Modkat litter box

rainbow22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

Has anyone moved from an open litter tray to Midkat? How did you transition and was it successful.

I got one yesterday for my 11 month old kitten. I put it where the other box was but just moved the old one across the room.

When I came down this morning he had only used the old one. So I decided to take away the open tray and just leave the Modkat. Well it would appear that he hasn't been all day so I just don't know what to do tonight.

I have put his old litter in there and popped him in but only once as he doesn't like being picked up.

Any suggestions what I should do over night tonight? He sleeps in the dining room/conservatory at night so an accident wouldn't be the end of the world but I don't want to cause him distress or discomfort if he won't go.

Thank you in anticipation.

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Rainbow22,

I'm sure you absolutely love the modkcat's aesthetic appeal, but since owning kittens which have grown up as old as yours are now, I've learned that what I like isn't necessarily what is best, unfortunately. That said, I will try to help you to get your cat to use it, though! Just know there may be some compromises that you'll need to make, like keeping at least two litter boxes. The reason? I personally feel the modkat is pretty small, even for a single cat. Since it's also enclosed, I think having the other litter box in an inconspicuous area (like a closet or bathroom, for example, might be good.) Just know that for my idea to work, you'll need a bigger space that can hold two large boxes next to each other.

Ok, first of all, if your original litter box is an open box with shallow sides, I'd recommend you get one of those large sterilite or rubbermaid containers with lids. Make sure they are high sided but have plenty of room. I currently use a 56 quart size which are clear tubs with a white lid. I'd place this next to your original open box (in a location where your cat has enough privacy and feel relaxed to go), and add lots of litter inside--up to 4-5 inches deep. Leave the cover off, and let your cat explore around the new box. Let your old box get dirty but keep the storage box scooped regularly and clean. Once your cat uses the storage box a lot more frequently and seems comfortable going in/out, add the lid but cut an opening at the top. Use a large round plate to trace a circle with indelible ink. You may need a special tool to cut the lid opening from the hardware store. Now see how your cat takes to using the storage box with the lid. Once he uses it often enough, I'd remove the original box and place the Modkat box next to your storage box. You can try to make it more appealing to your cat if you place "cat attract" litter by Dr. Elsey in the modkat box. The herbs in that litter should make your cat curious, at least. Always keep the modkat box frequently scooped and as clean as possible. When your cat starts using the modkat, slowly move the box about a foot a day to your desired location. In the meantime, continue to keep your storage box in another part of your home, away from the modkat. I'd recommend keeping at least two boxes permanently in the house, just to give your kitty preferences and in case you don't always have time to keep the modkat clean as you'd like. I know from personal experience that kitties gravitate toward larger boxes too, but cleanliness will also play a big factor in how often they use the boxes. It's also so much more pleasant to clean a well-scooped box than one that's not cleaned often enough.

Hope this helps with the transition. Maybe others can add ideas, too? I know you've spent a lot of money on the modkat, so hopefully it's not going to be left unused. Let us know how it goes...crossing my fingers your kitty will at least start feeling comfortable around it. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rainbow22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi EmandJee

I'm so sorry for not coming back to you before but I hadn't received your response and only just saw it now when I was researching something else.

What a comprehensive response and so helpful, I wish I had see it before. Thank you.

Just to update you the modkat went back! My cat just wasn't into it at all and his comfort comes first. Fortunately they offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

I went for their flip top lid option which is perfect. Still looks good and cuts down on sweeping but most important my little one is happy. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Thank you for taking the time to help.