Missing Cat...struggling To Cope.

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my boys, Oliver, went missing three days ago. He escaped out of a window some EMTs carelessly left open, thinking we had called them, when really, the call had come from a neighbor.

I've posted on every lost pet website I can find, passed out flyers, went out looking for him every night, and no sign of him. I put some of his things, some food, and his litter box out there to try and lure him back home. I've notified nearby shelters, and animal control. I've done everything I possibly can, but I just can't get it out of my mind. And what's more - I found a dead cat on the side of the road near my house this morning. It wasn't him. But it looked enough like him to shake me up.

Maybe I'm just venting because I don't know what else to do...has anyone else gone through this? Any advice for me? I don't know how to cope.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is safe, go out to search at dusk and dawn. Take a flashlight. Begin near your house, under the porch if you have one, in the garage and slowly move outward. Wear jeans and a jean jacket and take his carrier. He may not recognize you when you find him and struggle when you grab him. Once you get him home, he'll remember who you are. this doesn't mean he doesn't want to be rescued, he does. It's the fear and shock effect.

I'm really sorry this happened to you and your cat. You might let the EMT's nearest you know. Not to get their help, but so they won't do this again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to the great advice above, keep doing everything you've been doing, again and again. Keep checking the shelters.

Here are a few other places where you can post at no cost to you if you haven't already.

Pet Harbor- LOCAL SHELTERS- PetHarbor.com: Animal Shelter adopt a pet; dogs, cats, puppies, kittens! Humane Society, SPCA. Lost & Found.

Lost My Doggie - Lost My Doggie - Our Lost Dog Locating Service will Help Find Your Lost Dog, Lost Cat or Missing Pet -- click on “How It Works” tab at the top – then at the bottom click on “START MY FREE ALERT” and follow the prompts

Paw Boost- Find Your Lost Pet

Your state's Lost and Found Pets page on facebook, and also your local neighborhood's facebook page.

Your local Craigslist
Helping Lost Pets: Helping Lost Pets, Find cats dogs found pets missing stolen

When you knock on your neighbor’s doors show them the flyers so they know what to look for. One of them may have your pet for safekeeping, or your kitty might have tried to shelter in a garage or shed and may have been accidentally shut in.

Please update these websites when your pet is found, and let us know as well.

Also try some holy basil or l-tryptophan to help with the stress. We're sending you every good thought and prayer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I hadn't posted on one of those, so I joined it :)

My fear right now is that he will either end up dead on the side of the road, or that someone will steal him. If he ends up at a shelter, he has a chip, and I've notified every place in the area of him, so I'm hoping he'll end up in one of those. I can't stand the thought of never knowing what happened to him, or never getting him back. I've got his litter box, some articles of clothing, and food out for him, to try to lure him here, or in case he comes back, and I'm not home. He'll have something to eat, at least.

He's the kind of cat that runs when he's scared though, even from me. I'm afraid he'll keep running forever :/ ;_;

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a porch make a nest for him under it with your worn clothes. Buy a small dog house and make a nest inside it. Put his food outside whichever one you choose to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please also give flyers to all the local vets' offices as well.

And, when you go out at dusk and dawn, call to him, shake a treat/food can/bag - and, take a lawn chair to sit on as you need to stay in one location for a bit in case it would take him a while to get to you. Plus, you not moving around and being in one spot might scare him less.

I think you said you notified neighbors, but also ask them if they are willing to check any sheds/buildings/etc. on their property where he might be hiding out.

Please do keep us posted.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank goodness he is chipped! That said, DO keep checking back with shelters and local vets. Shelters are largely staffed by volunteers, and they are often overworked, and sometimes animals can slip through the cracks. Better safe than sorry.

MOST lost cats are hiding close to home. When you search, go low in dark, enclosed places, and don't forget to look UP, in case he went up a tree and can't get back down!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep going to the shelters and looking at the cats. They are overworked and might miss him.