Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I've never been.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It feels like today should still be the weekend. We've been too busy! :sleep2: We seem to go activity crazy for a few weeks every summer. For this homebody; it's tiring!

Do you enjoy camping?

I can't say that I do if it's tent camping. I love sitting around a fire pit; but I don't like sleeping in tents or sleeping bags. I like "modern bathroom facilities" and air conditioning. :rolleyes: DH grew up camping a lot more than I did and he enjoys it. He likes backpacking too.

My family had a camp in the mountains; but it was a solid structure. We did have to use an outhouse there though. It had running water but the spetic wasn't easily maintained so no indoor showering. We could get some TV by antenna when the Olympics were on. We could do some cooking indoors or out. We brought water in but collected some in rain barrels too. We had beds to sleep on. Then we could go down to the lake and enjoy the little beach or take a boat out on the water. Or go farther up the mountain for some hiking. In town there was a water park, playground, shops and a few restaurants. There was always fun things to do in the woods immediately around our camp. Berries to pick too. We'd spot deer and raccoons. Bears were around but I never saw one myself. Others did. Air conditioning wasn't common even in town; but I don't remember being hot enough to be uncomfortable at night up in the mountains. Maybe all that playing in nature wore us kids out so we didn't notice. :lol:

That is my kind of camping. :thumbsup:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I am not into camping. The most I could do is a fully equipped RV.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DH wants to buy a nice camper so he can convince me to go. Something with beds and a bathroom with a shower. An old boss of mine had one and she camped every weekend from May through September/October. I believe hers had air conditioning. DH really has no hope of getting me in a tent. But that I think I could do. ;)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely not. I went tent with my sister and her family about 20 years ago and it was awful. The heat was horrible. I have IBS-D and it is not fun getting up in the middle of a hot night to run to a dirty bathroom. Never again. There was very little for me to eat since I don't eat meat or eggs for breakfast.

Muffy

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I come from a camping family, so yes. We grew up camping and, after Rick and I got married, we continued to camp. We had a tent with sleeping bags, a Coleman stove, ice chest, etc. I cooked many meals over the fire, from bacon and eggs, to pot roast. Hot dogs, burgers, and mountain pies were standard fare, but I also took pasta sauce, lots of veggies, etc. along camping, too. I can't tell you how many times we got rained out and had to play cards in the tent or play games at the picnic table. We took it all in stride.

When I was a kid, there were no showers and we had the basic outhouses. We had a blast. There was a camping clique and that included the kids and we all had some great times together. Now, many camping areas not only have modern restrooms, but those restrooms include showers.

I remember one morning when Rick and I were camping with our son. We had just made breakfast (pancakes, sausage, etc.) and we were working on washing dishes. I told Rick, "Man, I need a cup of coffee; I would kill for a cup of coffee!" About five minutes later, my parents showed up! We didn't know they were coming; they had decided to visit us for the day. I ran out to greet them and Mom handed me a thermos of coffee.

And life was good.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes!!! One of my first memories is backpacking in the Blue Ridge mountains when I was about six. I still have my child's Kelty backpack and sleeping bag-- my dad made sure I could carry my own stuff. One of my life goals is to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. I teach survivalist skills and tracking, and my boyfriend is an Eagle Scout who almost knows more than me. Dad is ex-Army from rural Pennsylvania. I sleep better outside in a tent than I ever sleep in a bed. I LOVE camp food. For breakfast, I like to mix trail mix into oatmeal. And there's nothing more delicious than cold water from a mountain river!!

A few times this summer, Lucas and I have pitched our tent in the backyard, and slept outside to enjoy the stars and fireflies and all the wonderful nighttime woods noises. I hope we'll get to go backpacking/camping in a new national park soon!! Glacier and Olympic are both very high on my list right now.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I prefer glamping. I grew up camping with an old tent trailer and my parents would take us out for two-three weeks twice a year. Pit toilets and a small battery to light the trailer at night only. When I got older they got, and still have, a hybrid trailer. Hard sides with fold down tent beds. Low key glamping. The current trailer has a heater and A/C unit in it but I have only been out once. I don't like using the restroom in the trailer and prefer walking to the campground restroom. Which is a lot better than when I was a kid; most have showers and electrical outlets. I remember one when I was a kid that was open sky for the most part and you had to check for scorpions because there were no doors to keep them outside.

My parents though go out for weeks at a time a few times a year. Sometimes staying in KOA ("resorts" = parking lot "campground") and other times actual trees and dirt campgrounds. I think their next trip is to the resorts because my niece is going and her top priority is a pool and other kids.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up camping at campgrounds. We started out in tents, then we got a pop-up trailer which was great. much better than a tent. It had a little kitchenette but we never really hooked up the water or gas line to it (unless it's pouring rain then we'll gas it up). Some of my fondest memories was camping!

I'll probably never use a tent again, cabin would be nice but not the same, IMO.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love it when I was younger (in my teens to twenties), but now that I'm older, I've grown attached to indoor plumbing.
If I get the desire to camp I can always go on my porch and watch the wildlife. I wouldn't mind going fishing though. If the permits weren't so expensive and there was something other than trout. (I hate pink fish)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. NO. NO. NO.

I want four walls with electricity and plumbing and no bugs.
:yeah:

Under no circumstances. No interest.
Tom sometimes goes with his daughter. Then they get on each other's nerves LOL.
I've been invited but the idea of it holds no interest to me. I can cook over a fire at home.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope, not at all. Except in a cabin with all the amenities. I've been tent camping a couple of times and didn't enjoy it.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So many people on the cat site seem to dislike camping, preferring indoor comfort...does this follow the "cat people vs. dog people" thing? :lol:

(ETA: Not meant in a rude way at all <3)

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Went camping in the backyard as a kid, but never actually really wdnt camping. I think it would be fun and yes I consider myself a dog person lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of my fondest memories was camping!

I'll probably never use a tent again, cabin would be nice but not the same, IMO.
Tom sometimes goes with his daughter. Then they get on each other's nerves LOL.
:lolup:
Some of my fondest childhood memories are definitely from camp. :agree: The last time I slept in a tent I was 18ish and my friend and I had rented one for a 5 day music festival. We got in free and a day early by volunteering for 5 days. It was in the 90s the entire week and we had no idea what we were doing. By the end of the week we were so DONE with each other we packed up and headed home before the final concert! :crackup: I had an awesome tan to show for it though. :cool2:

But your right; it's not the same. DH and I rented a cabin for a week for our honeymoon. It had a hot tub on the covered deck and a Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. It was too hot to light a fire inside or out too. Oh; it had air conditioning too. That's more my style vacation these days! :thumbsup:

So many people on the cat site seem to dislike camping, preferring indoor comfort...does this follow the "cat people vs. dog people" thing? :lol:

(ETA: Not meant in a rude way at all <3)
I was wondering the same myself. :crazy:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I were invited to go camping with good friends many moons ago. I was the one who was up for it but he was not. :rolleyes: Since my sister and I were long distance runners we are used to having "to go" anywhere, lol. These days I like the comfort of indoor plumbing also. And, yes, I am a dog person as well as a cat person. :bluepaw:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went camping once and loved it :biggrin: Just being out in the middle of a wooded area appeals to me.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've gone camping but there's no way I'd ever go again if a tent was involved. We've had campers before and that was fine. There must be AC and somewhere clean for me to shower. These days the only camping I'd be interested in would be by the pool at the Four Seasons while a cute cabana boy brought me margaritas and helped me apply my sunblock. :lol: