Momma Cat Lets Another Pregnant Cat Move Her Kittens

LIncognieto94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lets start with a little back story....
I live out on a farm and I have four cats that stay on the property and they always end up pregnant. We recently had two litters of kittens. The most recent litter was born three days ago. The mom ( her name is Black Mamba) of this litter has become very confident and is leaving her kittens unattended ( more often than not). There is another cat who has been with Black Mamba and the kittens since they were born. This cat is named Nancy. Nancy is pregnant and will be giving birth to the last litter.

Now......
This morning when I was outside feeding the animals, I noticed a cat coming out of the box with kittens. At first I thought it was Black Mamba but then I realized it was Nancy. At this point, I ran over and moved the kitten back with Black Mamba. Then I looked outside later to see the same thing happening again. Except this time Nancy had moved almost the whole litter. Again, I went to put the kittens back in the box and Black Mamba was still in the box with her other kittens.

So with that being said, Black Mamba let Nancy move her kittens multiple times and didn't do anything about it.

My questions are...
Is this something that is normal?
Does this happen often with outdoor cats?
Is this happening because Nancy thinks they are her kittens?
Is this happening because they are all in a pack and they are helping each other out? Kinda like lions in a pack?

I am not too sure but just wanted to share my crazy experience and see if anyone had anything similar happen to them.

By the way, I separated Nancy from the rest of the group. It was a nasty, rainy, cold day today and I was really worried that the kittens would die if she kept moving them. She is in our basement until she has her kittens and of course once they stop nursing.

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had the daddy with the kittens more than mummy. All she did was feed, then leave him to it.
:silver:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is fairly common for females cats to band together in kitten raising, provided they feel there is enough food to go around. It's more commonly seen in sister or mother-daughter pairings but anytime two females feel close enough and the situation is right it can happen. You may have the two working together to raise both their litters, taking day and night shifts of sorts. You may have one take over all care except nursing. My girls Mom vanished when she was a few weeks old and another mom in the colony took over her litter before she too disappeared when the kittens were about 6 weeks old. It really depends.

Since Nancy is going to be having her own kittens soon, it is probably better to keep her separate. Otherwise there is the risk of the older kittens overwhelming her younger kittens or someone getting hurt.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have plans to spay the mama cats?

What do you do with all the kittens?