Momma Cat with Diarrhea and grumbling tummy

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My momma cat has diarrhea with gas and her stomach is rumbling.

I've been giving her kitten chow along with regular food but I was watching how much kitten chow she is eating because when she was pregnant she got diarrhea from it.

She is eating like crazy. Drinking a lot too. I read a couple of places that you should take food and water away from a cat with Diarrhea for a little while.

I am worried that her milk glands are drying up because the kittens are meowing like crazy and going after her nipples and she lets them try for a few mins and kicks them off.

What should I do.. please help!

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should never take away water from a nursing mother. She will loose her milk production fast with dehydration setting in. Please call a vet and get professional advice. She could have a parasite or something else going on that is causing her diarrhea and she may need medication. If momma is drying up you will need to supplement the babies with a kitten milk replacer. They can become very sick very fast without nourishment. Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read that somewhere I was not sure about it, but I called the vet and asked a few people and she just ate too much kitten food which upset her tummy. (she was scarfing food and overeating which i guess can cause diarrhea. She is doing better I hid the kitten food and since the kittens are almost done nursing I'm only letting her eat her normal food and drink water, nothing special until her tummy is better. Thanks!