Mom's cat is not acting right

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've never heard good thigns about Banfield

This is a tad off topic but I must say I froze when I saw this and had to comment.  I took Nat to Banfield (at Petsmart of course) on a Sunday in 2011 exactly 3 months before I noticed his first grand mal seizure.  They did an Xray of his belly and blood work which was forwarded to the vet who had come to the house to see him.  All in all $600 for nothing.  Everything looked good, yet he was throwing up green bile and not eating much.  The vet also PUSHED me to let her give him a rabies shot that day.  What?  Why would you give a sick cat a rabies shot?  I refused.  She kept insisting, to the point where it was completely obnoxious, which I found suspicious.  It could be she had already given it and was asking for consent after the fact.  I told NO emphatically and that I would make an appt to come back for rabies later on in the week.  I cancelled that appt.  Yes, they seemed inept.  But my regular vet looked at the X-ray and labs and agreed with them.  (Nat doesn't see her anymore either.)  

My 2 cents....when you recommend to others to "find a good vet", do you realize what a tall order this is and that there's no way to do that except by trial and error?  Some folks simply do not have wads of cash to keep scheduling appt after appt with this vet and that in order to "find a good vet".  It's so frustrating!  Any thoughts on how to find a good vet?  I'm still looking also.  Nat has been sick for 4 years now and during that time he has seen 4 vets plus however many he saw during his 3 stays in ICU.  No one knows what is wrong with him!

Correction:  Nat has been in ICU about 4 times, not three, ever since March 2012.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask around and see which vets friends have had good experiences with. Staff in independent pet shops may also have some pointers. Check out online reviews where possible too. Failing that, you could always post here and ask if anyone knows of good vets in your general area.

nekohugger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I say keep looking, i understand you dont have money but the sooner you find a good vet, the quicker Nate's chances at a better and longer life. I have owned my 8 month kitten for 4 months now and have taken him to 5 different vets and an ER, each time i chose another was because the pricing seemed cheaper although i could clearly see the difference in quality from the moment i walked through the door. You can always ask for a consultation and do what i did and google reviews, I saw 6 negative reviews on my local Banfield and decided to search here for better insight, Im so glad I did because clearly, this is no place to go to. From my experience, the VCA has been my final decision and they are nationwide so i would recommend visiting your local one to gather your own opinion. (ER approved of them as well) Like Banfield, i googled my local VCA but instead saw nothing but great reviews so I decided to visit. Also, the first visit is FREE at VCA! Lastly, if you want to actively seek a "good vet" because your cat is sick, i would suggest looking into pet insurance. This way, no matter which practicioner office you visit, you are covered.

* Petinsurance.com is a Nationwide on your side company and they offer a comprehensive package that covers 90% of everything, even claims. The only thing they do not cover is food and boarding. I applied after a $4000 vet bill, it was either pay or Euthanize, straight from the ER's mouth. And like David, I decided my baby wanted to live - so I sought help. Goodluck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

davey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know how Kat is doing as an update.

She was given many forms of anti-flea medication and collars and now she is not obsessively licking anymore, and no more sores on her tail. Her coat has come back in very full. 
Also, on another site I found that a constipated cat behaves like ours did. They suggested mixing a bit of oil in the food. I think I had fish oil, or olive oil. I put a bit, maybe a teaspoonful, and put into her wet food. She only ate a bit. Her poop came out. She began coming out from under sofa and being happy again. For pooping and peeing all over I saw on this site someone saying to buy from Staples Brighton's Enzyme Plus, as it is a gallon for just over $20, and is concentrated so you just use a bit with a gallon of water. That worked! No more stench except in the litter box. Now people can stand coming into our home. 

So my suggestion is that those who mean well here and love cats do not assume the most dire possible situation, and refrain from suggesting putting a pet to death. 
Would you meet a mom online and tell her, or her son to tell the mom, that her daughter should be euthanized and put out of her misery for being constipated and having head lice? 
Something to think about.

Enjoy the photos of Kat now fat. 

David

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear it!  This is great news!

I too was told by some family members who don't like cats, and even others who do, to have Nat put to sleep when he started having seizures.  I recall even someone here at this site told me the same thing!  But if I had, I would have missed out on his sweet personality for the past 4 years.  Situations can get better!  

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very glad she is doing better.  To be clear, I thought putting her to sleep would only be the better option if medical attention were not possible.  She was in bad shape and I'm very glad that help was an option.

davey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Ginny,

I am glad for you and for your cat to have found each other. 

Mom's cat has many things wrong with it from birth, we were told...pukes a lot, and breathing problems. I am pretty sure she is hard of hearing and maybe not perfect vision. But mom and I are also hard of hearing! So she found the right home. 

David

davey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PS
Right now Kat is curled up in a ball of fur on my lap while I am trying to type this. She purrs to sleep there as she is so glad I am back home. 

David

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi Ginny,

I am glad for you and for your cat to have found each other. 

Mom's cat has many things wrong with it from birth, we were told...pukes a lot, and breathing problems. I am pretty sure she is hard of hearing and maybe not perfect vision. But mom and I are also hard of hearing! So she found the right home. 

David
Puking a lot and breathing problems could be helped with diet.  Grain-free food may help some with that.  Does she eat canned or dry?  

davey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually we were told she was born with medical problems. Just like humans can have allergies and asthma. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a cause for these things though, and they're usually environmentally/diet related.  

I'm a nurse (human, not kitty) and asthma can result from intestinal permeability (leaky gut) which happens because of grain consumption, antibiotics, pesticides/herbicides in non-organic foods, poor nutrition from highly processed or packaged foods. Grain in cereals and bread you usually get in the stores isn't good for anybody.  Especially not for cats. It's not species appropriate.  Grain free isn't hard to do and doesn't even have to be expensive either.  Just look for the pate variety in Friskies or the classic line in Fancy Feast.  Stay away from gravies and from most treats. That's why I asked if your mom feeds her canned or dry.