Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I've never been.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've gone camping as a kid, and also drove across the US and parts of Canada (sleeping in my minivan). i enjoyed that. i've also stayed at a cabin at a national park and that was very enjoyable.

there's not going to be camping in my late middle age (now) or senior years.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Camping was a fairly cheap way to hang out when going places. Rick and I would take out son to amusement parks in the summer, just to ride the roller coasters. Well, camping was a lot cheaper than staying at a motel. So we'd pack the car up with all our gear and take off. One trip to VA (Busch Gardens and King's Dominion) with our son, my brother and his then-GF, we had my old Nova so bogged down with gear that I swear the car was only about 6-8 inches off the ground. My father always said that, had he actually seen the car before we left, he would have never let us go. When we pulled into the driveway back at home and he saw the car, Dad was appalled. But we made it and we were all fine. We still have pictures from that time, my brother's GF and I were by the stove making breakfast and Rick and my brother airing out the tent and folding the sleeping bags for the day, our son was pouring the juice. There's a picture of me sitting in my car, looking in the mirror while I put my mascara on. :lol: Hey, had to look decent for the coasters! Good times. Those were really good times. We were young and we didn't really know any better.

When I was a kid, my parents started camping in the back of an old station wagon. Dad made a kind of bunk bed. I slept in the front seat, Mom and Dad slept in the back of the station wagon, and my brother and sister slept above them in the bunk beds. We went from the station wagon to an old army-type tent, then to a newer tent. Went to a couple different tent trailers (like popups, but not quite). By the time I was married, Mom and Dad had a regular travel trailer; they kept upgrading to nicer trailers before they gave up camping.

When Dad pulled into the campsite, we all had our jobs and we weren't allowed to leave the site until everything was finished. We got the campsite together, helped Mom and Dad get everything in shape and then.....I was gone. I always knew some kids who were always camping at the same time we were and, other than sleeping and meals, I was gone. Come time for supper, and Dad would say, "OK, go find your sister." I'd come back, eat dinner, help with the dishes and then I was gone again until 10:00 or so.

Their last travel trailer slept 8 with a bedroom in the back. A fairly nice kitchen with microwave and nice stove and oven. A stereo system, bathroom with shower, AC. To me, that's not even camping! Mom had everything down pat when it came to camping.

I'd go camping again. But at this point, with my aches and pains, I'd probably need an air mattress for the sleeping bag; I don't think I could lay on the ground anymore. (And now? When we go on vacation, we usually look for a B & B.)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. NO. NO. NO.

I want four walls with electricity and plumbing and no bugs.
Amen to that!

I'm afraid my idea of roughing it is staying in a hotel without cable TV. :wink:

I did do a little camping with my relatives when I was a kid, but the black widow spiders and rattlesnakes scared the crap out of me. I don't care what they say, there's no way a snake can possibly be more scared of me than I am of it.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have camped with no power or stuff-it sucked. BUT a camper is how I would go camping or set up my truck and sleep in the back since it's 6 feet long with the seats down-get me a blowup mattress=park at Wally world or wherever and I could sleep...I'd invent some kind of netting on the windows so the mosquitoes stay out.

I think many campgrounds have come a long ways. All have showers and hot water. I personally don't want to sleep on the ground but I have always wanted to put a tent up on my deck and sleep outside in the hot nights and have honeybee keep me company.

I would sleep in a tent if I had to. I would just bring lots of bottled water for cleaning and drinking. I couldn't stay anywhere without water. I enjoy camping at least when I was younger I did. With air mattresses now it's not too bad anymore. But if I didn't have an air mattress then no way in Heck would I sleep on the ground..I would make something out of logs or something or just sleep in my truck..that's my tent!

I used to stay in a popup camper and it's WAY better than sleeping on the wet ground..so if it rains-big deal!!