Momma cat just had kittens 4 days ago

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My momma cat just had her kittens 4 days ago she was eating and drinking fine and nursing the kittens fine until tonight when my husband came home from work and said that momma cat was upstairs growling at the kittens. I went up and removed the kittens using gloves and my husband looked at momma cats teates and he said that the ones on her left side up under her left front leg was red and swollen so I read on line to put a warm wash cloth on it so I did that and now she won't eat or drink she won't go in the basket with her babies to nurse them unless there is only one or two at a time out of 5 kittens I need help I don't know what to do I can't take her to the vet till Wednesday when my husband and I both get paid. Can someone please give me advice on what I can do to help her before I loose her ? Her daughter also had kittens 3 days after her and she is doing amazing with her kittens for being a first time mom.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If her daughter is in the house, see if she will help with Mama's kittens. Cats have a VERY strong maternal instinct, and she may. If not, you'll need to manage KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) and begin bottle feeding every two hours until you can get mama sorted. Hopefully, she will feel well enough to at least groom these little guys. But do give Sis a chance to step in! She may just save the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband tried and all she did was hiss at them but I will definitely be going tomorrow to the pet store for a bottle and a thing of mkr for the kittens. I just hope momma makes it through the night.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The KMR is for the kittens! Oh well, it's good for her too and if it works, keep doing it.

Bag Balm might prove useful on her irritated teats. It's good for man or beast, and you can get some at Tractor Supply stores, or another place like that.

Did putting the kits with her daughter help any? It was a good idea.

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No all the daughter did was hiss at them. She wouldn't even nurse them since she has her own kittens

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No all the daughter did was hiss at them. She wouldn't even nurse them since she has her own kittens
Well, they have to have the "family smell." If they weren't with her prior, it's only natural she'd not want to stay with them.

She still might take care of them if they start to smell like hers. Don't write it off entirely.

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I'm not the kmr seems to be helping momma cat I have been giving it to her everytime she nurses the kittens and it helps ease her so she can nurse them

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm not the kmr seems to be helping momma cat I have been giving it to her everytime she nurses the kittens and it helps ease her so she can nurse them
=
I was just joking (shoulda put in a smiley). It really is good for a pregnant cat, because all those kittens take some of her calcium to make bones for the kittens. Calcium is needed for muscular action (i. e., contractions) and she needs a good supply just at the time when demands are being made on her supply of it. Definitely keep giving her some KMR.

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I plan on it she also sounds like she has an uri but not for sure plan on taking her to the vet in the morning.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mistakenly made a comment that sounded like she was still pregnant. The KMR is still good for her after birthing, because the little ones still need calcium to build their own bones now that they're "outside," and mom provides that calcium through her milk.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, worth trying to see if older sis would nurse them. Some will, some will not. However, I'm thrilled that the KMR did the trick, no matter who drank it! I NEVER argue with success! Oh, and it will help support both of your new mamas to give them kitten food. It is high in protein, and high in calories, and they both need the extra right now.

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have both of them on Iams kitten food and they seem to be doing well this morning I woke up and momma cat was in the nest with her daughter and her kittens. It was so cute 😍

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello R rebelsmomma18 ... We tend to not mention spaying in the pregnant cats forum as there's an emphasis on the well-being of the mother and kitten for the pregnancy . But both 'momma cat' and her daughter are having kittens and I was hoping that, for their wellbeing and to prevent even more kittens needing homes, you could have them spayed after this pregnancy. :)
Meanwhile.. back at the kittens...

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update momma tiger as I named her is finally eating and drinking again and nursing her kittens beautifully on a sad note the daughter who I named Moana after the new Disney movie Moana lost one of her kittens yesterday but on a good note momma tiger offered Moana one of her kittens to take care of to help Moana with the loss of one of her own kittens. The one we lost was named smokey it was all gray I am still upset over it but I know it's In a better place and not suffering anymore. I just wish I could have saved it but it wasn't meant to be I tried everything I could to save smokey but God said it was his or her time to go. I am grateful that momma Tigger and her kittens are doing well and also Moana and her kittens too. The KMR really helped momma tiger bounce back.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww unfortunately young kittens are very fragile and it's common for one or more to die from a litter. Have you neutered dad yet? If not do so ASAP as he can still impregnate a cat for two weeks after the neuter. And he will try to force your girls to go into heat. Call around vet clinics for prices and get him fixed asap and your girls booked. Some rescues offer rescue rates or have lower cost snr programs. SPCAs as well :)

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right both my momma cat and daughter have been sharing the role of taking care of the 8 kittens remaining

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't unusual for even unrelated mamas to care for their kittens together. I'm glad this has worked out so well for your little family.

Remember, when you neuter Daddy, he'll still be able to father kittens for as much as 4-8 weeks after the surgery!

rebelsmomma18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on momma tiger we are at the emergency vet right now with her she has an abscessed mammary gland that burst open. The vet had to end up putting her under just to clean and stitch the wound shut she has been in there almost an hour and they said it could be between 1 hour to an 1 1/2 hours before we would get her back I miss my baby girl and it stinks that I can’t be inside with her but I know she is in good hands and big sister has stepped up to help take care of all 5 of mommas kittens plus her 3 kittens i am just glad I caught it before it got worse will update once we are home she has to wear a cone and be on antibiotics my poor baby girl