Monday's Question Of The Day - February 26, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I accidentally took a nap so I'm wide awake and posting my question "early" this week!

Do you enjoy puzzles? What kinds? Jigsaw, word puzzles, Sudoku, riddles?

I don't spend enough time on them; but I do enjoy some puzzles. Word searches, cross words, word puzzle books, hidden image, spot the difference. Those sort of puzzles. I like jigsaw ones and i have a nice stack of puzzles waiting to be put together when I find free time. (They've been waiting a while...) I do NOT like Sudoku. My DD might someday. But not me. :lol: I'm not a riddle person either.

My DS loves mazes. I got him a maze book when he was learning to hold a pencil (and hating it) and it took off from there. He just finished a book of them so I ran into the store looking for another. The one I found was too easy so he's going to have to wait for something from Amazon. He always did very well with jigsaw puzzles. I hope he stays interested in them as he grows up and maybe gets into logic/strategy puzzles and things like that. I can see him liking those. We have a few kid games that teach logic and problem solving. Both my kids like those. So I hope I hope!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love logic problems and Sudoku. Jigsaw puzzles are nice but they take up more room than I have available. Spot the difference puzzles are fun but a bit too easy for me because I can free-view stereoscopic pictures -- I just pretend I'm looking at a stereogram and anything that seems to "shimmer" is a spot where something is different. And I enjoy reading mysteries, which is another form of puzzle solving.

Oh, yes. I also like Cross Sums and Nonograms, and the kind of card solitaire games that have more strategy and less random chance involved.

As for mazes... A long time ago I came up with an idea for a text Adventure program (like Zork or Colossal Cave, AKA Original Adventure) with a minor graphical interface -- I wanted the central puzzle of the game to be a randomly generated 4 dimensional maze, which would have to have some graphic elements. I worked out exactly how to display it, how to move through it, and how the players could leave marks on the walls so that they'd have an actual chance of solving it, but I never wrote the program because I didn't have some kind of unifying story line to go with it. Would anyone like to collaborate on such a project?

Margret

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing crossword puzzles for years plus some of the other puzzles in the books. I am not very bright so I just do the easy and middle crosswords. It keeps me from thinking too hard sometimes.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A long time ago I came up with an idea for a text Adventure program (like ZORK
Oh wow! We had one of the first IBM pc computers in our area,and the one program my parents had on it for my brother and myself was ZORK! Since we were avid readers very early on,it certainly kept us busy. I guess Margret and I are certainly showing our age...I mean maturity...um,no I mean longevity.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I LOVE Sudoku, Cryptograms and Logic Puzzles. !!!

I've been doing crossword puzzles for years plus some of the other puzzles in the books. I am not very bright so I just do the easy and middle crosswords. It keeps me from thinking too hard sometimes.
muffy muffy , I do agree that the puzzles are indeed good at not letting us think too hard, in a sort of way that our mind takes over with puzzles and we can automatically put our troubles on hold for a while. For me, anyway, that's how it is. Crosswords are tough for me, I have a very bad memory and can't remember lots of facts, I wish I were better at them like you.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loooove puzzles - pretty much all kinds. Logic problems, nonograms, cryptograms, figgerits and anacrostics.

I get fidgety with my hands, so I'll usually have a paper with a crossword and sodoku out in public with me.

And in case you guys didn't know - it's cheating to look at the box when you do jigsaw puzzles. My dad taught me that when I was very young, so I never do and plan to teach any children I have the same thing. It's good for critical thinking, too.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i love jigsaw puzzles! :cloud9: i enjoy word searches. and i really like the cross sums puzzles and cryptograms too. :D i also really enjoy mazes.

and i like solitaire games a lot too. there's a random chance to it, but the way i do them allows me to see pretty quickly (especially in games like pyramid solitaire) if there's no possibility to win that particular hand/game. i really enjoy the solitaire games that i'm able to think ahead, plan moves in advance in order to allow for upcoming moves.

i've tried the sudoku puzzles, but haven't enjoyed them. :dunno:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Sudoku fans: Sudoku 9x9 - Free Online Sudoku Puzzles This is a particularly good implementation of the game. You can choose the level of difficulty; it doesn't repeat itself (unless you ask it to); and the color-marking feature can be very useful. The only problem with it is that you need to be online to play it, though I believe you can print out individual puzzles to take with you.

And for solitaire fans, this is an especially challenging solitaire game, for Windows computers only: Eight-Across - Solitaire Game It was written by a friend of mine and I'm dead certain that there are no viruses in it, though I encourage you to virus check it anyway. It will work on any version of Windows, from XP up, and runs well on Windows tablets as well as desktops and laptops, and you won't find any other implementation of it anywhere.

Margret

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoy trying to complete a crossword and also a jigsaw which I do on my coffee table. The only problem I have is that invariably one of my cats will jump onto the table, skid across and most of the pieces end on the floor and I have to start again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoy trying to complete a crossword and also a jigsaw which I do on my coffee table. The only problem I have is that invariably one of my cats will jump onto the table, skid across and most of the pieces end on the floor and I have to start again.
I bought myself a puzzle board about a year ago. I always worried about my kids getting into the puzzles and then of course the cats! So I go this! I think I had a little Christmas money still but I also don't think I paid quite this much for it. ;) I'd LOVE one of their tables for it if I had the room to keep it. The board itself is nice to hold and move. It's not too heavy or cumbersome to move around.

My best friend got me into jigsaws. Her dad was hospitalized a lot when she was a kid. So they'd work on puzzles together there. I don't usually look at the picture because it's fun to discover the details as you go. But I do separate into edges and color categories. ;) I really want to get her that puzzle that's made up of 1,000 different colors. :thumbsup: 1,000 Colors Puzzle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles . The board is a great idea. I might try to make something that will keep the pieces onto a board. Thanks for the idea.
The board looks like a cork board but it's covered in almost a velvetish feeling fabric. Not as thick. It keeps things from sliding around. Some felt over a cork board might work perfectly! Or an empty picture frame.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love the Word Jumble where they scramble all the letters and you have to figure out the correct word. I also like to do word searches.