Missing Cat On A Caribbean Island

Duarte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I have never joined an online community or even posted a thread before, but this is a special circumstance. I've lost my beloved cat nearly three weeks ago and my life has been a swirling mess ever since. I am unsure if I'll ever see him again, but I feel like telling my story will make me feel better somehow.

As a background, I am a medical student studying on St. Kitts Caribbean island. I've been here for about 8 months and brought my Cat "Kovu" with me, as he is my rock and I couldn't imagine not bringing him with me. I live on a very steep street with multiple houses around and forests. There are also a few dogs and small monkeys around.

Day 1
I typically had a routine every morning. I would get up around 7 am, feed Kovu, let him out in the front yard, & study for about an hour. On a normal day, he would just sit on the porch and walk around a bit, and he would typically come back in 20-30 minutes (only the odd time he would be gone for 1-2 hours). However, on July 31st after my 1-hour study session I noticed he hadn't come back, I thought nothing of it and continued with my day taking, a shower, breakfast, etc. In my head I thought "he'll be back soon." Another two hours passed by and I grew a bit more concerned, but I continued with my studies because I had exams the next day. The longest he's ever been gone was around 6 hours, so I wasn't too concerned because I thought he would always come back. Around 5 pm was when the panic started to creep in, but I was in denial. He always had his dinner at 6:30 pm and I thought for sure he would return, as he never misses to let me know it's time for dinner. As 6:30 turned into 7 and 7:30, I knew without a shadow of a doubt something was wrong and my heart sank. I stopped my studies and took to the street. I looked everywhere, screaming his name, asking my landlord, and checking every bush. After about 2-3 hours of searching, I came back home and sat on my couch with my front door open. I sat there for another two hours just praying for him to burst in and start meowing like he usually does. The feeling of seating there in silence was nothing like I'd experienced before. Shame, guilt, anger, and sadness, I remember thinking to myself "Why did I let him outside unsupervised?" "People told you not to let him outside or he might get lost, but you didn't listen." I left the door open all night and slept for about 2-3 hours in total, I spent the majority of the night looking at the ceiling and googling "what to do if your cat goes missing."

Week 1
After my exams I rushed home ready to put a plan into action, I printed a flier and took to the streets again. I asked every person outside and went door to door asking to search their properties; I looked in every bush and hole; I screamed Kovu the entire time; I walked around with open tuna cans; I put up multiple lost posters. As the day turned into night, I busted out my flashlight and continued my search. But after about 8 hours of nonstop searching, my body couldn't take it and I had to return home. I was sunburnt, exhausted, and unbelievably numb with physical and even worse emotional pain. I couldn't believe I actually lost my boy Kovu. It was as if a part of my heart was gone and nothing else mattered. I sat on my couch that night waiting in silence going through negative thoughts and scenarios in my head. I attempted to go to bed that night, but after about 3 hours of looking at the ceiling, I had enough. Around 2-3 am I went out again until the sun came up in search of my boy. As the days passed I continued to search and search, not eating, not sleeping, just searching. I had done everything google told me to do, but still no Kovu. I was a broken man and honestly still am.

Week 2
My semester was coming to a close and final exams were quickly approaching, but the only thing on my mind was my boy. Fortunately, I have an unbelievably loving family and my mom and sister came to search for me, so I could focus on my studies. They stayed for about a week to continue the search. One day they came home after being out and I heard a meowing, I remember thinking "THEY FOUND HIM!", as I turned around I saw a small kitten. They adopted a small girl for me to help me take my mind off everything. At first, I was a bit hesitant about having a new kitten, but I quickly changed my mind as "Keva" and I had an instant connection. Days before they left they had a major lead. A man who lives in a fenced property about 8-minute walk away (near the bottom of the steep street) feeds around five cats every morning & night, on Friday 12th he was pretty positive he saw my cat with a group of others he fed. We headed back there the next day to ask if he had seen him again, but he hadn't. We searched his entire property but didn't see any cats.

At this point I still feel numb with sadness, but I know I've done everything I could to find him. The school semester is over and I am on a 2-week break, I had plans to return home, but chose to stay here in case Kovu came back or someone spotted him. I am supposed to move housing on September 2nd into a much nicer place, but now I'm thinking of staying at this house in hopes he will return.

