Missing cat. Can anyone help? I don't understand.

whatsonemore

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That's such a sad story about the dogs @WhatsOneMore  I can't understand why people like that even bother having pets if they can't take care of them properly.

I hope Stormy finds his way home soon.
Thanks, Norachan.  I don't understand it either, and it's an awful feeling to witness and not be able to do anything. 

Btw, I read through your very long post about your saga with your lost cat also and I'm so so sorry that he has yet to return.  I never thought I'd ever have a cat put me through this, since if any of the cats were to leave, I would have expected it to be one of the older cats that came as adults and already had the "roam" experience and confidence.  Apparently not.  Being older and having been "out there", they probably can appreciate a good thing when they got it.  lol      Anyway, thank you for your kind words about Stormy.    

whatsonemore

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BellaB, Yes, my name is because of animals.  I have a no animal left behind policy. lol  If someone gets dumped out or is just out wandering, I will bring them in and do what I need to do for them.  After taking in and then finding homes for several dogs over the years, only to be disappointed by the lack of contact or response from the owners, which raises all kinds of red flags for me, I decided to just start keeping them all.  The only rule is that everybody has to get along, which they do.  I did have an instance once where someone dumped out three pit bulls, a mother, a middle aged one and a young pup.  I was able to get the pup and find him a new owner, but the other two were pretty aggressive and I didn't want to bring them to my house and have any fights with my other dogs, so I left them at the end of my drive with food, water and shelter while I tried to find a rescue group or someone that would take them.  In the meantime, someone saw them at the end of my drive/at the gravel road, and picked them up and put them on Craig's List.  I was sad, but because all the rescue's I had called were full and a lot of shelter's won't even take them around here, I just did what I could to help the pup that I'd taken in and found a new home for.  That was several years ago and it's still one of the sad stories I think of when I think of the ones that I feel like I let down.  Actually, I get sad thinking about all of them, because not a single one has stayed in contact or let me know if they can't keep them (I've always told them no questions asked, if they can no longer keep the dog, to let me know and I'll gladly take it back).

And no, the girl didn't even take the voucher.  I ended up talking to the spay/neuter clinic about the situation and was able to transfer it over to Rosie, one of the little kittens, to have her spayed at a discount.  I almost think the girl was wanting to breed the dog and that's why she wasn't interested in getting her spayed.  She'd commented when we met her that she'd been told that the dog was purebred, but she didn't believe that and my bf, who's seen a few of them up close, agreed that she was probably not since she wasn't really as stocky as most are.  Hopefully that dissuaded her from trying, but I doubt it. 

Anyway, if I were you, I'd still put up flyers.  After three months, Blue has possibly settled in somewhere and is more comfortable being out in the daylight where he can hopefully be recognized.  Can you use your Uncle's name and phone number as the contact, to ease your mind on the wacko's?  I never use my own information either.  I put my bf's number on everything. Even if you use your own info, just word it something like "Call 555-555-5555" and leave off any personal stuff.  I really don't think any weirdo's will call looking for a good time in response to a missing cat poster.  Unless you just live in a really messed up part of the world.  lol

And yes, Cooper is fine.  He had a day out of the blue where he didn't keep his normal routine and wasn't eating or drinking and acted lethargic.  By evening, he wasn't doing any better and wouldn't drink broth, so we decided not to take any chances and took him to the after hours vet hospital.  They ran tests and said he had a really bad tick born disease, that is fatal in 60% of cats, that he didn't end up having, but not before they said he might have another one that was communicable to people.... anyway, it was a nightmare.  I came home after that first night with the diagnosis and stayed up all night researching the disease and what I could do in addition to what they were doing to get him through it.  We went to see him 15 hours later, expecting the worst, and he was walking around on our laps, head butting us, purring, acting like he always does.  I think he just needed some antibiotics for something, which they never figured out was the problem.  In any case, they had him a couple of nights and it was awful without him.  The vet who treated him said she wasn't even a cat person (THAT was comforting), but she really liked Cooper and thought he was so sweet and would have a cat like him.  So of course, I accused them of making up all these awful diseases he had just so they could keep him and get his love!!  lol  Just kidding, but I did mention that.  lol  He's a cat that doesn't have a mean bone in his body, even when you are pumping medicine down his throat 4x a day for several days.  That's a life lesson for another thread, but aside from those few days, we have all always been together and you can't go anywhere or do anything around here without at least 1 cat following you.  That makes it kind of hard to go calling and whistling for Stormy, because the whole troupe shows up and then they are meowing because you are calling someone and they want you to know that they are there, and you really need quiet to listen.  It's just a whole thing.  lol   These are cats that ALWAYS come when called.  Every single one of them.  That makes me fearful that Stormy is either too far away to hear, hard to believe since he's hardly left the yard in the several months he's been going outside or he's decided he wants to do his own thing out there or he's sick, hurt or dead. 

