Mom cat possibly not stimulating kitten

Rox08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I can’t tell if the mom cat is stimulating/cleaning her kitten. She only has one kitten about a week old. I only check on them about 5 times a day and let them have their peace and quiet majority of the time. She is very friendly and affectionate towards me (letting me pet her and the kitten). Mom cat is sick with either cat flu/URI (doctor didn’t clarify) so that may factor in on not stimulating the kitten. But she is now on antibiotics. I’ve tried stimulating the kitten in every possible way but no poo comes out, only pee. The kitten’s belly is round but I’m not sure if that’s because he’s well fed or something else. Should I be worried? Is the mom cat stimulating when I’m not around?
B420BC27-0769-4DA6-B822-5664BCEF2225.jpeg

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a call to the vet is a be a good idea. Mom might be "cleaning up" after the kitten when you are not around. Since you are not sure, they would be able to tell you if you neeed to bring the kitten in for so help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten sounds fine to me. A round belly means he’s nursing well. Mom is cleaning him up since you don’t see anything, even though she is a bit under the weather. With antibiotics, she should feel much better after the third day on them, but finish the prescription. Also, kittens on mom’s milk are rarely constipated. You likely have nothing to worry about as long as the kitten is gaining weight and mom improves.

Do you plan to spay mom after the kitten weans? R Rox08

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rox08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I am going to spay mom after. She was a stray cat living in my backyard and came to me when the kitten was 3-4 days old. She is on day two of antibiotics and seems to be getting a bit better. I guess she has been stimulating the kitten since he was fine before I found them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking her and her kitten inside! I’m sure mama cat is grateful too! Give it a couple more days, but moms usually clean their kittens’ poop until they start solids. That’s generally anywhere from 6-8 weeks. You’ve a ways to go yet. Some kittens do begin to eliminate on their own prior to this, in which case you’ll see stains on the bedding. No worries though - this is normal also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rox08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been 3 days since I’ve seen the kitten poop, which is why I’ve been sort of worried. Maybe I’ll call the vet soon. Thank you, I really appreciate all the advice! :happycat:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s been 3 days since I’ve seen the kitten poop, which is why I’ve been sort of worried. Maybe I’ll call the vet soon. Thank you, I really appreciate all the advice! :happycat:
Its usually just rescuers and caretakers of orphan kittens, whom see (and discuss!) poo.

Most breeders dont never see any kitten poo; because momma (or a good foster) is usually taking care of this detail. :)