Momcat got all kittens sick

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you've read my previous thread, you might know the situation, but basically, I took in a stray pregnant momcat and her 6 kittens. My previous thread was about her soft stool, which she still has. I had to put that on back burner because she got really sick with upper respiratory infection, took her to vet, he said most likely herpes virus, gave her antibiotics and eye drops. Its been 10 days and just as she is about to get better, all her kittens got sick. My question is - will her kittens re-infect her, will she get sick again? She is 95% better, occasionally hears a sniffle. I have already given her 10 days antibiotics, which is what vet said, should I continue? The antibiotics are also now making her stool from soft to watery, sigh.

On top of that, she got my own residential cat sick, which is weird, because he is vaccinated. I'm really tired of taking care of 9 sick cats. need some advice. I am about to call a shelter and give them up. My plan was to keep them until they were weaned and try to adopt them out, but this is really tiring. Also, kittens are 6 weeks, and only 3 out of 6 eating solid food (occasionally). How do I get them to eat solids? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

If you've read my previous thread, you might know the situation, but basically, I took in a stray pregnant momcat and her 6 kittens. My previous thread was about her soft stool, which she still has. I had to put that on back burner because she got really sick with upper respiratory infection, took her to vet, he said most likely herpes virus, gave her antibiotics and eye drops. Its been 10 days and just as she is about to get better, all her kittens got sick. My question is - will her kittens re-infect her, will she get sick again? She is 95% better, occasionally hears a sniffle. I have already given her 10 days antibiotics, which is what vet said, should I continue? The antibiotics are also now making her stool from soft to watery, sigh.

On top of that, she got my own residential cat sick, which is weird, because he is vaccinated. I'm really tired of taking care of 9 sick cats. need some advice. I am about to call a shelter and give them up. My plan was to keep them until they were weaned and try to adopt them out, but this is really tiring. Also, kittens are 6 weeks, and only 3 out of 6 eating solid food (occasionally). How do I get them to eat solids? 

Re the herpes infection, L-lysine, an aminoacid which is used as a prescriptionsfree health supplement, may help here.

Its one of the few things which do somewhat helps against some virus infections.   This you can give to all your cats, both fosterling and your residents.

As the kittens arent that small, you can give them some too.

As you know, antibiotica usually dont help much against self virus (there are some few exceptions).  What antibiotica helps, is to stop bacterial infections which very easily follow up a virus infection).  But L-lysine seems to be one of the few things which actually helps against some types of virus, among it, the herpes.

Do you use a probiotic?   Helps much to stabilize the tummy,  when having antibiotica...

I suppose you had already got the advice of plain crushed conserved pumpkin, for her usually soft poo.

Re the kittens, had you tried to entice them with minced meat?   cow, not pig meat.  Gerbers unflavored baby food, turkey or chicken?

Goat milk is always useable.  Raw goat milk may even help here, fresh best but frozen is good too.

Also, do you have the possibility to phone and ask the vet whom you had?   With a little luck he wont charge again, as its the same patient and the same contagion.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know sometimes it gets so overwhelming you feel like giving up, but please!, look at those sweet faces and know it is worth it in the long run. I've raised cats for over 50 years and I had a litter of seven that came down with that virus, plus the mama, so I know what you are going through., plus LOTS of others. The virus is nasty, but usually not life threatening at all, it just makes everyone's life miserable for a while. That L-lysine is a lifesaver, it builds up the immunity and is what is prescribed by vets for this virus. I get mine as treats on Amazon and always keep a supply around., because my inside cats come down with it once in a while too.

In fact, the kittens may not be eating much because they feel miserable. Just tempt them with watered down canned food, or even try dry kitten food, they may like chewing on it.meat baby food, like Gerber's is wonderful too, like what was mentioned above. Mama will eventually wean them, but she may not have the energy right now.

I agree with StefanZ, vaccinations and antibiotics don't usually help with this, it is a 'kitty cold' and is a virus, not bacterial, and is like our own common  cold which is not preventable, and really not treatable, you just try to help make the symptoms a little easier to bear.  You will surely be blessed for helping this little family, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, and pray it gets easier for you. Please don't be afraid to ask for help on this site, we are here to help, and listen if you need to vent. Believe me, we've all been there, with all the experiences and cat people on this site it's a refuge in your time of need. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

You got an excellent answer form Di and Bob!

Vibes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am now giving everyone L-lysine 250 mg twice a day. Hope it helps.

Yes, I give momcat a pre- and pro-biotic I got from petsmart, it seems to help some - making the watery stool go back to its usual soft state. (I'll take what I can get.) Vet said to do nothing - changing her diet will just make soft stool worse and theres too many variables, hard to figure out what caused problem. Its just bothersome because I have to scoop her poop immediately otherwise the kittens will step all over it and walk the poop all over the house. Which is the other tiresome thing. No one knows how to properly bury their poop, so they step on it and walk all over house. I spend all day giving everyone a bath and cleaning my floors. Sorry, this is mt first time fostering kittens, I had no idea how much trouble they were. Spent all night chasing them and pulling them out of nooks and crannies they crawl into.