The animal communicator did help ease my mind, but could give me nothing of concrete use to find him.  It was more of a waiting game.  I e-mailed her last night just to touch base with her and let her know that he's still not back and there's no word from anybody I've contacted and she said the conditions of animals that are "out on their own" change every day and every hour and she wasn't sure what was happening unless she tuned back in.  She also said I had to follow my own instincts too, which are not to give her any more money, but to instead, do other things, like go knock on doors that are a mile or two away across fields and woods since in 2 1/2 weeks' time, there's no telling how far he could have went.  I also have an e-mail friend that I made when I first contacted her that first night/morning about Cooper's diagnosis (she had experience with treating the disease) who has some experience with animal communication and other forms of lost pet/person tracking.  I've begged her to harness her powers and just try, even if it's not accurate, because it's at least SOMETHING and it could be accurate, which is good enough for me at this point.

You obviously love Blue and clearly he was attached to you, but there was a lot of commotion going on that night he left and animals don't really like that, especially cats, so since what you are doing to find him hasn't worked, time to change it up and try something different like posters, checking/post on Craig's List, and maybe even call local veterinary clinics and see if anyone has brought any strays in for treatment or whatever?  My vet would keep ones that people brought in to try to find homes for, so that may be an option too, if you haven't done that.  To me, the hardest part, is getting the information in front of the people that feed strays.  I know in my case, I'm not hanging out at the local coffee shop or whatever, I'm working to pay for all these guys and girls. lol   That means you could put posters up till the end of time in the wrong places and if I found your cat, I'd never see them.  That's why I think you really need to go about finding Blue a few different ways to try to cover all your bases. I'd definitely, definitely get him on Craig's List and look through any found listings, just in case someone noticed a well fed cat and decided to check to see if anybody was missing him.  Do you have a family friend or neighbor nearby with a computer you could use?  Was the library an option or not?  It may take a little while and there are several categories that I always search under too, just to make sure I don't miss anything when I check.  Unless you are super savvy on your phone, a computer would probably be much easier, but I'm kind of old school and prefer to do as much as I can on my laptop because I'm so much more efficient with it.  We just have to do the best we can with what we have to work with though, so just do it, no matter how you have to.  That'll be one more thing you've tried that will help ease your mind about doing enough.  Hang in there. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WhatsOneMore, I like that. That's noce of you. More people should be like that. Yea, that's a rule for me too. I had 2 cats since birth. They are uncle and nephew. Well, the nephew passed a few years ago..he was sick. A while after the one that i took in came around. His owner didn't care that he was even outside. So now he's here and fine but still likes to sit in the yard. At first I didn't know how my cat would respond to him so i tried doing the feeding thing I sae on animal planet..my cat from hell with Jackson Galaxy. It didn't take alot of work. The one i took in is a cool cat so he got along fine. Mine just stood away for a while. But got used to him and became friends. They lick each other, sit together, sleep together. With Blue it was the same thing. The 2 got along fine and even tried playing together..mine wasn't sure cause once again I brought in a cat he didn't know. But they got along fine. I think they both look for him even my dog especially if/when i say Blues name. I like how both cats i took in didn't have a problem with cats or dogs since i had them too.

Wow. I can't believe someone took the dogs. They could've been yours and they would be stealing your dogs. They didn't know. And they put them on Craigslist. I would be sad too. I wish i can help the strays around here more. But there's nothing that i know of around here that would help like that. To me it seems like you help them alot. I wouldn't think you let any down. They should keep in contact with you. Especially if you are offering to take the dogs/animals with no questions asked. Not alot people that i know of are like that.

Well that was good that you got it transferred to use for Rosie. I think maybe people have dogs just to have puppies to sell. Maybe that's what they do. Who knows. Some people have a pet just to have them.

Wow. That is a big thing to misdiagnose. And not just once but twice at the same time. That's crazy. And crazy that they didn't figure out what it was. But I'm glad to hear he's fine. I would've thought and maybe said the same thing about them wanting my cat too lol.

