Momma with acne, newborns with fleas

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!

Recently, 2.5 weeks ago, my cat gave birth to a litter of five adorable kittens. This is my cat's second pregnancy after the first where all the kittens passed away due to limited milk supply. Now, my cat seems to be more at ease and would occasionally go inside to feed her babies for around 30 minutes to an hour then come back outside and lie around the living room with my family and I. The kitties seems healthy with their eyes wide open, exploring their environment, playing with each other and my family and most of all developing a distinct and unique attitude. Their weight are on average 230g, 3 of them in their 240's, 1 in 220's and 1 tagging far behind in the 210's. Is this healthy? I do hope so. One has a black and white striped body  with a goldish black face, another is striped with gold and black, there's one that has stripes of gold and white and two that look exactly identical with a white underbelly and gold body. 

Yesterday, I found peculiar black spots around the edge of my cat's mouth which, as I searched, could mean blackheads with the potential risk of feline cat acne or dental infection. As instructed by a veterinary website, I soaked my cat's chin in warm to hot water and wiped with a washcloth to open up the pores, after that I got some apple cider vinegar and gently applied it on my cat's chin and after washing it thoroughly, I found no more blackheads. Now, I swapped my cat's food bowl into a glass and ceramic one and gently wipe her chin after every meal. Is that right? Should I do anything more? Will the acne affect the kitties? 

A week ago, I also noticed fleas on Tammy, the mommy, and searched if there was anything I could do about it. Accordingly, I can't use any chemicals on her as she is breast feeding so I let it be, hoping nature would cure it. A couple days back, I saw those nasty black insects crawling around on the kittens' fur and it sure gave me a real fright. Once again, I searched the internet to no result. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the fleas? Will it affect the kittens? I want to take them all to the vet but I'm not sure if car motion was healthy for the kittens. Is it? 

I would really appreciate if you could drop any advice, it'll help  A LOT. thanks 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Advantage II on momma is safe, and it will give some protections for the kittens too.

Di-acetomeus earth  DE of food grade is also working.

But begin to comb them vigorously with a tight comb, and wash that comb in water with some dish soap, dawn for example...

If they are heavily infested, you shall bathe them in dawn water,  very careful they dont get chilled out, of course, not during the bath nor afterwards.

The weights looks good, although be observant with the smallest.

Hey everyone!

Recently, 2.5 weeks ago, my cat gave birth to a litter of five adorable kittens. This is my cat's second pregnancy after the first where all the kittens passed away due to limited milk supply. Now, my cat seems to be more at ease and would occasionally go inside to feed her babies for around 30 minutes to an hour then come back outside and lie around the living room with my family and I. The kitties seems healthy with their eyes wide open, exploring their environment, playing with each other and my family and most of all developing a distinct and unique attitude. Their weight are on average 230g, 3 of them in their 240's, 1 in 220's and 1 tagging far behind in the 210's. Is this healthy? I do hope so. One has a black and white striped body  with a goldish black face, another is striped with gold and black, there's one that has stripes of gold and white and two that look exactly identical with a white underbelly and gold body. 

Yesterday, I found peculiar black spots around the edge of my cat's mouth which, as I searched, could mean blackheads with the potential risk of feline cat acne or dental infection. As instructed by a veterinary website, I soaked my cat's chin in warm to hot water and wiped with a washcloth to open up the pores, after that I got some apple cider vinegar and gently applied it on my cat's chin and after washing it thoroughly, I found no more blackheads. Now, I swapped my cat's food bowl into a glass and ceramic one and gently wipe her chin after every meal. Is that right? Should I do anything more? Will the acne affect the kitties? 

A week ago, I also noticed fleas on Tammy, the mommy, and searched if there was anything I could do about it. Accordingly, I can't use any chemicals on her as she is breast feeding so I let it be, hoping nature would cure it. A couple days back, I saw those nasty black insects crawling around on the kittens' fur and it sure gave me a real fright. Once again, I searched the internet to no result. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the fleas? Will it affect the kittens? I want to take them all to the vet but I'm not sure if car motion was healthy for the kittens. Is it? 

I would really appreciate if you could drop any advice, it'll help  A LOT. thanks 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Advantage II on momma is safe, and it will give some protections for the kittens too.

But begin to comb them vigorously with a tight comb, and wash that comb in water with some dish soap, dawn for example...