I feel like there's not much else I can do at this point but wait and pray for someone to spot him or for him to return. But if anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Kovu.jpg Kovu Missing Poster JPG.jpg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The fliers are a great idea. Our area has a missing/lost/found pets facebook page, you could always make an account and search to see if there's one for your area. Odds are, he's hanging around close by and if a nearby neighbor thinks he's made friends with a local colony, that's great news! He's probably hanging close by. I've read that scattering their litter around can help bring them back, but its' been long enough I assume that's not going to be possible?
Would the man that feeds the colony be willing to call you if he thinks he spots Kovu? If you last saw him on July 31 and the man who feeds the colony thinks he saw him on the 12th, that's only been a few days. He's probably hanging around, but cats are quite good at being unseen. I sure hope you find him, he's gorgeous and I know how it makes you almost sick with worry when they're missing :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you physically gone to where this man feeds the cats morning and evening at the time that he feeds them? You might be doing this and I may have misunderstood, but if you are not I think that you should physically investigate. We have had members who have lost cats for periods of six and seven weeks and had them return.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Duarte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fliers are a great idea. Our area has a missing/lost/found pets facebook page, you could always make an account and search to see if there's one for your area. Odds are, he's hanging around close by and if a nearby neighbor thinks he's made friends with a local colony, that's great news! He's probably hanging close by. I've read that scattering their litter around can help bring them back, but its' been long enough I assume that's not going to be possible?
Would the man that feeds the colony be willing to call you if he thinks he spots Kovu? If you last saw him on July 31 and the man who feeds the colony thinks he saw him on the 12th, that's only been a few days. He's probably hanging around, but cats are quite good at being unseen. I sure hope you find him, he's gorgeous and I know how it makes you almost sick with worry when they're missing :(
I've posted on every Facebook page here on the island.

I actually do have some of his used litter still, I went for a walk tonight and made a trail from where he was seen back to my place.

Yes, I gave that man my number and asked him to contact me if he sees him again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Duarte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you physically gone to where this man feeds the cats morning and evening at the time that he feeds them? You might be doing this and I may have misunderstood, but if you are not I think that you should physically investigate. We have had members who have lost cats for periods of six and seven weeks and had them return.
Yes, I've been going there constantly. I went there at about 10 pm two days ago and discovered a cat. I shined my flashlight at it but wasn't able to see clearly if it was Kovu. When I approached and called Kovu, it ran away. I'm assuming it wasn't him...

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are a lot of low hanging trees w/ branches in the Caribbean…could be wise to look up, a little, as well as in the nooks and crannies. Does your cat generally come when you call? (Or come sometimes if you rattle a can w/ a utensil (or shake a bag of dry food?). Do you have access to any sort of have a heart trap? There is a thread somewhere on TCS of people playing a momma cat calling her little ones…I’ve tried making that same noise myself and it works like a charm: my cat hops up on my bed immediately and purrs. I had a cat once that did a runner…after about a week he returned, looking as if he’d had an adventure and was glad to be back. Could be he just got spooked and is holed up somewhere…in any case he is an unusual looking cat that will stick in peoples’ memories. The poster thing is a great idea. Make sure your smell is around, like an old sweaty t shirt.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And remember...when a cat is living like that, they may well run from someone that they love. Their survival instincts are in high gear, and EVERYONE looks threatening. When you are out looking, take some of his favorite treats. If you spot a likely candidate, SIT DOWN, shake the treat bag, and call him. Wait patiently for several minutes. He may approach you since you appear very non-threatening.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
These are courtesy of member MackerelTabbyStripes who found her cat after it was missing in an urban US neighborhood for 7 weeks.

Lost Cat Behavior
Lost Pet Statistics - Lost Pet Research and Recovery

They are very professionally done, not entirely pleasant to read in all cases, but might help you in some way. Would a trail cam be of any use?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And don't give up. The tomcat I grew up with (back in the bad old days when it was unheard-of to neuter a tom) went missing for just a few days short of a year, and turned up hale and hearty.