Misters sudden friend... Or girl friend?

mrsfpmister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh how I adopted the worlds most complicated cat... Lol. While the over grooming is still a challenge, the extra play time (thanks da bird and kickaroo!) has taken the edge off.
But now I have a new problem....

Our apartments are supposed to have no outdoor cats (we live near wildlife) but one neighbors kitty has free roam, and I think she's in love with Mister.
She is a skittish female calico, and there was a number on her collar, which I called (just in case she ran away). Owner told me she is indoor/outdoor and spayed. So no worries there.
Problem is, they love meeting up at the window.
My BEDROOM window.
She calls in a very friendly way, and Misters response is a strange mix of hyper, annoyed, lonely and happy. But the yowling makes me crazy! My husband and I barely sleep about 3 days out of the week!
I have tried closing the blinds and window, it made things much worse. I kept them closed for two weeks till Mister almost became tangled this morning and I lifted the blinds.
I have noticed no spraying, misdirected aggression, but I worry about it being stressful because I've noticed he will have slightly loose stools after each visit, which is weird.

Should I let them talk? Maybe I can shoo her away without hurting her?
I've tried making noises at her, and staring her in the face to scare her (from the window) but she just runs a few feet and calls louder. :/

Any ideas?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!

Is your cat neutered?  Do you know who owns the other cat and if yes, could you discuss this with them?  Maybe they could keep the other cat in at night?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsfpmister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Um, as I said in my post, both cats are fixed, and I still have their phone number. I tried to gently address the issue of her visits yesterday by calling them up again and explaining that their interactions were causing disturbances (both for us, and my upstairs neighbor left a note on my door...)
The mans response was polite, but the general message was "not my problem close your window or something". When I again explained that blinds/closing windows had not been a solution to the problem, and is really needed some sleep, his response was "I can't control my cat when she's outside, it's cruel to keep her in, so I don't know how I can help. Maybe control your cat or let him outside." Then he hung up.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow not helpful. Maybe it's time for a nice handwritten note with a request to keep the cat in at night, with a box of chocolate and a bottle of champagne left on his doorstep? And maybe a video of your cat going crazy on a cheap memory stick attached to the chocolates....

mrsfpmister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know right?! What frustrates me is that as this continues I will be faced with the (deserved) wrath of my neighbors, yet he is two buildings down, so it will be easy to escape blame.
I try to stay patient with both cats involved, but his response has me tempted to use the water bottle technique on her to create an unpleasant experience near the window enough times to keep her away.
Mister has gotten better as I have switched his feeding slowly, and luckily after some yummy wet food he mostly wants to nap, and not yowl.
I feel badly for doing this though, as I have NEVER sprayed my cat, and while I have given into being loud and making "mean" cat noises a couple times at them both after being awoken suddenly, I feel using pain/negative behavior (it's just water) corrections is effective but yet... Not as good for cats vs dogs.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow that is some dilemma.

its pretty rude how the female calico's owner is not phased by this whole situation.

if i were you, I would take it up with management, let them know his cat is roaming around, since you mentioned in your first post that there are no outdoor cats allowed.

the calico's owner should feel some sense of responsibility, as his kitty is causing a disturbance to not only you, but your neighbors, and they're just directing all of it towards you (not fair)

you could consider letting your cat out, if you have an enclosed catio, maybe they can meet with a fence between them, and do all the talking they want. 

its very difficult to come between two cats. for whatever reason this female calico has bonded with misters, and wants his company. 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a possible solution for you.  If its just one window (?) then placing this on the outside of the window on the ledge, or taped to the glass, or velcroed to the glass WILL get the other cat to leave.  Its a motion detector with whistle and it blasts air if the whistle doesn't work.

mrsfpmister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have notified the management (after the neighbor note I called them) and luckily the office manager has cats and is understanding, especially because I called before anyone had called them. I did my best to not get angry when I learned his lease was "grandfathered" in on the out door rule, but they will contact him and mediate for us if need be.
An I wish I could let him outdoors to say hello, but attempts at leash were a no-go, and I cannot alter the concrete patio enough to make it escape proof (Drats!)

The whistle is a brilliant idea, though with my cats issues I may not use it as I might scare him from the window/bedroom completely... But the air might work!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have notified the management (after the neighbor note I called them) and luckily the office manager has cats and is understanding, especially because I called before anyone had called them. I did my best to not get angry when I learned his lease was "grandfathered" in on the out door rule, but they will contact him and mediate for us if need be.
An I wish I could let him outdoors to say hello, but attempts at leash were a no-go, and I cannot alter the concrete patio enough to make it escape proof (Drats!)

The whistle is a brilliant idea, though with my cats issues I may not use it as I might scare him from the window/bedroom completely... But the air might work!
I think this device lets you choose either whistle only or whistle and air but not air only. But you could always sit up one night with a water hose at the ready......

mrsfpmister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I figured I'd just position my self in the bed and hopefully be awake enough to not hit the wall or floor lol

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope the management is able to intervene and make the situation better for you, and your neighbor!

I don't think an automated water spritzer will hurt the situation any. 

Clearly you're not a cat hater. You have common sense and you've reached out to the calico's owner. I hope management will be able to help you, if not, you have to take matters into your own hands I guess.