Missing fur

Ivymay14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi ! I’ve had my rescue cat Ivy since September last year . When we got her she was up to date with injections and neutered - she’s 3 years old .
she’s very content and loves a cuddle . She’s gotten into a routine now where she’s in most of the day and goes out for a few hours in the evening after her dinner . She’s then back in for the night .
move noticed in the last few weeks that she had a patch of fur missing on her back end and that the fur on her tail where it joins her body has gone thin , it looks like it’s been shaved?It doesn’t look sore but she always cleaning herself . I do her flea treatment every month ( she had it last week ) and she’s due her next working treatment next month .
many advice or ideas what this could be? I’ve never had a cat before so not sure if this is something that happens ?
she uses a little tray sometimes as she doesn’t always want to go out . Could that be anything to do with it ? I clean it out daily or more if needed and change the whole tray over when needed. She seems fine , I just don’t want her to lose anymore fur or keep on at it. Would appreciate any feedback
Thanks ! :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Until you find out why this has happened keep her inside. Something outside could have caused this

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It wouldn't seem likely to be the litter, unless you have changed it recently or she is using the litter box more than before. But, you could try a different litter just to see.

It does sound like she might be overgrooming that area which would explain the thinning. But, there are a ton of things that could cause that. Allergies of most any kind, including things she could be allergic to outside. It could be something to do with her 'private' parts based on your description of where the thinning is located - like stool, anal gland, or urinary tract issues.

I'd observe her closely and see if you can identify other unusual behaviors/activities that could give you a clue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ivymay14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It wouldn't seem likely to be the litter, unless you have changed it recently or she is using the litter box more than before. But, you could try a different litter just to see.

It does sound like she might be overgrooming that area which would explain the thinning. But, there are a ton of things that could cause that. Allergies of most any kind, including things she could be allergic to outside. It could be something to do with her 'private' parts based on your description of where the thinning is located - like stool, anal gland, or urinary tract issues.

I'd observe her closely and see if you can identify other unusual behaviors/activities that could give you a clue.
thank you for your response .
The litter has always been the same one since we got her . I’ve had another check today and it looks like there are patches either side of her back end now where there is fur missing and then her tail that’s thin ( looks like it’s been shaved a little , that’s the only way to describe it )
She was at it earlier and I got her to stop but we are out all day at work so there’s only so much I can get her to stop .
guess il just keep an eye on it - just wondering at what stage I should do something about it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is going to require some investigation on your part, and perhaps some experimenting. You could always take some pics and send them to the vet to see if they might recognize what it is from the pics, but I wouldn't be hopeful. Since there is no rawness or open sores, there is not much for the test to swab test. But, they could swab test the skin cells. Tbh, I think they would ask the same things that are being asked here.

Investigation deals with looking for any changes in your household or outdoors that happened shortly before the thinning and grooming started. New bedding, blankets, or other surfaces that she lays on, or cleaning products that have been used on them, is one example, If there has been a recent seasonal change that can impact the types of allergens outside, as one example. Does she sit low to, or on, the ground to poop or pee - both inside the litter and outdoors in the dirt(?). Lawn/outside area treatment sprays in the correlative time frame. Without doing some of this type of investigation it will be hard to narrow down what might be the issue. Keeping her indoors only, as mentioned above, is one of the experiments that you can try to see if it makes a difference.

Lastly, food changes or her becoming allergic to an existing food cannot be ruled out entirely. Something that is being digested in her bowel can turn into an irritant when the remnants are expelled, even if it doesn't seem to be upsetting her digestive tract otherwise.

You can always go the easy route and ask the vet to give her a shot of steroids. That might resolve the problem, at least temporarily.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ivymay14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi , my rescue cat has recently had some bald patches appear . She’s always grooming herself and goes outside once of twice a day for an hour or so . She spends more time indoors .

I noticed a couple of months ago that she had a couple of patches on her back end and her tail was looking a little thin from the fur going - it looked like she had been shaved .
I took her to the vets and £150 later they advised a stronger flea treatment and a steroid injection as they thought it could be mites .
I’ve kept up with the flea treatment they gave however this morning I’ve noticed another large bald patch on her side appear ! It’s not sore but the fur has gone .
Would prefer to avoid another vet bill but wanted to know anyone’s advice before taking her back if not .
Should I look at a cream to stop her itching or getting at it ? There’s clearly something that’s irritating her .

many thanks