Mmm! Beer!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before the American Revolution, hard cider was actually the most common drink in the US. It killed the bacteria in the water. John Adams attributed his long life to drinking a pint of hard cider every day. Beer caught up after the war.

owenj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

DH calls Coors "Rocky Mountain Camel
"
I've never had Coors, so I can't comment. I'm only 21, so there's a world of beers out there for me to try

But currently at the top of my list are Blue Moon (made by Coors I believe) and Abita Purple Haze. Yuengling black and tans are good too.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I am SUCH a beer girl! And I went to Penn State, so I'm a drinker by default hahaha

Yuengling is my favorite - black and tan if I have the choice, but usually it's just the lager... I prefer the lagers over light beer by far! The majority of my friends are guys, so I guess that's why I went down the beer path lol

After 5 years of college, I can't really "do" straight liquor anymore lol and I honestly prefer not too... I can drink beer til the end of time and not get sick or hung over but the littlest bit of liquor gets me in trouble anymore haha

I indulged in some beer-y goodness today as we had a bunch of people over for labor day.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I can't believe that I drank 6 beer since Friday!
You are having a good ole time aren't you?
I am not a beer drinker. I am not much a drinker at all. I do like some wine with dinner or a cold beer occasionally with Japanese food or sake.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live just a few miles from the Coors brewery. Coors is
. My family from Nebraska think it's the best beer ever and can't understand why all of us from Colorado can't stand it.

Bud is pretty good. LaBatts is
my fav. But I also love Michelob's Amberbock, especially on a hot summer day. Leinenkeugel is really good too.

But IMO the two best kinds of beer are COLD and FREE.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I live just a few miles from the Coors brewery. Coors is
We also live a few miles from a Coors Brewery and maybe that is why I hate Coors so much. I hate to drive by it since the odor in the air is gross.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting to compare such a vast difference in taste on this list.

I am not much of a beer drinker, mostly I enjoy wine coolers or mixed exotic drinks, but even then I only drink on occasion, probably three times a year if that.

Having said that if I were to choose a beer (more for economic reasons - beer is cheaper than coolers generally), Coors Light is my beer of choice. In my pre-kid bar-hopping days I have been known to hold a wall up holding a picture of beer dragging out the last call call.

And I can SO relate to the numb lip feeling - that and "spaghetti arms"!

PS - MRBlanche, I loved the story you shared from the comedian. I never thought about how beer was "invented" before... but that is really hilarious. I have often wondered about how several foods were discovered before, like who ever decided to dig a potato out of the ground then eat it? Or who thought that stinky fungus-y mushrooms were a good idea? But it never crossed my mind about the creation of beer. Too funny!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I like beer but I do prefer wine except at baseball games. It cannot be a ballgame without beer. That would be Un-American.

I have been to the Budweiser brewery in New Hampshire twice. Once with an ex-boyfriend and once with my DH. The Clydesdales were so big and so beautiful!

DH and I also went to the Coors brewery, with the kids, in Golden CO when we were on a month's vacation.

Some of the best places to drink wine are the CA wineries. But the best place to drink beer is the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, Germany.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, it's a funny thing about beer. I can't stand drinking it, but I love cooking certain foods in it, b/c it enhances the flavor somehow. A brat soaked in beer and then cooked on the grill is absolutely yum-yum!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a time that I would drink anything from Sleeman to mixed spirits(vodka, rum, gin, and whiskey together). Now I'll only drink one of 2 kinds of beer (Rickards White and Great Western Premium) or else just straight shots of vodka

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS - I forgot to comment on the Corona comment.

Obviously, at the prices they charge, and the fact that they have been making it since 1925 - and are still in business, they are doing something right!

It is reported that Corona Extra is the top selling imported beer in the United States.

I know my hubby loves it - despite the price...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by butzie

But the best place to drink beer is the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, Germany.
Much agreed!

Actually one of the "important" things I learned in one of my senior German literature classes in college (it was about literature from the Middle Ages) is that beer was "invented" because it sterilized the water... the water in the rivers and streams was not healthy or safe to drink since those places were used as toilets and bathtubs, but brewing it made it safe! God bless the intelligence of the Germans! haha It was actually a question we had to explain on an exam as well - probably the only "easy" question on any of that prof's 400 level German classes exams

meditatingmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure what it says about me that this is the first non-cat thread I've decided to reply to!
I like dark beers, especially German ones (says this gal who's very proud of her German ancestry). There's a great biergarten near us that sells Dinkelacker Dark, and I love to go get one every now and again. I also like Red Hook. Beer makes me feel bloated, though, so one is pretty much my limit. I've been known to occasionally get tipsy on gin and tonics, which are probably my favorite alcoholic drink. I used to drink red wine, but I seem to have developed a sensitivity to the tannins, so I don't drink it much anymore. DH and I knock back a couple drinks on the weekends and enjoy having a social sip when the situation arises.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ahhh .... Beer. Right now I'm having a Sleeman's Honey Brown. It's pretty yummy! I also like Red Stripe (when I can find it), Blanch de Chamblie, and Stella Artois. I love artisan/forgeing beers