Momma cat keeps moving 5 day old kittens to litter tray

Kp0776

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, new here so hello everyone!

i am a cat owner and reasonably experienced fosterer but this is my first time mum cat
I have a foster cat currently who had 3 kittens 6 days ago, they’re all doing very well gaining loads of weight and she is very happy and doesn’t seem particularly stressed.
She is in a cupboard under my stairs (it’s dark, enclosed etc) with a kittening box that I changed the dirty bedding in a few days after birth

sometimes I would find the kittens had a bit of litter on them but didn’t think too much of it, until I found them all this morning in the litter tray (clean luckily) with mum laying next to them.
I moved them back into the nesting box and she moved one back to the litter tray and lay down with it (not feeding it at that time)
I moved it back again and she settled in the nesting box again
I then saw she had urinated on the separate bed that I set up for her (in case she wanted a break from kittens or got too hot) instead of the litter tray.

she Clearly knows it’s not good to have kittens in a dirty litter tray but any ideas why she might be doing this?
Although I’ve only had her about 3 weeks total, she’s very relaxed with me around the kittens- she loves fuss and hasn’t hissed at all but I’ve mostly been leaving the kittens except to weigh them. She’s also been relaxed about my dog sniffing at the door a bit and went for an explore around the house today not caring that the dog was lying by the open door

The litter tray is also closer to the open (only when I’m around, but covered to prevent my cats and dog getting in there) door so it’s not as if she’s looking for somewhere even more private?

Shes Been very attentive and good even though she’s only very young, and didn’t eat properly or use the litter tray hardly at all in the first few days as she didn’t want to leave them (she would eat ravenously when I put the bowl in the box) but this has improved a lot and obviously today she also went exploring around the house like she used to before she had the babirs

sorry this is quite long! Thanks in advance for any insight :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom cats have a reflexive instinct to move their kittens frequently in the days after birthing them. It’s a built-in instinct to guard against predators seeking her babies. Even though she is non-plussed by your dog, she smells him and does not want him getting near her kittens (even if he would do no harm). So by moving them, she is keeping them safe in her mind.

Go ahead and plan for where you’ll put the family when the kittens are about 3 weeks old because that’s when they will begin to toddle out of the nest and no longer need it. Have you a spare room? They’ll need to explore and begin to play as they grow, and they will need to start the messy business of learning to eat and use the litter between 5-7 weeks. They will definitely need more space than the cupboard under the stairs.

Thank you for fostering! ❤

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think to move the litter box yes :) your instincts are right on that.

What type of litter are you using?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kp0776

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom cats have a reflexive instinct to move their kittens frequently in the days after birthing them. It’s a built-in instinct to guard against predators seeking her babies. Even though she is non-plussed by your dog, she smells him and does not want him getting near her kittens (even if he would do no harm). So by moving them, she is keeping them safe in her mind.

Go ahead and plan for where you’ll put the family when the kittens are about 3 weeks old because that’s when they will begin to toddle out of the nest and no longer need it. Have you a spare room? They’ll need to explore and begin to play as they grow, and they will need to start the messy business of learning to eat and use the litter between 5-7 weeks. They will definitely need more space than the cupboard under the stairs.

Thank you for fostering! ❤
Thank you :)
Okay that’s alright then, it’s just a pain because she’s used the litter tray very well since I got her and now she’s weeing on a separate bed and it’s soaking through to the carpet underneath haha

I have now changed it so I put a bigger box with blankets in in the place that the litter tray is in because not only is it a litter tray but far too small for her and her babies to lay in and the babies aren’t able to feed properly! But I’ve put the litter tray back and will see if she moves them there again or not!

yes no problem thats what I said to the rescue, it was just a desperate need, they’re having them back at about 3 1/2 weeks and keeping a pen free for them :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it is kitten safe one, wooden non clumping little bits
I am wondering if a bit of non-clumping corn or wheat litter on top would help..some cats don't adjust well to pellets without a "cushion" litter.

She's likely sore after birth and might be less tolerant to the pellets on her feet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kp0776

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if a bit of non-clumping corn or wheat litter on top would help..some cats don't adjust well to pellets without a "cushion" litter.

She's likely sore after birth and might be less tolerant to the pellets on her feet.
Not sure- I used to have pellets and then they didn’t have any last time I went to get some for my cats and so I got this one which is not pellets it’s like tiny little chippings so it’s less uncomfortable for feet (I actually think I’ll keep at this now as I have an old arthritic boy who sometimes rolls around on the pellets)
But also she’s used it fine since she’s come with me until last night

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure- I used to have pellets and then they didn’t have any last time I went to get some for my cats and so I got this one which is not pellets it’s like tiny little chippings so it’s less uncomfortable for feet (I actually think I’ll keep at this now as I have an old arthritic boy who sometimes rolls around on the pellets)
But also she’s used it fine since she’s come with me until last night
That can happen over time too. Get something fine and put it overtop. She's likely used to going in sand/dirt.