That's kind of how it is here. On my block. The usual cats come. Even before Blue disappeared. I would go outside and put food down. I would try to call one(that belongs to people few houses down but always outside-i used to take care of her before i knew that)i would call her and if Blue was out taking a walk he would come. Then this other that has been around for a few years. It's usually just them..when i call one the other comes. But Blue was always here anyway. Now, that he's gone and when i call on my block the one that has been around for a few years comes. Also this gray cat started coning a month before Blue disappeared and kinda stays here on and off since. When i call for Blue he would come and he would follow me. It reminded me of Blue. This cat is sweet. I'll talk about him in a bit cause i need some advice i guess. But i know how you feel. Me calling him here or even around the few blocks and nothing. It makes me think he's not around here, sick, hurt, dead, doing his own thing. Blue did leavr the yard but for the most maybe an hour..but as far as i know..not the block cause he would come if one of us were outside. So he would be close enough to hear. My uncle doesn't think he's dead cause we haven't seen his body anywhere. Unless it happened in someones yard or someone just didn't want to see a cat in the street but around here we think people wouldn't care. But maybe someone cared enough to pick him up. But if that happened and we would ask people of they saw him, would they be honest ot lie. I don't know. That's the only thing that is giving me hope that, that's not the case. Not seeing a body. Another thing giving me hope is the stories I've read about cats coming back. But since it's going on 3 months. It gets harder as the days pass and some days I'm fine others i just cry thinking about him. I was very hopeful in the beginning. But i can't just give up. I refuse to think that i was a pit stop on his journey for 2 years. It can't be. In a way i have a feeling something had to happen for him not to be here but i don't want to think that way. I'm not even sure if he's still in the same city/town. Stupid me for not doing fb, Craigs, and fliers the 1st month but i thought he wouldn't be gone like this.

Yea, going on 3 months on the 10th to be exact i guess. And on friday it's 12 weeks. I hope someone is feeding him. Well feeding cats and he found food and shelter. Around here people were doing fireworks in june and july going into august..in and off. Then we had a few thunderstorms. I know he wouldn't just go up to people and kids making noise. There was alot of commotion and I thought when it settled he'd be back but maybe he's too far or scared or lost. I have no idea and it's like i don't even know how far to even look anymore or put fliers. And yes, i do love him. He was my buddy inside and outside. It was so cute how he followed me in the yard while doing the grass, or from back to the front to bring garbage out. And the way he would lay on me when i picked him up..it was luke a hug. No cat i ever had did that. I was just scared about fliers cause i don't trust people. But yes my uncle said his number. He's very aware from what I've seen so maybe someone will have seen him. So far nothing though. The hardest part is where to put fliers so people will see. And that's my problem, i don't know where. I did check Craigslist on my phone i saw some posts about missing cats and found cats..either in my town or towns/cities nearby..he's not there. I haven't jad a working computer in years. I've been using my phone for eveything. I'm not that savvy but it's what I'm used to. I think i searched correctly. My city, then in the search found cat. I guess i can try to make an account using my phone and post it. As i was on there i saw posts about missing/lost pets but some peopls dont put pictures up. Is that because they want it to be the right people? That's another thing i get worried about. Picture no picture..just a description, both. The library 2 blocks away is still closed for the summer cause of the air conditioning not working. I doubt people around here would post about finding a cat anyway. Even if they feed them. I'm not sure about any types of groups here. I don't even know how to go about it. I hope I'm searching right. I asked my friend but she didn't exactly say she would help. I'm hanging in. I just don't understand. I contacted humane society near me but he's not there .i keep checking and sent emails. I did the same to the one in the next town/city that's kind of connected but nothing. I told them that maybe someone would drop him off or say he is theirs when he isnt.

Thats what the animal communicater said? I would be begging my friend too. I would take something over nothing. Cause right now i have nothing. I even checked by this restaurant over here cause they feed cats by the parking lot..but i didn't see them. I saw a cat and bowls of food and water. But the cat hid. I feel so bad for the cats. I need to go look somewhere again. I would stay near bushy areas where i cant see in the yard and call and shake food and listen just in case but nothing. Maybr someone got a hold of him. I just don't know.

