Momma Cat Gaining Weight After Spaying, Still Nursing

nevarDeath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, this is a difficult topic to google, as every result I've found so far relates to Queens that are pregnant. If there is already an answer somewhere, I apologize.

The situation is that our Mother Munchkin kitty, Molly, has gained enough weight after being spayed that I'm wondering if she's pregnant again. The catch is that she is still nursing two of her babies. They are now 5 months, 4 days old. The babies seemed to be weaned in early February. We got Molly fixed right after that. The other 3 kittens are no longer living with us.

The kittens immediately tried to nurse on her again and we went to great lengths to ensure they didn't. I think they felt comfortable trying to nurse because she was not in heat and aggressive towards them so often. After she was healed, I really didn't see a problem with it. I thought it would be good for the kittens, as I can't think of a better source of nutrients for them. They still eat regular food also, but feed from her multiple times throughout the day.

Molly is an indoor/outdoor cat and goes outside daily. Based on how she acts, I believe she has had some trauma before we got her at two years old in 2016, so when she's outside she is very alert and hunkers down a lot. It's rare to see her run and climb like our other cats or even her babies. I can't say I've ever seen her climb a tree. One of our other cats had to teach the babies, but they are both able to, short legs and all. I've seen her run and literally ricochet off a wall onto our bed inside the house, so it's not a question of ability. I think her trauma just causes her to go slowly and carefully outside. I have heavily researched cat trauma and our whole family has talked about it and we do things to help her feel safe in the house. Her behavior has improved immensely since we started doing this over a year ago.

Weight gain can be dangerous for a Munchkin, due to the belly hitting the ground and/or extra weight straining her frame. I'm a bit worried at this point. Her belly has gotten to where it's round and out, like when they get pregnant. It's not hanging down a lot yet, but I want to do something before it gets worse.

She does not howl or obviously go into heat anymore. She is also less aggressive towards everyone after being spayed. She does lay on the ground and roll/stretch in a specific way that she used to only do while in heat. Sometimes those maneuvers make me wonder if she's in some kind of lesser form of heat. We have a number of male strays that come around from a trailer park behind our house. We are taking the two worst offenders to the shelter this week, so their owners can be found or re-homed. I am hoping that could help with her anxiety outside.

The situation brings up a few questions I'm hoping members can opine on.

1) Should we continue to let the kittens nurse? Could that be causing her weight gain? She only produces milk from two nipples.
2) Any ideas for how to encourage her to run around or play more outside? I think she needs to feel safer, but I'm not sure how much I can really influence that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying can cause weight gain. Being in heat and raising kittens takes a lot of calories. So now that she's spayed it's OK to cut back on her food. Try to give her mostly canned food, as the higher protein and moisture are good for weight loss. Most altered adult cats need about 20 calories per pound per day. She might need slightly more than that since she goes outside, but if she isn't very active out there maybe not.

The nursing isn't causing weight gain. And the kittens don't need the milk; at this age they're just nursing for comfort. She'll make them stop when she's ready, there's no reason to get involved.