Mom and 2 day old kittens Do's and Dont's on what to do next.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's important to keep your male away from your female unless supervised until he is fixed. Can you do this in the near future? He'll still be fertile for up to a month, and she can get pregnant again within a week of delivery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's important to keep your male away from your female unless supervised until he is fixed. Can you do this in the near future? He'll still be fertile for up to a month, and she can get pregnant again within a week of delivery.
I'm not sure how soon, but we will as soon as we can and we'll supervise Catsby anytime he's around Toys. Same for Toys, we'll get her spayed as soon as possible 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do. It's really dangerous for her to have multiple pregnancies in a row. And expensive for you!

Would you like help finding a low cost clinic?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs to stay in the bathroom until her kittens are 3 weeks old. After that, a bedroom is a good space for the kittens to safely explore without being in the whole house. Kittens can squeeze into tiny spaces and get hurt, or worse, and become hard to find or get to. So no living room anytime soon. She'll be fine with her babies in the bathroom until then. Just visit her frequently.

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She needs to stay in the bathroom until her kittens are 3 weeks old. After that, a bedroom is a good space for the kittens to safely explore without being in the whole house. Kittens can squeeze into tiny spaces and get hurt, or worse, and become hard to find or get to. So no living room anytime soon. She'll be fine with her babies in the bathroom until then. Just visit her frequently. 
Okay, no living room then. I need to go change their bedding to blankets instead of towels. But I will have to move the kittens to do that. She hasn't wanted me to mess with the kittens. I hope she doesn't get mad at me. 

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Okay, no living room then. I need to go change their bedding to blankets instead of towels. But I will have to move the kittens to do that. She hasn't wanted me to mess with the kittens. I hope she doesn't get mad at me. 
My sister held Toys while I moved the kittens and changed the bedding. It was fine. 

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do. It's really dangerous for her to have multiple pregnancies in a row. And expensive for you!

Would you like help finding a low cost clinic?
We found one, we just need to get an appointment. 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a lot of great advice here, this is terrific. I knew others would come through to help. Great stuff.

Toys seems like a really good cat. Awesome that your sister could hold her while you moved the kittens and changed the bedding. She trusts you, that is very special.

Keep up the great work. I think Toys knows you love her and her kittens. 

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an update.

Toys is still not too happy about being in the bathroom. The kittens are doing great though. I've been cleaning the litter box everyday and dumping the whole thing about every five days. The bathroom still smells so we have kept the window open ( its very warm here ) and today I opened the door and I found Toys at the door looking very nervous and she ran in. I had already got her wet food and everything ready and I was just going outside for a minute, so I got her wet food and ran to the bathroom to see if the kittens were okay. They were laying together but when they saw me they started meowing. 

There was a whole in the screen of the window. And the medicine cabinet was open ( the cabinet is empty ). It took her a while to nurse the kittens cause she wanted to eat her food, but after a while she did nurse them. Were still trying to figure out were to put the kittens next, as we still don't trust her not to pee or poop on something. A few days after she had been in the bathroom she got out and into the bedroom and I left her for two minuets to get wet food and she was pooping on the bed when i went back in. It's been a while though, so maybe she wouldn't do it now. 

Every time she gets out of the bathroom ( we don't leave her alone now ) all she does is look out the windows and meow. I also kept the window open but closed it enough so that she won't be able to get out. 

The kittens are walking. They run around the bathroom really fast and they love the living room when we bring them in there for a minuet. They have learned how to climb into the shower, which worries me a bit, because I don't want them to get in there and then get stuck. And I also don't want them to fall. They drink the water now, they do it by getting both of their front paws in the water bowl and drinking then shaking their paws off when they get out.

z

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that mom is in heat. She can go back outside once the kittens are weaned as long as she is spayed and vaccinated.

Can you move the kittens into a bigger pen in a room? Mom sounds like she needs more space too.

We'd love to see photos!