I have tried giving kittens boiled chicken, kitten milk formula, dry kibble, and canned food. If you feed them milk or canned food from a dropper, they love it, but put it in a bowl for them to lap up, the walk away like they are revulsed. And I keep catching mom nursing them. I read you should separate mom and kittens, but I have no more room. Mom and kittens occupy living room, dining room, kitchen. My two male resident cats have the bedroom and bathroom. If I give them time, will they wean on their own? I read about these horrible stories about kittens nursing still at 6 months.

I have gone back to vet 2 more times. He gave them saline nose drops for their stuffy noses and artificial tears for their crusty eyes. I have been dealing with this for 12 days. I just don't want the kittens to get better and then mom get sick again and cycle repeats. All 9 cats have had varying cycles of sickness, all infecting each other (even though I have 2 male adolescent cats separated)

exasperated 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're all sick nursing from mom shouldn't be a problem.  Some kittens wean a little later.  Don't stress over it.  when mom gets tired of nursing she will stop.

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray cat, and she had 6 kittens. They are now 6 1/2 weeks. Two kittens will only eat canned food, no kibble. One kitten will only eat boiled chicken, no kibble. One kitten will eat kibble. The other 2 still won't eat any solid foods. I am really wanting to adopt them out. Can the 3 that are eating solid food (but not kibble) be adopted out? And how do I get the other 2 to eat solids?  I am now not giving them any canned food or boiled chicken, and trying to get them to eat the kibble only. I am just thinking that it is easier to adopt them out if they are eating kibble. I don't think I can tell the adopting families to feed them canned food or boiled chicken.

I am thinking about adopting 2 out - that are eating canned food and boiled chicken (not kibble) now and the others later...is that a good idea or wait to adopt them out altogether? I met a lady at Petsmart, and she said she was adopting a kitten from someone else that is 4 weeks, and it is already eating kibble. Mine are 6 1/2 and still not eating. They are big - over 2 lbs already. Can I adopt them out?

One reason I am also wanting to adopt them out is because I don't want them to get sick again. They went through a phase at around 4 weeks where everyone got sick. They finally got over it, but I am afraid with them being all together, they are gonna get each other sick again. I hear and occasional sneeze from one or two, and I really don't want them to get everyone sick again. 

Ultimately, the question is - do you think I can adopt these out? 6 1/2 weeks, 2 lbs, some eating solids. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I receommend that you continue feeding both dry kitten chow and canned wet food to all 6 kittens. Kittens need wet food to grow on as well as kitten chow. They will all begin to eat soon. Most kittems wean around 5-6 weeks, but some take longer, and they continue to nurse mom as well for a few more weeks. Yours are doing well, but are not fully weaned yet.

It's not weight that determines readiness to be re-homed. It's development. We do not recommend re-homing kittens until they are 8 weeks old, and preferably 10-12 weeks, as they need the time with mom to learn kitten manners. Kittens separated too young are oftentimes not emotionally ready. Since they have a mom, I recommend you keep them at least two more weeks.

Are they litter box trained?

Will you be getting mom spayed soon? Are you keeping her?

It sounds as though you've done a wonderful job caring for this stray mom and her babies!

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are litter box trained.  Well - they know to poop in the box, they know to bury it, but sometimes they step in their poop, then walk it all over my house, ugh. I am constantly walking around house looking for poopy paw prints and cleaning it off the floor.  Good thing its on hard floor and not carpet.

Yes, I am going to get mom spayed as soon as she is done nursing.  She already has an appointment 10/31/15.  I am not wanting to keep her.  As soon as she is done nursing, her kittens are adopted, she gets spayed, done healing from surgery, I will adopt her out.

Kittens are now 7 1/2 weeks - still no change.  

- two are eating wet and dry and ready to be adopted

- one is ONLY eating wet

- one is ONLY eating dry

- two still won't eat any solids - I am concerned about these two.  I have begun separating them from mom... as much as I can, I don't have any more rooms - so I just keep her out on the balcony, only a couple of hours at a time.  She actually prefers being outside (she was a stray).

How long can I separate mom and kittens at a time???  I only separate them for 1-2 hours, but then as soon as they re-unite, she nurses them.

Can I adopt them out if they are ONLY eating wet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can re-home them only eating wet or dry. Most cats expand their range of foods that they will eat as they mature. You just need to tell the new owners what they eat.

Most kittens will wean to solids by 8 weeks or so. They grow to need more food than just mom's milk. The 2 milk babies should at least be eating mush by now or will start soon.

The ideal age to separate mom and babies for good is around 12 weeks, so you are getting there, unless someone wants to adopt mom and her 2 babies together.