Missing Hair Tip Of Tail

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The tip of my 3 yo Lucy's tail is missing fur. It's just on the very tip. She will chase her tail when she is on the bed doing her crazy thing (she loves the sheets and blankets) and stop to lick it for a moment but I have never seen her be obsessive with it. She is a very needy cat and likes to be with me. Other people in the house send her running under the bed.

I started noticing the fur missing early December. The was a major change in our household the end of November as my husband passed away. Even though I never noticed Lucy or her brother acting like they missed him, I am thinking maybe this is how she has been dealing with his death. Any thoughts?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.:(

It's possible that your kitty's tail may have an injury. Do you think the tail got accidentally caught in a closing door later last year, or something like that? If the tail is injured, and depending on the severity, this can be painful for the cat and maybe that's why she's trying to lick it/ chase it? Maybe a vet visit is in order.
:vibes: :crossfingers:

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest a vet visit to see if it is injured or if she is stress over grooming. :bouquet::grouphug:I'm so sorry for loss. I'm sure you are extra stressed/missing him ...... and your cat is probably feeling the same way.:grouphug: Plus cats respond to our stress.... then again some cats just chase their tails ... in which case she may need to be redirected to toys.
:dizzycat:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, thank you all for your condolences.

I'm very sure there was no injury and, believe it or not, I have not been too emotional since his death as he was very sick for the past year but she still could have picked up on my grief during those first couple of weeks. I really hate taking her the vet because she might put her on Prozac. I have just been watching and seeing if it gets worse which I don't think it is.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, if you think it’s not getting worse, that’s good to hear. Hope the fur will grow back.