Mom Cat Panting Three Days After Giving Birth?

LittleMe0w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

On Saturday, the neighborhood stray (one of the ones that hadn't been spayed yet) decided to have her kittens in my yard. When I got to her the birth was already over and I was able to bring her inside. I've kept her comfortable and things have been going really well. She's been very sweet and affectionate, eating/drinking/using the litterbox well. The kittens are going good too.

But about an hour ago she started panting, so much that she's making the blanket wet under her mouth. Her ears and paws feel warm. It's currently average temperature here, not hot not cold. I'm worried. I plan to take her to the vet in the morning but what can I do for her right now? She has access to water and everything else she would need. (She is eating food right now! So that is sort of a good sign, right?)

What would cause the panting and warm ears three days after giving birth?

What can I do to make her comfortable without harming the kittens?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully its afterpains but sounds as fever too.
So yes its asap vet erand - it may be an infection.
Be sure she is comforable.

And if she is sick you need to take care of kittens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 usually recommends giving mom a dish of kmr a day. It can help with calcium deficiency. Let us know what the vet says.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! How is she doing now?

If this is still occurring, she needs to see the vet right away. She may have an internal infection.

Otherwise, it may be her hormones, or afterpains, or calcium deficiency.

Low calcium is very serious. Give her cheese or skim milk right away. Kitten formula is best though.

Thanks for taking her in!

L LittleMe0w