Momma Leaving Babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the support and help! Quite a few people I know from off the internet kept telling me not to worry, that it's common for a couple to pass away. I never accept that as an answer, I won't give up without a fight and I am lucky to have fostered kittens that don't give up without a fight either! :) 

Haha yes, little fatty pumba, he is at 338 now and only two other siblings have just gotten into the 300's :p I think when we decide on names, he will be Pumba. Maybe I can go with a lion king theme! :) 

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just another update, babies are doing awesome. They all have names now. They are running around playing and terrorizing momma. Still not really eating on their own, a couple of them will try a tiny bit but then walk away. We keep the milk and mixed kitten canned food down for a while but they don't touch it. Any advice on that? Just keep trying I am assuming? :p 

We finally got on track, the past couple days they weren't gaining and the gray guy (Earl) lost some weight. I was only syringe feeding milk, I added mushed kitten canned food into that (again, I had it in previously but just left it out for whatever reason.) They gained a lot today and if they stay on this path, we are good to go! 

Fatty Pumba isn't the fattest anymore! His two brothers have passed him, although they seem to be in a battle to be heaviest, currently Fatty Pumba is number two! But tomorrow is a new day! :) 

Thanks again for all the help!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay now I can hardly stand this much cuteness!! I mean it, you should hear me after seeing that one!! SO CYOOOT!! Darnit!

So, kids are now a healthy 4 weeks, 1 day.

They will usually get interested while mom eats, and want to check it out in case they're missing out.

So they will go to it, maybe nibble a bit, but within this next week, you will really see them digging into her food.

The formula and milk won't be enough to keep them full, so they will be even more interested in just what the heck IS that she is eating :)

Same for the litterbox. Watching mom, and they will copy her.

Make sure the box has very low sides for easy access, it won't do them any good if they can't get into or out of easily.

Great job!!

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still not having luck with eating, still just the two nibbling then walking away. But I know it will take time :) They are actually already pros at using the litter box! They haven't had any accidents for a while now, they are doing great with that! Much easier then puppies :) 

They are super adorable and mom is so friendly, once they are spayed and neutered, I have no doubt they will all be snatched up by loving adopters!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They look healthy and wonderful!

About 5 weeks is when it will happen, some will sooner, others resist and need the bottle held back for a short time to get over that resistance, but that is just for bigger kids who love that darn bottle!!

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again, I need some more advice. 2 kittens are eating wet food on their own, there is a third one that ate a tiny bit but not much so I am not counting him yet. Should I continue syringe feeding them until they are all ready to eat or just allow them to feed from their mom and hope they all start to eat? I didn't syringe feed them yesterday and a few gained while a couple stayed the same (the ones that stayed the same were the ones eating the soft food, the ones that gained were the ones just drinking from mom.)

What do you think? I don't want them to just keep expecting to be syringe fed and not want to eat. The mom is supposed to go back to the shelter the 26th :/ 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hello again, I need some more advice. 2 kittens are eating wet food on their own, there is a third one that ate a tiny bit but not much so I am not counting him yet. Should I continue syringe feeding them until they are all ready to eat or just allow them to feed from their mom and hope they all start to eat? I didn't syringe feed them yesterday and a few gained while a couple stayed the same (the ones that stayed the same were the ones eating the soft food, the ones that gained were the ones just drinking from mom.)

What do you think? I don't want them to just keep expecting to be syringe fed and not want to eat. The mom is supposed to go back to the shelter the 26th :/ 
So they are just under 5 weeks, and I see no reason for them to need you, mom, and wet food.

They should be just fine on mom and wet.

At this age, it's not only their curiosity that prompts them to learn dish eating, but it's also they are hungrier, they just don't get full enough and satisfied, if they do, it doesn't last.

Think of it as a 5-6 month old baby who only gets a bottle, they get to an age they need more so begins the cereal added for weight and longivity of fullness.

As long as they are getting at least some milk from mom and have food they can eat when needed, no point in continuing syringing them.

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok great! :) I just felt a little bad because I don't want them to be hungry, but I guess they will eat if they are really hungry! A couple are doing it so the others just need to learn. 

I just realized I never posted a picture of the girl that I was most worried about. She is doing well now :) Still a cutie! I decided on the name Sarafina. 

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catwoman707 I wanted to update you again. Here is our "tiny girl"  that we were all so worried about. Sarafina is the biggest of the litter now! She has reached 2 pounds and will soon be spayed once another sibling hits 2 pounds. 

I want to thank you again for all your help. The whole litter is doing great! I sure am going to miss them though, I know they will all be adopted super fast! 

Sarafina:

Earl:

Lily:

Jasper:

Hank: