Monday and young kitten

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put my 17 year old Polkie to sleep on Thursday night. He had CRF. While crying and waiting for paperwork I saw a sign and an empty cage. It said "ADOPT US" That night Dusky, my 4 year old female cat cried all night for Polkie. I went back to the vet's and got Mojo. A 5 week old male that Dusky has adopted instantly as her own baby. My question is should I separate them on Monday? It's driving me crazy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm worried about all the nooks and cranies in the house

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'm not sure why you'd separate them?
Agreed. Things usually don't go so neatly, unless you are afraid that the kitten has a disease that he will give to the older cat? Since you got the baby at the vet, you could ask them, but my advice is don't break up a beautiful friendship!

I'm so sorry about the loss of your older kitty. Age 17 is a respectable age to go and it sounds like you loved Polkie very much. She was lucky to have an owner like you and who knows she may be responsible for your adoption of the baby to fill the hole in Dusky's heart? They do that somethimes!

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I do feel like Polkie gave me Mojo. I have never seen this vet having an adoption program before. I guess I'll leave Mojo in Dusky's care on Monday

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm assuming that you're talking about keeping the little one locked up during the day while you're away at work or school since he's so tiny, correct? If so, that's a good idea, but I'd put BOTH of them, plus food, water, and litter box in a room together.

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YES! I was never very good at expressing myself. I want to lock Mojo in the Bathroom for the day on Monday and I just wanted to make double sure that locking Dusky there as well would be OK

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget the toys, too. When we first got Hannah at 7 mo, we'd put her in a spare bedroom anytime we left the house and while we slept so she wouldn't get into anything and hurt herself or destroy anything, or torture our older cat. She did fine.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might try a trial run just to make sure your older cat isn't going to be upset by suddenly being confined to bathroom.