Missing Feral Kitten

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sad. In my neighborhood, there are many feral cats. I felt so bad for these homeless cats, I started feeding them. My neighbors hate me, I'm sure. One of the reasons I felt so bad because there was a kitten - probably 3 months old running around with this crowd. My intention was to gain their trust and then catch the kitten. Well, one day, I had my opportunity. The baby turned his back, and I caught him, I picked him up. But then he squirmed around, and I didn't want to hurt him, so I put him back down. He was slightly scared, but overall fine. So I just let it be and thought I might try another time. Well, a couple of days later - he's missing. I looked all over the neighborhood and I cannot find him. I am so sad because I had my opportunity. He was in my hands, and I let him go. Now, I'm afraid he died. I read that 75% of feral kittens never make it to adulthood. I keep hoping that there is a small chance that he just moved on, but I just don't think so because I think this mom is still here. To add insult to injury, I think his mom is now pregnant. I hate this vicious cycle. I really don't want to be the person who perpetuates this cat overpopulation problem. I feed them because I feel so bad for them. Especially because I have cats myself. I have 4...and sometimes my cats look outside, and the feral cats look back inside, and I just feel so bad that my cats have a good life and the feral cats are homeless. I have 4 cats already. I can't keep any more. I don't know - should I try to catch this mom cat? I think she's pregnant again. I keep telling myself - I feed them, the rest is up to them, but - I don't want this pregnant cat to deliver in the outside and then another baby kitten dies. I am so heartbroken about this one kitten I can't find. What should I do? Should I try to catch this pregnant female, or just let her be? It's hard, she is just beginning to trust me, but she has not let me pet her yet. This is big, because she used to not even come out in my presence. Now, she comes to my porch and sits there waiting for food. Also, what should I do - can I continue to feed these cats, or should I stop? I know my neighbors hate me, but I feel bad for them, they are homeless...P.S. There is another neighbor 2 doors down from me that is also feeding another group of ferals too. What would you do - try to catch the pregnant female, or just leave her alone? Also, what do you think happened to the missing kitten? :(

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
personally, i'll feed any cat that needs it.
most people here insist you get them neutered.
in your situation, stopping the breeding cycle might be a good idea.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a mother and two kittens end up on the property I work at. When I called the Humane Society they told me the #1 thing was to keep them well fed, especially when it is getting colder at night. You are not wrong to feed them it is cruel to not feed them. It is cruel to let a domesticated animal starve to death. #2 was to trap them to TNR them. Where I live the Humane Society offered to cover most of the cost to have a checkup, spay / neuter, shots and ID chip.

I personally think you should keep feeding them, to stop feeding them would be cruel. Then do all that you can do to achieve #2. I don't feel that you "have to" get them spayed and neutered but that you "should" get them spayed and neutered. It is not for me to tell you what to do so that is why I don't feel you "have to".

You should talk to your neighbors you feel hate you and tell them you have no other option. My boss questioned me when I started feeding the cats at work and I told him I had no other option as I could not watch them starve to death. My boss agreed with me. Your neighbors may very well agree with you unless of course they are cold hearted people, which they probably are not. You should be up front with your neighbors and tell them you want to fix the problem the humane way by starting with getting the population under control via TNR. Maybe you can get some neighbors to help you if they are concerned about the cats in the neighborhood they "should" help you, again I am not going to say they "have to" help.

Hopefully someone got the same idea as you about the kitten and it is inside somewhere right now. You should try to think positive as the negative will eat you up inside. You are a beautiful person to care about the cats so please don't beat yourself up over it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I caught the pregnant cat. It look a long time, but, I just opened my front door, let food inside the foyer, and after a long time, she walked in to eat, and I closed the door. She went ballistic, actually climbing the walls. She sprayed scared-juice out her butt all over my house - it stank!!! I tried to get her down and got bit. Don't worry, I went and got antibiotics. It does hurt though. Now I keep her in my fenced-in patio. A transition from being indoors and outdoors. I have made a bunch of nests for her, she doesn't seem to like any of them. I have no idea how far along she is. Her belly is big - bulging from both sides, but I don't see engorged nipples yet. She keeps whining. I know - because her 'friend' is still on the outside - friend / brother / baby-daddy. I don't know what to do - I'm afraid the meowing is going to upset the neighbors. I did catch her brother-friend, but he went ballistic too and climbed the screened doors. I let him go. I just wanted to catch her so she doesn't have babies outside. I just don't want them to die. I have been trying to make her happy - gave her wet food, treats, but she still hides in a corner, afraid of me. She has soft yellow poops - I don't know if its diarrhea. I don't know if I should de-worm her. Is it safe on a pregnant cat? I don't know if I can even handle her to give her meds - she bit me hard when I tried to pick her up. She is NOT a friendly cat - she is definitely FERAL. I don't know if she has fleas - she won't let me near her to check...ugh, what do I do? I'm almost desperate - thinking I'll just let her go.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The soft yellow poops are not normal. She probably has parasites. You need to get panacur from a vet or tractor supply and mix it into her wet food. It is safe for pregnant and nursing moms.

As miserable as she sounds, it's best to keep her in. Her babies will be safer, and you'll be able to socialize them and find homes for them eventually.

Most importantly, mom will need spaying before she is released so the cycle stops.

Poor mama kitty does sound feral and very frightened. Hopefully she will learn to relax and trust you a bit. Hang in there! :)