Monday's Question of the Day - December 8, 2014

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I may keep up Christmasey Questions till the New Year; sorry! 

Do  you send Christmas or Holiday cards?

I'm working on some now.  Every year I say I'll send less; but I don't.
  I do love to receive them and I keep them for at least a year.  Some are so pretty!  I've got a few saved to frame "someday." 
  Once my kids get dressed we are heading to the post office for stamps!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to but in recent years have slacked off severely.  Mainly, because I felt I was the only one sending them.  Nobody else was, no family, no friends lol.  So, I'm saving the expense this year.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just too lazy to do them this year. I may just make up a few to send to my closer friends and family.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did a family card every single year when the girls were little.  As time went on, people stopped sending them to us.  Then everyone in the family got Facebook pages and my kids post pictures on there where the family can see them.  The last time I sent anything off was 2011, that was when my oldest was a senior and we had a couple of people that weren't going to get graduation announcements, so I sent a card with her senior picture in it instead.  I guess I could do that again, though now there's only 2-3 people that I'd even consider sending that too, and they're all friends with me on facebook anyways.  And I will probably post a zillion pictures of her in her cap and gown come June.  

It's kind of sad.  For years we'd decorate the house with the couple dozen cards we would get.  Now with everyone having social media, what's the point 

Cheryl

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sent 101 cards this year!  That covered family, friends and 2 forum card swaps.  I also put in a letter for the family and friends.  That is quite a drop from a few years ago.  About a dozen folks have died; and the numbers in the card swaps are way down.  One card swap used to be 60 easy, this year we got 15 to sign up.  The other one used to be 18 max, this year we are 4.

Now, folks take a nice photo and post that on the forum with a cheery message.  And post it on FB, as others have mentioned in this thread.  I also loved using the cards as decorations, they were always up in  a prominent place, easy to see.

Numbers dropped significantly in the forum swaps when the economy went bad in 2008. The postage is always a big factor, too.  With family, friends AND forum members overseas, I spent over $33 in postage for the 101 cards.  I saved money this year by using my own photo, and set things up on Walgreens' website.   Back in early November, they had a special, 50% off photo cards. My photo card caosts went from $150 last year to $27 this year.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never sent them growing up or as an adult.  I may send one to a few this year from the baby with a current pic because we do not do facebook.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep sending them every year, even if they don't respond. I know it makes you feel good to get one! The one thing I HATE is those 'form' letters/E-mails about what they did all year. There truly isn't anything more boring then reading what someone else did week by week all year. Please, if you send those, keep them short and interesting! Are my in-laws listening?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only send a few and sometimes I get the senders return. There is a friend who is a lawyer and he sends my husband and I 200.00 each Christmas. We split the money and I use it to buy presents for the 2 grandkids but we haven't received it yet and it is almost Christmas. Don't know what I'm going to do if we don't get it. No presents for the grandkids I guess. I'm depending on this money.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, it's very costly and I don't have anyone to send to. My parents even said the amount they receive is substantially lower than previous years, likely because of the cost and because their friends are learning how to use eCards.

I had an internet friend over in Vancouver ask for my address to send me a card, and she's a photographer so obviously her personal cards featured her cat and dog, which I really appreciated! That's the only one I've ever received, and that was last year.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I send a few out, largely to family and close friends. I wanted to do a special card from the cats again this year, but haven't had time to work on one. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I did a family card every single year when the girls were little.  As time went on, people stopped sending them to us.  Then everyone in the family got Facebook pages and my kids post pictures on there where the family can see them.  The last time I sent anything off was 2011, that was when my oldest was a senior and we had a couple of people that weren't going to get graduation announcements, so I sent a card with her senior picture in it instead.  I guess I could do that again, though now there's only 2-3 people that I'd even consider sending that too, and they're all friends with me on facebook anyways.  And I will probably post a zillion pictures of her in her cap and gown come June.  