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we want to put her back outside because she seems to really want back out, we feel bad for her. We haven't been able to spay her yet, but were going to soon. We were thinking maybe getting a puppy pen and putting it in the living room, were Toys could go in and out, but the kittens couldn't ( its bigger than the bathroom ). I'll try and see if I can get pictures on here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that mom and kittens both need more space. The bathroom is feeling like solitary confinement to the mom cat. When do you plan to spay mom? Anytime now is good. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ToysandCatsby,

sarthur2 and talkingpeanut are exactly right. They need more space.

Can you put a littler box in your bedroom? Cats usually use a litter box if it is there and it is clean.

If they don't use a litter box it is usually territorial or medical. My guess is that toys used your bed because a litter box wasn't there or maybe she was marking it to say she owns it. Being locked up in a bathroom can lead to territorial insecurity.

You are doing great on the litter box. Try to scoop it out as often as possible as that will help on the smell and help the cats want to use it.

I have brought in ferals that are older who have never used a litter box in their life and once they are in they use the litter boxes without fail. Cats like to cover their scent so I would expect Toys to use the litter box if she was out. If she doesn't then like I said it could be territorial or medical.

Do you have any toys for Toys? Like the stick with the bird on the end? Can you play with her (away from the kittens)? Then after playing give food or treats. That could help her a lot and build her comfort and confidence.

If you do let Toys out PLEASE spay her before doing so. 

It is funny, I was just thinking about you and your cats and wondering how they were doing. It sounds like you are doing a GREAT JOB. Thank you for doing what you are doing, you are awesome!!

Let us know if you need any advice.

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe we could put her in a bedroom with a couple of litter boxes to make sure she would use it? Yeah, she doesn't seem very happy being in the bathroom. She really likes going under the bed in my room though, so I think she would be happier in a bedroom.

We don't have any toys for her right now, until we can buy her some, maybe I could try a shoe lace or something. I can take out into the bedroom to play with her. I can't let the kittens into the bedroom yet until I move stuff around, or else they could crawl under things.

We're not quite sure when she's going to get spayed, but don't worry, she's not having anymore kittens. And she's not going to be aloud to go outside unless she's spayed. 

Thanks for all the help!! If we put a shoe box lid with litter in it on the floor, will Toys teach the kittens to use it? Or will they use the one she's using? They're good little climbers, I know they can get into it, but I would rather them use something smaller. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can use disposable aluminum cake pans, or they can use mom's box. Walmart even has a small, kitten-sized plastic litter pan. Walmart also has packs of balls and toy mice that the kittens will enjoy. If you can straighten up your bedroom, it would be an ideal place for the kittens to be housed for a few more weeks, rather than a pen.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bedroom sounds like a good idea for Toys. 2 litter boxes would be very good for her. She should use the litter boxes, it would be unlikely if she wouldn't.

A shoelace could work until you get some toys for her. Just make sure that she doesn't eat any plastic or anything that is on the tip of the shoelace. After playing then give food or a treat.

I would prefer Toys to be up high in the world instead of under a bed. That way she can be a confident cat and own the territory. Just in case you decide to keep her in the house or someone wants to take her in. I love ferals and take care of ferals in colonies but I do think life inside in a loving home is better.

sarthur2 and talkingpeanut will be able to give advice on the kittens and the litter box.

Keep up the great work.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also crumple up a piece of paper for the cat to play with.  they bat them around.  And Toilet paper tubes can be made into toys.  Google homemade cat toys.

Be sure to use non clumping litter in the litter boxes.  The kittens taste everything and clumping litter can clump up inside their intestines and cause blockage.

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You can also crumple up a piece of paper for the cat to play with.  they bat them around.  And Toilet paper tubes can be made into toys.  Google homemade cat toys.

Be sure to use non clumping litter in the litter boxes.  The kittens taste everything and clumping litter can clump up inside their intestines and cause blockage.
Awesome! Thanks! I'm using an all natural non clumping clay litter. 

toysandcatsby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how old the kittens will be when I can use a clumping litter? I've also started feeding them wet food, which they love. I hope I didn't start feeding them to late. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can switch anytime you feel comfortable with the fact they will not eat the litter and have it clump up internally and cause a blockage. [emoji]128522[/emoji]