Monday's Question of the Day - June 6, 2016

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I can well imagine that the BHS restaurant was hell @Norachan - I remember them as being very dreary, soulless places *shudders*
I bet it was.
 I knew the other Brits would understand.

The worst thing about it was the uniform. A brown nylon A-line dress with an orange, brown and white check pinny over the top.

Oh, the shame! 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I had a babysitting job at 13. I worked on the weekends-usually it was from 8 until 3am. they paid me $20 for the night. some nights I stayed over if they came in really late otherwise they drove me home in the morning. I loved their house-they had a kitty and a big house where I had fun looking around at how neat and clean everything was-growing up mom wasn't the neatest person-she just didn't give a rip=plus their house was quiet. no yelling. no cigarette smoke so I didn't get sick. the kids were really well behaved. they almost always were in bed when I was brought over-they kept me until I was 16? then once in a while after, I had started hanging around this other older woman who my neighbor hooked me up with but she never paid me. my mom went after her and told me I wasn't allowed to babysit anymore.

I didn't care-she lived near my highschool and not getting paid was worth it because I only had to walk 10 min and I was at school and no horrible bus ride for 40 minutes. so to me-it was an even exchange-not only did I not have to deal with the idiot bullies on the bus but I could sleep in until 6am vs 5:15am. that was a big deal to a kid who loved to sleep.

I didn't work any other jobs until I was 19. I started at a local fast food in the spring of that year and because I was over 18 they said I could work all the overtime I wanted but not on school nights. in the summer I worked 4 to 2am 4 to 5 days a week closing. it was a hard smelly irritating job but I liked being busy and didn't mind. I shudder now to think I may have to go back to that kind of work-where no matter how much soap you use=the smell never goes away in your clothes or hair. Yep that was a learning experience-I learned that I love fried foods-and still do.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol3:  I knew the other Brits would understand.

The worst thing about it was the uniform. A brown nylon A-line dress with an orange, brown and white check pinny over the top.
Oh, the shame! :anon:
ROTFL!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Babysitting, cleaning bachelor boats on the marina, had mega household chores to do @home daily right after school

(live in maid plus waitress) make coffee, roll cigarettes for folks.

Quit school got a full time nanny job rented a room moved out @ 14, passed for 16.

Mostly worked telephone solicitation then Answering services companies, switchboard operator - the old cord boards.

Last edited: