Missing one day of Prednisolone

Mewsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! My cat has been on 10 mg of Prednisolone twice a day (5 mg each pill- 10 mg total a day) for a few days for asthma. Prior to that he was on 5 mg a day. My sister will be taking care of him and giving him his meds when we are away. Question- if she is not available one day, will it adversely affect him to miss one day of steroids? Is that safe? As well, can she give him the full 10 mg in one dose a day (only for two days total)?

Thanks for any advice!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely call your vet and ask. Steroids are SO strong and need to be given exactly as ordered. DO NOT double up. She may be able to give (1) 5 mg dose a day but even that is tricky. This is not something to be just guessing, it can be fatal. i would titer him down and discontinue before I left to be safe. Thank you for asking for help!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With meds like this, the standard instructions are to skip the missed dose.

If you forget a dose and it's 12 hours or more until the next dose, go ahead and give it even though it is late.
If you forget a dose and it's less than 12 hours until the next dose, skip it and give the next dose at the regular time.

Unless your vet gives you reasons, otherwise, it is usually okay to miss one dose, on occasion.

Still, there's no reason not to call your vet and check, just to be sure. :)

If you miss more than one dose, you must call your vet before resuming.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mewsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely call your vet and ask. Steroids are SO strong and need to be given exactly as ordered. DO NOT double up. She may be able to give (1) 5 mg dose a day but even that is tricky. This is not something to be just guessing, it can be fatal. i would titer him down and discontinue before I left to be safe. Thank you for asking for help!
I will call the vet! Thanks for your advice!

Mewsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With meds like this, the standard instructions are to skip the missed dose.

If you forget a dose and it's 12 hours or more until the next dose, go ahead and give it even though it is late.
If you forget a dose and it's less than 12 hours until the next dose, skip it and give the next dose at the regular time.

Unless your vet gives you reasons, otherwise, it is usually okay to miss one dose, on occasion.

Still, there's no reason not to call your vet and check, just to be sure. :)

If you miss more than one dose, you must call your vet before resuming.
Okay, this is helpful! Thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely call your vet and ask. Steroids are SO strong and need to be given exactly as ordered. DO NOT double up.
:yeah: I couldn't agree more! Our cat was on Prednisolone awhile back and our vet was very specific about how to administer it as well as wean him off when the time came.

Mewsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for your advice! I just talked to the vet. She said he would be okay without the 10 mg for one day, but to make sure that it is NO LONGER than that. She said typically they suggest every other day at smaller doses, but for just once, it should be okay. Whew. Just want to make sure he is okay! Thanks again! :)