Mom Having Enough Milk

Allyson Watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had kittens and her nipples do not appear to have milk in them. Should they be large? She just gave birth ( 4 kittens, 30 minutes ago) and I want to make sure everything is OK and if/ when I should step in and help her. I have zero clue.....
Thanks,
Allyson

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most moms have working mammary glands when they deliver kittens. When the kittens suckle initially, they get colostrum. Within about 24 hours, milk comes in. Within a day or two, as the kittens nurse, the mammaries fill more and more.

Do the kittens appear to be latched and nursing? If so, this is a good sign that all is well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyson Watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are attaching and 'trying'. She just had two more! I checked and her nipples sport to be larger! Thank you for your advice. Think I jumped the gun a bit and was overly worried.
Allyson

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! It's okay that you asked. Milk is important.

With 6 kitttens watch out for a runt or two. Weighing the kittens is the best way to know if they are each gaining 6-10 grams per day.

If a baby does not appear to be nursing and thriving, please do supplement.

Do you think mom is done delivering now?

Allyson Watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope she is finished but I am sitting with her so we will see! If any of the kittens are not gaining enough should I supplement with kitten milk? And how much? Thank you so much!
Allyson

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get a birth weight, and keep track daily. You would supplement with a syringe about 1-2 mL's every 1-2 hours intitially.

Kittens are fed tummy down, head up, as they would feed from mom. Never on the back. Drops in the side of the mouth, allowing kitten to swallow and breathe in between.

Hopefully this is not necessary right away, unless you see a kitten not latching and apoearing very lethargic.

Also, keep any kitten you feed warm while away from the nest. They cannot regulate their own body temperature for 3 weeks.

Allyson Watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Finn gave birth last night to 5 babies. Everything went great and she has been resting with them and nursing. I had her confined to a closet in my laundry room (which is not one of her normal hang out spots). A few minutes ago she wondered to the front of the house and went to her one of her favorite napping spots and decided to take a nap there. It has been about twenty minutes. Should I wake her up and take her back to her babies or let her do her thing? Is it normal that she took more than just a couple minutes for herself?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perfectly normal to take a break up to an hour or so while her kittens sleep. As long as she returns to the kittens when they cry, it's fine.