If they are heavily infested, you shall bathe them in dawn water,  very careful they dont get chilled out, of course, not during the bath nor afterwards.

The weights looks good, although be observant with the smallest.

The weights looks good, although be observant

I will try [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji] when i combed them today i found roughly 20-30 fleas on each kitty; does that count as infestation? If so, how can i bathe them with Tammy being aggravated every time they meow? Is it safe to bathe them this young?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, that is much. You must act vigorously whatever you do.

You CAN bathe them, but be sure they dont get chilled, not during nor afterwards, no draugh, warm heating pad...

If Tammy managed you do it while she looks on, and sees nothing bad is happening, fine, otherwise you must prob lock her in another room for a while...

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@StefanZ

Oh, then i cant imagine how much Tammy would have [emoji]128534[/emoji]
Is there anything other than a heating pad that i could use? I cant find any heating pads my local pet stores...

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The internet shows that ADAMS FLEA AND TICK SPRAY FOR CATS is safe for young kittens like mine, any experience with it?

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The internet shows that ADAMS FLEA AND TICK SPRAY FOR CATS is safe for young kittens like mine, any experience with it?
I cant anything about it, I dont live in your country either.   but as a rule of thumb, preparates made by big medical corportation doing human medicine or vet medicines, are safe.  They have first rate quality control, and dont afford bad reputation.

Preparates made by companies directly for end consumer, are often less reliable...

As heating pad, you can use fill a sock with common rice, and heat it up in micro - 5 minutes is usual.  Make some tests!   This holds warmt several hours.

Here a common warm water bottle should be enough - its about a half hour after the bath, good enough.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Z zaytgoldheart

Adams is truly nasty, strong stuff and can make your kittens sick. Full of chemicals. I do NOT suggest using it!

Do not use any Hartz or Sergeants products either. They also cause horrible burning and itching.

Your best bet is Advantage II on mom, and a couple of drops on each kitten's neck following a flea bath with Dawn only - no flea shampoo. Advantage II is safe on mom while nursing. It is available at pet stores.

20-30 fleas is an infestation. You must kill these fleas. You'll need to wash all bedding in hot water to kill eggs and larvae.

Do you plan to spay your cat after this litter weans?

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@zaytgoldheart

Adams is truly nasty, strong stuff and can make your kittens sick. Full of chemicals. I do NOT suggest using it!

Do not use any Hartz or Sergeants products either. They also cause horrible burning and itching.

Your best bet is Advantage II on mom, and a couple of drops on each kitten's neck following a flea bath with Dawn only - no flea shampoo. Advantage II is safe on mom while nursing. It is available at pet stores.

20-30 fleas is an infestation. You must kill these fleas. You'll need to wash all bedding in hot water to kill eggs and larvae.

Do you plan to spay your cat after this litter weans?
Thanks for the help! I also saw a few other cat blogs saying that Adams could be very strong. Definitely not going to use them on my cats. Advantage II is quite pricey where I'm in but I'll work my way around it :)

I will wash bedding as soon as I can, as well as bathing the little kittens as well as their mom. Is it safe to bathe them when they're only 2 and a half weeks old? The responsibility, my God.

I don't think I'm going to spay my cat just yet, my family and I will decide on that later when the kittens are older. At the moment, we're not planning to. We love all those mischievous little fellas! ;) 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help! I also saw a few other cat blogs saying that Adams could be very strong. Definitely not going to use them on my cats. Advantage II is quite pricey where I'm in but I'll work my way around it :)
I will wash bedding as soon as I can, as well as bathing the little kittens as well as their mom. Is it safe to bathe them when they're only 2 and a half weeks old? The responsibility, my God.
I don't think I'm going to spay my cat just yet, my family and I will decide on that later when the kittens are older. At the moment, we're not planning to. We love all those mischievous little fellas! ;) 
Cats can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, and without going into heat. If you are going to leave her intact, she cannot go outside or be around any intact males at all. She should not have more than one litter per year.

Where are you getting the males? If it's random cats outside, this is how sexually transmitted diseases and parasites are spread. They can be fatal.

My other concern here is that you are contributing to kitty overpopulation. There are tons and tons of kittens that need homes. How are the kittens being rehomed? Maybe you could foster a pregnant mom in need instead of letting your cat have multiple litters.

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@talkingpeanut

I see.... She is a fully indoor cat and never goes out, my neighbors don't usually have cats, instead dogs. 

