momma cat panting

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat had a litter of 5 last night ( I posted the "announcement" in the cat lounge ). She is nursing very well and being very attentive, but she is still panting and breathing heavily. Is this normal? I don't remember my last cat to have done this once the birth was over. One more question, she is not leaving the basket at all. Only to go and eat this morning and one other time to stretch. Is it ok for her to just stay in there the whole time, or should she get up and give the kittens a break???? Thanks!

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dtolle - I'm not sure about the panting, but I know it's normal for the mamma cat to not leave the kittens except to eat and use the bathroom. She needs to be in there to keep them warm and fed, and she wants to make sure they're safe. I bet she'll stay close by for the first week or so. Sounds like a beautiful bunch!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, she could still have one in there. Some cats can deliver 24 to 48 hours after being done. Also, did you count the placenta's? If they werent all counted she could be trying to deliver one. If she continues through the day, you may want to call a vet. Otherwise, it is normal for them to stay with the babies. Moms who dont you have to keep an eye on. The babies need to stay warm and be nursed every few hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sandie, I think she may be panting because she is hot. Its very warm here, and she is in the basket w/ all of them nursing and climbing all over her. I believe everything was delivered, I watched her eat it all up. And I don't think there are any more kittens coming, she seems to be empty from what I can feel. I think if she is still panting tomorrow then I'll give the vet a ring. By the way, when should they all go in for their first checkups?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, keep an eye on her. Cats do not usually pant when they are hot. Panting can indicate stress, I found that one out the hard way! The kittens unless they appear to be sick or distressed should see a vet between 6 and 8 weeks. They should get the feline distemper vaccine and get a dewormer. Any signs of runny stool and vomit are a emergency trip to the vet as young kittens can dehydrate in a matter of hours. Of course these symptoms wont show up until they are on semi solid food. If a kitten is crying on a very regular basis it is a red flag. A kitten who is being pushed away or out of the group may be in trouble. Just keep your eyes open to these kinds of things while they are so very little. I am always on my toes until they are at least 3 to 4 weeks old.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just talked to the vet by phone. He said that its possible she may have one more to deliver ( but he said probably unlikely ), and that I should just let nature take its course as long as she is eating and drinking. I'm not sure if I am comfortable with his decision. Part of me thinks he is right and she is probably just worn out. But part of me can't understand why she is still having such a hard time catching her breath since the last kitten was born over 15 hours ago. He said I should save my $150 and wait until Mon or tues before I panic. Any opinions on this?????

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she is not in any distress, I would give her 48 hours from the last delivery. Like I said, some moms can wait this long, she is probably pretty tired from the deliveries. If she starts any more contractions and does not produce anything within an hour or so I would get her to the vet. I would also call and find an emergency clinic just incase you need one.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet is open 24/7/365. They are really great there, and came with very high recommendations. So, I trust them.
But, I still find it so odd that she is breathing so rapidly with her mouth open. She seems to be very short of breath, although she isn't showing any signs of pain. She isn't meowing, she is still caring for the kittens, and she is eating and drinking. I'm just hoping for the best. She has not used the litter box at all since the delivery, but I am not sure if that is unusual or not. She normally only goes in it about 2 times per day that I notice, so maybe she did use it during the night. I guess maybe I am just a bit paranoid after hearing some horror stories!! I really don't think its possible that her little body could have any more kittens in there!! She is a very tiny cat, and I still can't believe 5 came out!!!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sure you can imagine how tired and stressed she is. She is probably not very old and just finished raising another litter. She is probably stressed and very tired. I would definatly make sure and give her LOTS of wet food right now. Her body is probably working double time producing enough milk for 5 wee ones. These are the types of things you see in farm cats alot. Moms get pregnant far too often and end up not being able to take care of the babies due to health or stress. I would for now just sit with her and pet her. Give her your love and support. If you have to, bring the food and water to where she is.

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After Muffy had her babies, I moved her food and water into the closet with her and actually fed her by hand for the first few days. I put down wet food, which she'd eat, and I'd feed her kibble by kibble by hand. I think she appreciated it, and she does prefer the kibble so I know she wanted it.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This thread came at just the right time.

My new foster cat was brought over yesterday at 3pm. She had 3 kittens that were born 2 hours before. Another one came at 4pm. Since then, no more, but she still looks like she's got a bulge or 2 left. She's eating, drinking, and moving around. Hasn't used the litterbox though. She's very affectionate and doesn't seem to be in pain.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After the mom is done having the kittens, will her uterus remain swollen, or will her abdomen have a caved-in look to it?

To me, it looks like there is still a kitten bulge. But I can't feel seperate body parts like legs as I did with the 4th before it came. The bulge is round and smooth instead.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well with Sunshine, her stomach is very much flat already. Its been almost 72 hours since the delivery now, and there is no bulge at all now. Maybe you have one more coming??? :tounge2:
I was told by the vet to "let nature take its course" and that there are cats that wait up to 48 hours between the kittens......so I guess if your kitty still looks pregnant maybe she is!!! Good luck to you.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Daniela-

I felt her tummy some more and I'm pretty sure I felt a leg or two. She's completely laid back about the whole thing.
She doesn't seem to be in any rush at all. By fortunate coincidence, I'm taking another foster cat in for his neutering tomorrow morning. I'm going to take her in too and have the vet check her abdomen to see how many more there are for sure. She's eating and drinking like crazy and finally used her box, so I'm a little calmer now.

I may survive this after all. :disturbed

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope it all works out. I never thought having a cat would be so stressful. I was looking for a low maintenance pet for my kids and now I have SIX cats, and a whole lotta stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My goodness. But we are loving it, and the kittens are wonderful so I am not complaining!!! Hope your kitty is ok.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet said all is fine. Her tummy is shrinking down and the fuzzballs are doing great.

queenbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had to kittens and is still breathing fast well shes been breathing like that for anout a month is she ok? And since this is her first litter, how many should cats have the first time? Its been seven hours since the last kitten was born, and they where born about 25-30 minuets apart.