Momma Mia again my delimma

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of years ago after I had finally trapped Momma Mia and her last litter of kittens, I struggled with whether to release her since it was winter.
I did indeed release her and I still feed her at my work.
I have a new friend up there whom I named Atticus. MM and Atticus where both eating in the saw spot and when he was around she started allowing me to pet her. I built shelters for each of them, but he started getting territorial and kinda bullies her. Now she insists on staying under the infamous shed she kept all her kittens under. I have Atticus a place set up in the doorway of our building. His shelter will stay dry. Hers will not.
We just went under a new administrator and so far I haven’t heard any complaints.
I WILL be bring Atticus to my outbuilding so he can be neutered and we can see how he does inside and if he overcomes his ladt but skidishnes we will try to send him up North in IL to a rescue.
So, long story long I’m wondering again if I should bring Momma Mia home for the winter as we are going to have extreme temperatures and rain.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have a strong background in strays and ferals - particularly not ferals. But, if you have the set up to handle bringing MM home, what specifically is your hesitation? Maybe I am missing some 'particulars'?

She is definitely not going to compete with Atticus, and he has the better accommodations based on what you are saying. Whether or not now is the right time to bring her to your home is really pretty much based on your experience and willingness to try to adapt her to a different, but obviously more comfortable and safer, environment. Otherwise, your only other choice would be to try to weather-proof her existing shed.

I presume when you say to bring her 'home' it would be inside at least for the winter?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a reason why you cannot permanently bring her to your residence and have her live inside? I have brought 6 feral cats inside my house to live. One lived outside for 8 years. All of them adjusted with time and love being inside. It does take some time, effort and adjustment, but with the right set up, most will learn to love inside living.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a strong background in strays and ferals - particularly not ferals. But, if you have the set up to handle bringing MM home, what specifically is your hesitation? Maybe I am missing some 'particulars'?

She is definitely not going to compete with Atticus, and he has the better accommodations based on what you are saying. Whether or not now is the right time to bring her to your home is really pretty much based on your experience and willingness to try to adapt her to a different, but obviously more comfortable and safer, environment. Otherwise, your only other choice would be to try to weather-proof her existing shed.

I presume when you say to bring her 'home' it would be inside at least for the winter?
My hesitation is bringing her to a different location and again returning her to her original location.
Home would be at my address, but in an out building where she will be out of the elements.
Atticus definitely has the better accommodations. Once he is no longer there she can have those if she chooses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason why you cannot permanently bring her to your residence and have her live inside? I have brought 6 feral cats inside my house to live. One lived outside for 8 years. All of them adjusted with time and love being inside. It does take some time, effort and adjustment, but with the right set up, most will learn to love inside living.
Yes, I already have 6 of my own cats, 4 of which are her offspring. I also have 3 foster cats, one of which is FeLv Positive and has one of my 2 bedrooms to herself. I have decided NOT to have my own cats retested for FeLv and I do not have a room to properly introduce her.
If, she does continue to make progress I will likely keep her at my home in the outbuidling even though I was going to use it for future fosters.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always a juggling act with feral rescues. I had ten in a trailer and way more in my home as I worked through things. I have an Felv too. I call it musical cat chairs. Lol I have slowly gotten adapted with various supplies. Large cages and more recently catios inside my living room. Lol It’s all about giving them the safest and most comfortable life. The catio inside serves to keep my FIV and FeLV cat apart. They take turns having time out and about. You may reach a point when you do have management complaints and a cage or cat space inside would be an extra “room” in your house so the shed is still an option for others. I found my first cages at estate sales, yard sales and even borrowed some at first. This “Cat Climber” is a kit and I modified it myself. I often see this model on sale but others are out there. I put them on wheels so I can move them around as needed. Some cages this size are less money but this one is wood and may last better. Not sure. We shall see! Lol Here is a picture for you in case it helps. The two inside were rescued together. There are three levels and they love it. Even when they come out, they return there after play time with no urging from me. Sometimes they just lounge on the catio roof. Lol
C131B0A9-15AF-46F6-8938-970186F2DD08.jpeg