My new next door neighbor just bought a gold Persian male cat around the same age as Tammy and she was meowing excessively so I decided to put her in my neighbor's house for a couple of days. Their cat is also a fully indoor cat. My neighbour has now also moved away so there is no male cats around. 

We still don't think we'll spay her as it costs lots of money and since she's a fully indoor cat, I don't think she will get pregnant again. The last pregnancy was given to her by my other persian cat that went missing almost a year ago.. Is that alright?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut

I see.... She is a fully indoor cat and never goes out, my neighbors don't usually have cats, instead dogs. 
My new next door neighbor just bought a gold Persian male cat around the same age as Tammy and she was meowing excessively so I decided to put her in my neighbor's house for a couple of days. Their cat is also a fully indoor cat. My neighbour has now also moved away so there is no male cats around. 

We still don't think we'll spay her as it costs lots of money and since she's a fully indoor cat, I don't think she will get pregnant again. The last pregnancy was given to her by my other persian cat that went missing almost a year ago.. Is that alright?
She was meowing a lot because she was in heat. That will continue happening. For some cats, it's every month, for some it's more frequent.

How did she get pregnant with the first litter?

I would still advise that you spay her, and we can help you to find a low cost clinic! For one, mom is very uncomfortable every time she's in heat. Two, each heat increases the likelihood of reproductive cancers. Three, she is in danger of getting pyrometria, which is fatal if untreated. If that develops, which we see frequently, she will need an emergency spay which is far more expensive.

Do you plan to keep any of the kittens?

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! 

Earlier today, I have also conceived of another problem 
 . I noticed two of my kittens, Rosy and Cinno have lost almost 15 grams in two days! The other 3, (Fuzzy, El Macho, Frappie/Frappucino) are fine. Here's a quick insight into their personality to help decipher why they could be losing weight.

- Rosy ~~ {female, I think} loves to sleep in dark/shady places. Meows very loud, loves to fight with Fuzzy over the nipples. 

- Cinno ~~ {female, I think} loves to venture and explore places. Most curious, adventurous and brave. When others are asleep she's awake. 

- Fuzzy ~~ {male, I think} loves to eat momma's food. Very adventurous. Meows loudly. Likes to play with El Macho and Frappie. Originally the weakest one but doing fine now, at almost 300g. 

- El Macho ~~ {male} loves to play. most playful. Always hungry. Always try to explore (e.g: climb over gate, etc.) but always fail. 

- Frappie/Frappucino ~~ {male} is carried a lot by the mother. Healthiest at 310-320g.  Loves t o play REALLY rough with others especially Fuzzy. Loves to sleep. Always fight for the same nipple when drinking. 

Rosy is currently 241g and Rosy is 264g. Rosy also has a constipation problem from what I notice - 2 days ago I carried her on her stomach and she instantly pooped and meowed loudly. This happened two times that day but for the past day and today nothing happened. ShouldI be worried?Mother is also very frustrated and aggravated nowadays. Moving the babies almost 10 times yesterday. We're going to send to the vet later but is there any advice or anything? We don't know the breed of the father as he was just a stray but looked somewhat persian. Pls advise! We've grown so attached with the little muchkins! Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may possibly be forced to extra feed them.  Do you have by any chance access to raw goats milk?  Fresh or frozen?  Bottled or powdered goats milk is OK to use too, but its not the same edge.  Raw goats milk can by itself be tried in unclear cases, and become the "tongue on the scale"

If you cant neither, get home some good kmr.  GNC is made on goats milk as base. Otherwise powdered KMR by PetAg...

Use a needleless syringe if necessary (tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, slowly) - kittens having momma are often reluctant to bottle.

They are also old enough now for deworming.  Some mild pyrantel preparate perhaps...

The often recurring movings MAY be the reason, lets hope so.  But if its not, you must at least begin to support feed them.

Its also possible the momma begins to get end of her reserves. 5 kittens now 3+ weeks, does take toll.  Be sure momma gets first class nourishment, as much as she wants.   Kitten- nursing mommas type, NOT  labelled for Adults.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Z zaytgoldheart

Losing 15 grams is very serious! You need to feed these kittens yourself immediately using a small, needleless syringe and kitten formula.

Tell me what each weighs and I will give you feeding amounts.

