MISSING CAT! HELP!

koikoiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my cat has been gone for five days. His birthday is in November, 2021. Is he old enough to go into heat/search for partners? Could this be a possible reason that he is missing? I have looked around the neighborhood and I cannot find him. He doesn't have a collar and isn't microchipped. He is generally timid and afraid of humans and cars. What are the chances of him coming back?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, a 7 month old male is very likely to be out looking for a mate. Male cats don't go into heat, they are ready to mate at any time once they reach sexual maturity.

Does your cat usually go outside or is he indoor only? If it's his first time out he is probably hiding close by, too scared to move.

If he comes back you should get him neutered as soon as you can. This will stop him trying to get out, as well as preventing indoor spraying.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is a very good possibility he will return, but when/how somewhat depends on why he wanted to get out and whether or not he is hiding or roaming.

What all have you done to try to find him so far? Perhaps, there are some tips in this TCS article that you could use (see link below)?
Things like checking with the neighbors and asking them to look in their backyards, especially if they have sheds/shrubbery/other good hiding places for a cat. This article talks about making up flyers of your cat and placing them around the neighborhood, as well as handing them out to local vets, rescue centers, shelters, pet stores - and repeatedly following up with all of them just to keep it fresh in their minds that you want your cat back! Neighborhood kids are great resource as most of them love animals and consider it a challenge to help look out for a lost cat.
Help! My Cat Is Lost! – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely he is old enough, and this is kitten season, when a young tom's thoughts turn to all of those queens out there, singing their siren songs! He is probably wandering the area, scouting out the girls, and not thinking of another thing.

He will probably return, perhaps a bit the worse for wear (not eating, fighting other toms...they never fight to the death, so rest easy on that one), but do take FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's excellent advice to heart in helping you search. I'd also suggest that, as soon as you have him, take him to the vet to be checked for any parasites he might have picked up, and for neutering. He'll be a much happier, more content cat for it!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Put his litter outside so he can smell his way home. You should also keep a covered bed by the door for hiding (you can use a bin to make one). Often they are nearby but if you don't immediately answer the door, they go back to their hiding space.

Getting him neutered will help keep him inside and not roaming. It will lower his risk of getting in cat fights if he gets out too.

I usually recommend leash and harness training for cats who like to go out. It keeps them familiar with their surroundings so that they don't get lost but allows them to get lots of enrichment with you.