Mixed Feelings After Rescue

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days ago I was walking back to work from lunch and I heard a kitten screaming. After some looking I spotted it under one of the cars in the parking lot. It was terrified and panting. This is a busy parking lot with cars and delivery trucks constantly zooming by. It took over a half an hour of me rolling around on the asphalt to finally get a hold of this little baby. When I finally did, he literally collapsed in my arms. I think it was from pure exhaustion. He was covered in fleas and very skinny. I'm guessing around 10 weeks old. As I carried him in to work I was stopped by a lady who works nearby who wanted to pet him. When I recounted his story she immediately said she would clock out from work and take him home. I talked to her the next day to ask how he was doing. She said he is doing well and has him in isolation because of her other cat. She seems like a very nice caring person who is knowledgeable about cats. The problem is I can't stop worrying about him. I turned him over to someone that I know nothing about. I feel very guilty over this. There is nothing in her words that threw up any red flags or anything, I just wish I would have found out a little more about her before I handed him over. I knew I could't keep him (we have 8 already), I was planning on leaving work and taking him to a shelter so when she offered to take him it felt like she was a godsend. I know he is better off in a home than a parking lot, but I want him to have a GOOD home. I guess it's pointless now, she's got him. She did say he will be an indoor only cat so that makes me a little happier. I guess this post is just a reminder to others to try and fully vet a person before you hand over a baby. It may help to stop the constant worry I am dealing with now.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely don't beat yourself up on this!!! In a perfect world, you would have remembered to ask everything - but you were in crisis mode with this poor baby. And it sounds like you got the good Samaritan of all good samaritans! If she sounded knowledgeable about cats, was actually willing to take off work immediately to get him taken care of, AND she didn't give you any "off" feelings that got your spidey senses riled up - - - I think it probably WAS a godsend! Just think - you found him what's very likely a loving forever home without him being put through the stress of a shelter system (even great shelters are stressful - any shelter worker will tell you that!).

You do mention you ran into her again the next day - and it sounds like you know where she works - - I think it would be perfectly fine to "run into" her again (even if it means a little stalking) and ask about the little one again. And then I'd ask if she'd be willing to give you her phone number, or email address so that you can at least check in on how he's doing every now and then because he tugged at your heartstrings. Out of all of the fosters we've done - we've had only a handful that weren't willing to do that - most have been more than happy to send us updates, pictures, etc. I think if you don't make it sound like you're checking up on him because you worry about how SHE'S doing with him - - versus just that you want to check in every now and then to see how he's doing - - she'll be fine with it. Most "kitty parents" are more than willing to show off pictures of their babies :)

You absolutely did the right thing. He probably wouldn't have made it much longer by himself - and he's probably curled up on her couch right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that. I think that most of my concern comes from me being a natural born worrier. I do wish that the following day she would gave told me that she immediately took him to the vet for a checkup. I did let her know about a vet office that will do the initial exam for free. I did want to check back in with her on his progress but was afraid she would think I was a bit of a stalker :lol:. This is the first cat that I have rescued that I didn't keep. (Which is why I have 8) I do think this little guy was incredibly lucky that she showed up when she did. She really seems like a good person. If something like this ever happens again I will take it to the vet myself and THEN look for someone to adopt.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You dont need to worry about asking - you are naturally interested after all, YOU did the initial rescue and gave it quite some effort and time. After all, you are supposed to have a common interest, both of you. Cats as such, and this little one in particular.
You can even ask to visit her and see this little guy...

Its socially fully acceptable, as long you put the questions nicely.