It's kind of sad.  For years we'd decorate the house with the couple dozen cards we would get.  Now with everyone having social media, what's the point 

Cheryl

I used to but in recent years have slacked off severely.  Mainly, because I felt I was the only one sending them.  Nobody else was, no family, no friends lol.  So, I'm saving the expense this year.
That's partly why I have felt like I didn't want to bother anymore.  I enjoy getting them; but when people don't reciprocate I take it as a sign that I can not send one the next year.  It felt rude; but I did track last year who sent me one.  Partly so I can cut down my list this year and partly so I don't forget someone who took the time to send me one last year.  

I guess because most of my friends have little kids at this point; we send and receive family photo cards.  I decided to just order prints this year and put them in regular cards.  But I love getting pictures from my friends.  I keep one side of my refrigerator dedicated to the pictures I get.  I love updating it every year.  Most use some form of social media as well; but it's nice having the physical print there.  My kids will stand there and look at the pictures too.  In a way; it's sad it's a dying tradition. 

I sent 101 cards this year!  That covered family, friends and 2 forum card swaps.  I also put in a letter for the family and friends.  That is quite a drop from a few years ago.  About a dozen folks have died; and the numbers in the card swaps are way down.  One card swap used to be 60 easy, this year we got 15 to sign up.  The other one used to be 18 max, this year we are 4.

Now, folks take a nice photo and post that on the forum with a cheery message.  And post it on FB, as others have mentioned in this thread.  I also loved using the cards as decorations, they were always up in  a prominent place, easy to see.

Numbers dropped significantly in the forum swaps when the economy went bad in 2008. The postage is always a big factor, too.  With family, friends AND forum members overseas, I spent over $33 in postage for the 101 cards.  I saved money this year by using my own photo, and set things up on Walgreens' website.   Back in early November, they had a special, 50% off photo cards. My photo card caosts went from $150 last year to $27 this year.
 WOW!  That's a lot!!  I just got back from the post office getting stamps and shipping a package and spent over $50.  My wallet cried. 
  And i still have 2 or 3 packages to mail this year. 

I keep sending them every year, even if they don't respond. I know it makes you feel good to get one! The one thing I HATE is those 'form' letters/E-mails about what they did all year. There truly isn't anything more boring then reading what someone else did week by week all year. Please, if you send those, keep them short and interesting! Are my in-laws listening?
I have to say; I am so with you on the letters!  They can be interesting; but some people just don't have the knack for writing it out.  One person I know always wrote them in the 3rd person which was strange to follow for up to 2 pages.  Not that I'd EVER tell them that!  But I do read them. They took the time to write/type it. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep a box of cards and pen by my chair in the living room. I open my cards received in the mail there. I save the envelopes and write one back to that person. Sorry, I know that seems weird, but it saves me from sending cards to folks I never hear from. :lol3:

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I send or hand deliver a few cards each year. I'm really not into Christmas, and its hard to get into writing out cards.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I like getting cards and have friends who do too se we exchange, not many though, probably 6 or 7.  I also send to a couple of people in my family like my mom.   A few to my parents' friends that I grew up knowing and a couple of former neighbours who now live in supported apartments or nursing homes now they are older.   They're in  a similar place to my mom and don't have too many people around them so I still send to them and most send to me too.  If I don't hear from them I reckon it means something's happened to them which is sad.  In total I send about 15 to 20 cards which isn't too bad to do and hand deliver if possible  (obviously not international ones  LoL).  I send more as a festive / holiday season thing to people and try to avoid religious message cards unless I know the person is in to that kind of thing.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I stopped years ago. The numbers were dwindling. We get a few, including 2 form Christmas letters. I used to send gifts as well, but now it's just immediate family. Nowadays, I bake a lot and give out trays.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup!

Mainly to my grandmother, aunts and a couple of close friends and neighbours.

I still favour it, even in the advent of electronic methods I find it more intimate and in some cases, more appropriate/polite.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I send and receive two. One from England and one from America. .I'd love to get more but I don't know any other non Jewish people except you lot.
101 cards? My word. I take my hat off to you

littlelion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do try to send them whenever I can to friends/family