Mommy cat barely eating!

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is a little over a year and her kitten who is five and a half months old. We got both of them fixed last Wednesday and ever since my little one has been drinking and eating like a bottomless pit but my momma cat has barely been eating. Im starting to get worried! Shes getting really skinny (shes always been a very petitie n slim cat) but this is more than her usual smallness. You can actually see indents infront of her hind legs and we are getting scared.
. Is there anything i can do to get her to eat more again? Make her get her appetite back? Anything?!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should take her back to the vet - there is the possibilty of an infection from spaying. That is not something you want to mess with.

Hope she gets better

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding her?

Get the stinkiest canned food you can find, put a bit on a small plate and microwave for a few seconds to get it just warm. The heat will enhance the aroma and might entice her to eat.

Canned tuna or salmon

Baby food, meat, stage 2 with no garlic or onions

Boiled chicken breast in plain water. Shred and see if she'll eat that.

She's GOT to eat or her liver will start shutting down. This is crucial and she needs to go to the vet NOW to be checked out.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would c heck with the vet as well. She might have an infection or just not feel well. I will say though that every cat I've gotten spayed has looked a little concave for a week or so after the surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, shes not active at all.. She spends most of her day in my room just sleeping. And we have been puttin out wet food because we know she likes that more but she doesnt eat a lot of it, her son usually finishes it lol

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her behavior is her way of telling you she is not feeling well.

A vet visit ASAP is needed.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not eating is not normal. Please, take her to the vet now, without any more delay.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Time to a the very least call and tell the vet what you have told us

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree call the vet.

But I will add that my females both looked concaved in the back end after spaying. They are removing the reproductive organs.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news everyone! Sorry i forgot to update a couple days ago but momma is eating againn! Shes eating almost normally now. And no visits to the vet either
. Yayy, i think it was just the cone that was depressing her

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for updating us and I'm glad she's doing better. You didn't mention the cone before. If you had, I would have advised you to take it off during meal times.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty just got back from his neuter along with a cone on his head last Friday. We very very quickly discovered we had to remove it during meal times and when he wanted to use the litter box.