Mom Potentially Rejecting Kitten?

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got this foster mom a few days ago. By my guess she's probably around 2 or 3 years old. She was an owner surrender. She originally had 3 kittens but 2 died, maybe right after birth? I don't know for sure. She now just has the one. He's around 1.5 weeks old, no umbilical cord but his eyes are only just barely starting to open. He's been gaining weight just fine, around 10g a day. However she's starting to act odd. Today she got really riled up and was playing with him like he was a toy, kicking and biting. He didn't squeel during this. Now she won't nurse him, at least when I'm there. If I put him with her she starts the odd behavior again. She's also obsessively licking. Me, herself, her vagina, him. It's like she's suddenly uninterested in being a mom as of a few hours ago. He is walking around the nest crying and she doesn't bat an eye.

I left the room and am leaving them be for tonight, maybe I'm making it worse. I'll check his weight in the morning. If he lost ill start feeding him. It just seems strange that she'd reject him at this point when she's been a good mom up til now. Maybe she's just in a mood right now and will snap out of it.

Ive never had a mom and single baby before, all my other fosters have been moms with a bunch of babies. Who, at this point in their babies lives, really just took care of them. This momma is all over the place, playing and not cuddling with the baby. I've left him a warm rice sock to cuddle.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should check on him during the night tonight.

It also sounds like mom is getting bored now that her body is recovering from pregnancy and delivery. She probably needs an hour or two out of the room with him once or twice a day for a change of scenery and a break and other stimulus.

You may end up needing to hand feed him. I just hope she doesn’t harm him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does seem bored. Unfortunately I have my own pets and can't pet her roam outside the foster room. Even if I did, I get the feeling she'd take a liking to the freedom and not want to be shut in the room again.

I'll check on him in a few hours. I was contemplating whether I should feed him or not. I don't know if he'll even latch onto a miracle nipple and I don't want to give him diarrhea from formula. But if I have to I will.

Could she be in heat again? The licking, especially of her vagina, makes me think she may be.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such good news! Mom must have been having a restless spell. :)