Mama moving the kittens 10 times is ridiculous. Can you settle her into a room and close the door? Put her food, water, and litter in the room. Make sure the room is kitten-proofed. It sounds like she needs privacy!

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

You may possibly be forced to extra feed them.  Do you have by any chance access to raw goats milk?  Fresh or frozen?  Bottled or powdered goats milk is OK to use too, but its not the same edge.  Raw goats milk can by itself be tried in unclear cases, and become the "tongue on the scale"

If you cant neither, get home some good kmr.  GNC is made on goats milk as base. Otherwise powdered KMR by PetAg...

Use a needleless syringe if necessary (tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, slowly) - kittens having momma are often reluctant to bottle.

They are also old enough now for deworming.  Some mild pyrantel preparate perhaps...

The often recurring movings MAY be the reason, lets hope so.  But if its not, you must at least begin to support feed them.

Its also possible the momma begins to get end of her reserves. 5 kittens now 3+ weeks, does take toll.  Be sure momma gets first class nourishment, as much as she wants.   Kitten- nursing mommas type, NOT  labelled for Adults.
I am currently feeding them MILKODOG milk powder (reference: http://m.kkpet.com.my/index.php?ws=...t Supplement And Care&subcat=Milk Replacement)

every half hour after momma's feeding which is on 1.5 hour intervals, is it too much? I have never came across any goats milk before in where I live and it's price is REALLY expensive and I can't afford it :( 

My little three goofballs, Fuzzy, Frappie and El Macho, fell in love with the milk and enjoy suckling the bottle whilst the two weaker ones would rather just take a few gulps and wander away to nap. The irony.

I think their ready to start weaning, the signs are starting to show: walk, stand, run, jump steadily. play with each other. momma carries them to litter box. they all love momma's food and always eats it with her. Should I start weaning or wait a little longer till the weaker two become heavier and healthier; other than that they play just as much as the others. 

I feed the momma MONGE Atlantic Tuna mixed in with homemade veggie paste that contains:

- Broccoli

- Carrots

- Pumpkins
- Dory (fish) 

- One hard boiled egg

the ingredients were boiled together and blended till turning into a thick paste where we added some cooked white rice and blended until it become an orange paste. Tammy (momma) seems to enjoy eating it. Coincidentally, once we changed her regular diet of plain atlantic tuna to this paste and tuna remix dish, that was when the two babies started dropping weight. Could this be the reason? If it is, why aren't the other three also affected? Should we change back to her original food diet of plain Atlantic tuna?

zaytgoldheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@zaytgoldheart

Losing 15 grams is very serious! You need to feed these kittens yourself immediately using a small, needleless syringe and kitten formula.

Tell me what each weighs and I will give you feeding amounts.

Mama moving the kittens 10 times is ridiculous. Can you settle her into a room and close the door? Put her food, water, and litter in the room. Make sure the room is kitten-proofed. It sounds like she needs privacy!
Yes, we are feeding them every half hour after momma feeds them (which is at a 1.5 hour interval). 

I can't give you the weight now as my weighing machine had a temporary dysfunction but they're roughly:

- Rosy : this morning- 260+g ___ now at night - 256+g

- Cinno : this morning- 259g ___ now at night - 254g

- all the others are gaining and are over 300g - Frappie taking the lead in his 320+g.

Not really 10 times - more on five - seven times. Actually, we already do keep her in a room, close the door, put food, water and litter and kitten-proofed it. But occasionally when the kitties are asleep we'd let her out for a while. 40 minutes at most. When she moves the kittens, she moves it within her room. The room we put her in is actually a guest room so we took out the matress to the bed and used the bedframe like a gate/fence to keep the kitties from going outside but the momma can easily jump over it. My house is all marble so I'm worried when Tammy carries her babies out, they'll get cold. We never on the AC in their room. We keep their room in room temperature of about 25-36 degrees celcius. Is it temperature important for kittens their age?

The thing about privacy, you see, every 1.5 hours we'd go in and feed her while she feeds her babies and after that we'll feed them milk for another half hour. After that every half hour we would check on them and see if they are alright and stuff like that. Should we give them more space? We're all just very worried and want to have the best for them :) :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm confused. Does the bedroom door remain closed, or open with the bed frame in front of it?

Is mama kitty jumping over the bed frame with a kitten in her mouth?

It's important that you be able to weigh the kittens to see if they are gaining weight now that you are supplementing.