill in the mornings for 3.5 miles. Once my doctor gives me the OK, I'll start walking outside for 3 miles over my lunch break.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for me, it's the chores i do that give me a good amount of exercise. i move and stack firewood all year round, shovel snow (but also have the snow blower, for the heavy amounts of snow), weed the garden beds, do various projects (like the feature wall i installed last year), and keep the house clean and tidy.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am fortunate to have a job that keeps me moving, walking all day. I am considering doing more recreational walking this Spring and Summer. I really prefer to do yard work, though. If I had the sport of all to choose however, it would be swimming laps.:)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do power lifting and presses. I power lift forks and spoons and press knives.
:crackup: Me too.

My job actually keeps me fairly active and with 8 house kitties and two dogs, there is always cleaning to be done. I'm sure that's enough physical activity for me.