Mom Cat and Kittens - Need Help!!

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed, good luck with this, Halloween and trick or treaters adds extra disturbance to the mix.  But I'm thinking, your Mama may not be truly feral but an abandoned house cat, which puts you miles ahead. It's very doubtful she will "attack you", she'll just be scared and defend herself, which is not the same thing at all. Actually I don't think even true ferals actually "attack" humans unless they are directly threatened, and even then it is in order to escape.   If you can't catch her, what is the landlord going to do?  Unlikely he will catch her either, maybe not even see her if she hides?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news - I was able to get the kittens in the house tonight!!!  They went into the carrier like they've done before and while they were eating I calmly shut the door before they realized what was happening.  They even kinda looked at me as if to say "Uh, what are you doing?"  Of course they did try to get the door open as my husband and I were carrying them into the house, and I could tell they were scared, but they didn't make much noise or cry out to Mama.  She was peaking out from the overhang above the garage door but I don't think she realized what was happening either.  There was too much commotion going on outside with the trick-or-treaters, and I really wasn't sure how long it would be before she'd come down from hiding so I didn't set the trap and decided to leave Mama in the garage for the night.  Although it's starting to get cold outside, the garage was much warmer.  I'll set the trap for her during the day so I can get to her more quickly once she's in it.

Lrosewiles - the problem with the landlord is that he'll likely keep the garage door open while doing whatever he needs to do, allowing Mama to make an escape.  I don't want him to know anything about her or the kittens.  He treats us like a couple of children that need to be supervised.  When we first moved in almost 2 yrs ago, we would leave the garage door slightly open for a homeless cat I couldn't catch.  I left food and water in the garage and it provided him with shelter.  The landlord saw the garage door open (he drives by constantly) and insisted we keep it shut at all times.  He even stated that he didn't want us feeding the stray cats in the neighborhood - the food would attract rats and other critters.  I didn't always listen to him, though, and I'm pretty sure the cats kept the rats away :)  In any case, I hope you're right about Mama being an abandoned house cat that has lost some trust in humans.  I'd like to give her a chance, too.