Molly In Pre Labor

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Mamma and Pregnant cat Molly here... Although I’ve experienced my fair share of human births,horses , sheep, cows and dogs I’ve never seen or assisted with a cat .

This is her first litter - and it will certainly be her last. The specifics of how and why she got pregnant is a long story (rescued as a spay) .We just want Molly to deliver safetly and do everything to ensure heathy happy mum and kittens (which will be spayed asap).
She has had 2 vet visits , health check and ultrasound - shows she is carrying 3 and is due around now !

So the latest : Last 7 hours Molly has been super affectionate - not leaving my side - constant meowing . The nesting has turned into digging up the two birthing boxes ... constant in out in out . No sleep or rest she lays down for 10 mins then up again and pacing ... moving here there and everywhere in the confinement of the bedroom where the birthing boxes are . Slight watery brown discharge very small amount ...

No milk ...which I’m very worried about ... is this normal in cats ? (I have bottles etc on standby)

Could this be pre-labor? Should I put the coffee pot on this evening ?!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes.
Prelabor may be quite long but full labor always shorter than humans. Active labor max 40 minutes - vet errand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes.
Prelabor may be quite long but full labor always shorter than humans. Active labor max 40 minutes - vet errand.
Thank you for replying so quickly, she is now in her birthing box- gone quiet and I can hear her licking herself . She must be exhausted already !

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Molly delivered two kittens this morning, then she continued pushing for 1 hour with no luck .... vet visit with oxytocin and calcium iv for 5 hours , still no luck with the pushing (big kitty) after several hours of everyone trying and kitty stuck in birth canal after second X-ray she is now in surgery for an emergency c-section.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good for you for taking her to the vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets hope for the best. Even if I fear for that unborn.

How are the delivered two doing?

Raw goats milk is good if they need a kmr. Or petags KMR in powder.

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The one that was causing all the issues was dead unfortunately...

Out of the two delivered one is weak the other two born this morning are fine ...

Just waiting to go in and see them ... Molly is fine and did well in surgery she’s just coming round

Decided to keep the uterus so as not to effect the milk ...

Thank you for the advice on the milk , vets are just waiting to see if molly can feed or if bottle maybe needed .

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can and do go back to nursing after a spay. I'm sure your vet was being cautious.

Please do keep us posted. Good for you for getting them to the vet.

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6 hours home and they are finally doing well , the very weak c-section one has just started feeding from Mum after 3 attempts of siringe- I honestly didn’t think he would make it ! He’s gone from not moving at all to climbing all over the show and feeding. Huge relief. It’s early days but a great improvement from the vet saying he wouldn’t make the car journey home .

Molly is an amazing Mum , she’s going to feel sore tomorrow ... the vet gave me 3 syringes of pain killer if needed ... I think the worry is it going through to the babies ? So only give if absolutely needed ?

I’ll try an upload some pics now .

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Picture with Mum is of the weak boy, (new name Lucky) she took him under her paw and has been doing a great job keeping him going. Pray it continues .

I’ll weigh them tomorrow and update with the weights - I have no idea what’s a Normal cat birth weight?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
About 90-100 may vary.

Getting ip the count is more important...

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The weights of the two natural born are 107 grams . Csection babes 104g and lucky at 103g as of this morning . All feeding well - will keep a track each morning and see :)

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks StefanZ for your help , will see tomorrow am :)

I’m interested to know what the coats will be ? Molly is long haired - father most definitely short haired ... I have a very simple understanding of the genetics . But am I right in thinking that unless dad carry’s the LH gene then all will be SH as the dominant gene ?

MollyKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All have gained 19-21grams .
Except the little guy who has put on 6.5grams :( is that not good ? Any advice on what we can do for him ? Supplement feeding ?
Thank you guys in advance

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
6,5 g in one day? Its not much, Im not jumping with joy, but its OK. Observe, during the time get home the gears (raw goats milk or KMR from PetAG in powder) and a little syringe, and learn the correct procedures.

But wait a day or two. As long he adds 6+ a day its not that alarming. But after two three days of barely 6+ its prob time for something extra yes.

What I mean. If he is say a bad suckler and dont gets enough from momma, yes supplementing is necessary.

But handfeeding as such has some additional risks. Being experienced and being very careful minimalizes the risks but they are still more than nil extra.

That is why its in some degree a balancing of pros and contras.

Its the other two whom get up above the average, that is why you see it as a such a big contrast.

You can also smear some sweet water with honey on his lips and gums. It gives both more energhy to suckle better, and even some extra calories into him.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give him a little extra nipple time while the others are sleeping before you jump to supplementing. He may just be being pushed around.