Missing Cat ...question might upset some

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More
to you tonight. I, too, had another good cry tonight over Yogi, my feral friend. He is gone, but I still look for him every so often, even though I know that it is futile. I have one picture of him I took with my phone, and when I look at it I cry too. I have come to accept that this is just the negative part of caring for ferals, not having control over their daily safe keeping. Your situation with Mike is different because he was already your pet cat. Yogi was still an unsocialized feral that I had a bond with and hopes of socializing this summer, but I was too late
. I think you have to allow yourself to grieve, and as long as you are moving through the process of that grief you are OK. If you are stuck in your grief, talking to a grief counselor or pet loss support group would help you very much.

wckoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you should cry. Get it out of your system. I know it seems like it will never end but it will if you persist. I'm so sorry. *hugs*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually used to feed this stray white cat....I couldn't get him to stay inside my home ...he freaked and always wanted out...plus I was worried he had some kinda illness and worried he would spread it to my cat ...but as a cat lover I had to help...I tried in vain to find a place that would take him but they were all so full with cats they all refused...Winter was coming and the weather turning cold...the last time I saw him he was in very bad shape...alot of cuts on his face and some kinda red skin irritation...again I asked friends and family ..even offering vet care if someone would just take him in...But then I never saw him again..that was 3 years ago..and I always say I should have just forced him to stay in my spare room...it might have came to that if he would have came back...So I know how hard dealing with strays and ferals can be..and how attached us cat lovers can get ..
I don't think I am going to get over the loss of Mike anytime soon....and if I feel its affecting my daily routine and such I will seek help..thanks for all your concern

kitkat64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah Nance, I feel so bad for you and, at the same time, I feel bad for myself.
I had the exact same thing happen to me last summer with my 5 year old Poopy. She was an indoor/outdoor cat. Went out every day and came in every night. Then, one night, she just didn't show up. I was on vacation at the time so I spent my days searching for her. I had people call me with sightings....nothing. I cried my eyes out more times than I can count. I knew she wouldn't just NOT come back if she could. I think now that she probably got hit by a car and was injured and hid somewhere to protect herself and probably died of her injuries. I never found her.
Just two days ago, my neighbor came over with one of her old cat collars with her little name tag on it. It wasn't the one she was wearing when she disappeared but, still, it hurt.

So, my thoughts are with you. It will probably take awhile for you to get over it, to stop thinking that you have seen a cat that looks just like yoursk etc.
But, maybe, in time, you will have space in your heart for a new kitty and she will love you just as much as Mike. But, of course, Mike will always have a big place in your heart.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a feeling its something that will always bother me as well from time to time...Its been 2 months...I stopped looking...I stopped placing flyers and online ads...BUT yesterday I was looking at my newspaper and I see a cat for adoption at the OSPCA stating he was a stray and brought in with another cat...now I contacted them back when Mike went missing sent them a picture and all the info needed...I am about 75% sure the cats not Mike( because of the area the OSPCA covers )...but he looks alot like Mike....in the ad they say older brown tabby...I tried to call them but they were closed and not opened til Monday...but when I talked to them on the phone they said ohhhhh if we get any cat fitting Mike's descriptions they would call me...It just has me worried about all the shelters I called ...do they even check thier records ? Do they try to see if the owner has contacted them ? I am going to call Monday and then go up and see if its him...likely not ...but Mike could have gotten very thin being gone for 2 months now.. I am upset and worring again ...I should have NOT relied on them calling me ...maybe I should have gone weekly and checked for myself ?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand your concern and now there is that teeny, tiny ray of hope...... It wouldn't hurt to go and check out this cat otherwise you will just drive yourself crazy over it and you don't need that at all. Was Mike microchipped? I can't remember if you said if he was or wasn't,
. Because if he was then any shelter/rescue that gets him in would be in contact with you. So I am assuming Mike did not have a microchip. Still think of you

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No your right he wasn't chipped....I'm upset and mad at myself as well....I feel like I did before...maybe I should have done more to find him...I sent e-mails and pics of him to the 2 shelters ...I have to believe they would have called me if they found a cat that looked like Mike..what if they don't do that
Here we go again....thanks for responding

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called about the cat in the newspaper...turns out it was a miss print ?? And it wasn't a stray after all and he was surrendered by his owner..so wasn't him...But I asked if every cat they get in do they check their lost file and she said to me..we get over 1000 cats a year...so thats a no I said ? She said they do the best they can...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just let it go then.... I know it is hard and you might have these ups and downs for sometime
You were a good meowmy to Mike
. Don't second guess things that you should have done now because it won't make a difference other than to bring you down into that dark place. Brighter days ahead

Lauren

videoscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat once ran away for 3 weeks and came home as if nothing had happened.