Monday's Question Of The Day - June 4, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy June everyone! We are having a family stay-cation this week. Somehow we ALL ended up with dentist appointments this week. :dunno: Bummer. DH and I actually ended up with appointments on the same day...our wedding anniversary. I guess nothing says "I love you" like good dental hygiene! :D :p

What fun things can you do in your local area?

We don't have the "wilderness" like where DH and I are from; but we can still do things like short hikes and kayaking here. We have beaches, mini-golf and go-karting not too far away. There are restaurants there too. Including some really yummy seafood buffets. There is a small water park near us; but with all the beaches I guess no one has ever tried to make anything bigger. (I would enjoy it!) We have a few wildlife refuges in the area too.

Some towns nearby will have little festivals but that's mostly in the spring or fall when the weather is more comfortable. One local farm has a "festival" almost every weekend. Named for whatever fruit is in season. It's a fun place to take kids. :agree: They often have live music and adults seem to go for that too. I heard we have a winery that has a food truck festival; but I haven't made it to that yet. :yummy:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Anniversary, MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles !

We have different festivals in the area: Arts festival, Ice Festival, Oktoberfest, Christkindl, various music festivals, Wine Festival (home brew competition), Apple Butter Festival, etc. Buggy Days, several firemen carnivals, craft shows, flea markets, community yard sales, home shows, fairs, and the like.

Because we're a college town, we have an eclectic mix of shopping and restaurants. The chain restaurants are out along the highway; to get to the interesting places, you need to go into town. We still have a really nice movie theater; it was sold and the people did the whole thing over. It's gorgeous inside and people still patronize it.

There are some camping areas around, including one at our local state park; it's popular for picnics as well as camping, with a nice lake and a beach. When we were kids, we pretty much lived there during the summer; our parents took us camping all through the summer.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Anniversary, MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles !

we have quite a few pick your own places in my area -- apples, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries! and many produce stands that are open during the summer months.

we also have auctions, including produce auctions! :D

there are various festivals during the spring/summer/fall too.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lets see where I am on Long Island..

Adventure Land amusement park is fun, a few miles from my home.

If you drive further east, you'll hit the farms with some pick your own produce. There's a dinosaur museum and an aquarium that also has a butterfly house and bird house.

Drive about an hour west of me, you get to the Bronx Zoo.

We're surrounded by beaches.

lots of art galleries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you both Winchester Winchester & micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom ! 15 years is probably one worth celebrating a little better than at the dentist's office. But hey we usually end up going out to eat but taking our kids with us. Maybe we can celebrate on Friday instead! :lol:

I wish we had more cool museums here. We went to a very hands-on kid science museum this spring and it was so much fun!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an "outdoor history museum," actually an area where historic homes and shops have been moved and are open to the public. During the warm months, the settlement is staffed by docents guiding and demonstrating work of the 19th Century. The park also has many events of its own - I heard the cannons going off a few weeks ago for Civil War days.

Naper Settlement Museum - Official Website