Back to this gray cat that's been coming. He's been staying on my porch on and off. Friendly towards me and purrs alot. He likes me and of course i became attached very quickly. Well, he licks his lips alot like his mouth bothers him like something is in it. It seems that way when he eats too. Me and my mom figured we would just love him and feed him and see how he is. But he started doing that and I'm getting worried that instead of getting better he might be getting worse. I know cats amd dogs eyes tear but his does too amd sometimes he doesn't let me clean them. And when i do it seems like it bothers him. Sometimes regular tears, other tines like an off color now. Could that be a sinus problem or something?. His nose runs too sometimes. When he eats. And it makes me think of when my moms dog had problems with his teeth and was losing them. I want to help him amd i thought i was by feeding him cause he's been coming for food then kind of staying on and off but now I'm worried. The only way i can really help him is calling animal rescue a few towns over to come and get him to help him. I've called them before. But at the same time i want him to stay here. My mom even figured he would definitely be in the house by the winter but i can't afford it. Maybe a vet visit but not at this moment. And if i go to humane society few blocks away they will probably tell me since hes a stray that i can't keep him especially if i dont have the money right now to get him checked. I feel so bad. I don't want him to die. Last night around 12am he was here for a while then left and didn't see him until 6pm today. That's the routine he had in the beginning but then he started staying more. Wel he left again after a while and I'm worried. I call him but he doesn't come. Last night too. It's been very hot so i thought maybe that's a reason why he was like that but today he wasn't exactly the way he was other days. I keep looking at cause i do it for Blue but also now to check on him but he's not back yet. He would sit with me on the porch and purr. He's sweet. He would be on the porch but he's bot here often the past day and a half going on night. I became very attached to him and even my mom says he looks for me when she goes out. And as soon as i go out he comes next to me. He didn't do that yesterday when he came back. But he ate a little bit. Not much. And that's it. I want to keep him and take care of him. If i call rescue they will just take him and then i will never see him again. I know that sounds selfish and i should do what's best for him but i don't want him to be put down if noone adopts him when they make him better. I always worry about that woth animals. Helping him is what's best for him but the only way to do that is calling rescue. If only they could check him out for me so i knew what was wrong..but nothing is free. I would pay for medsoif he needs them but i can't do it all at once. I just dont want him to leave me. He's still not back on the porch. If something were to happen i would never forgive myself. I'm already an emotion wreck cause of Blue, but this one came and he made me feel a little better but still sad. Then sad causrof him. So it's like I'm an emotional wreck over Blue and him. I don't want to lose him too. I don't know.

Anyway..thank you. If any advice or anything about everything i would appreciate it. I hope we find our kitties and they come home.

whatsonemore

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BellaB,

Sorry to hear about your new cat having health problems.  Is he sneezing or anything else besides the nose running?  It sounds like a possible URI (upper respiratory infection) based on a quick Google search I did.  Whenever mine have had any sort of an issue, it's been sneezing only and one time discharge from the nose.  I give them 500mg of Lysine 2x a day and put apple cider vinegar (with the mother) on their sides and feet so they have to lick it off and it takes care of them in a few days.  They will not like the apple cider vinegar, but put it on them anyway, because it will really help them.  I usually just shake the bottle well, pour some into my hand and then rub their sides and make sure I dip their front paws in it to make sure they ingest plenty of it.  You'll probably need help and the cat will learn quickly to avoid you when they see you have it, but do it anyway.  They'll thank you later.  Take down this site... earthclinic   It is a website of home remedies for people and pets and it's amazingly helpful.  I don't have the funds to go to the Dr. myself or take my animals to the vet every time there is a little problem, and because I've had more bad or neutral experiences than positive ones with vets, I treat them at home, unless it is an emergency, like with Cooper.  Lysine and apple cider vinegar are both cheap and apple cider vinegar helps a TON of things, not just sneezing and respiratory issues.  You can get them both at walmart, just make sure you get an ACV (apple cider vinegar) with "the mother" in it.  Bragg's is a very good quality brand.  If nothing else, you can take your cat to the vet for a checkup and diagnosis and then come home and treat them with home remedies.  I actually buy the Lysine in caplet form then crush them into powder with my meat tenderizer hammer and put it  in their wet food.  It doesn't taste, so they should eat it just fine.  If they won't, I buy a can of water packed sardines at walmart for $1 and stir up a little bit of the fish into mush and put the powder in that and they never refuse to eat it.  Keep me posted and I'll help however I can.

After checking with my neighbors again last night and getting referred to another lady a little further away, (but is the opposite direction from what the animal communicator had said, unfortunately), who feeds feral cats and has a porch and outbuildings, like the animal communicator said Stormy communicated to her, and no luck searching or calling for him after tonight, I've made another appointment with the animal communicator that I talked to before.  I will try to get an appointment to talk to her later today, if possible, and see if that is indeed where Stormy was talking about and if he is still in that vicinity and if he is ready to come home.   It is something that takes practice and my friend hasn't done it in years, so she's not really fine tuned to it and going on almost 3 weeks, time is of the essence to me now, as I'm worried about Stormy maybe being hurt.  I'll keep you posted.

Don't lose hope on Blue's return.  From what you've said, it just sounds like he got scared out of the area and for whatever reason (construction work or busy road between you and where he is, maybe??) isn't coming back.  Being in the city, he has sooo many options.  Are you sure he didn't go back to his other owner who is now maybe keeping him indoors?  I know it is so tough to not start thinking the worst, but try to stay positive to keep good vibes out there.  I'm keeping you and him and adding your new kitty to my prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WhatsOneMore,
thank you for all of that information. I hope that Stormy is there. Hope it's good news. I think rhe same about Blue. But even though i think that way. I can't. We have to be positive. Yes. Keep me posted. I've thought about that and someone else mentioned maybe can't het back to me cause he crossed where he never did before. As far as i know he never left this block or across the street. Being in the city sucks for something like this. The only kind of good thing is that there are small yards and easy to look in unless there's a wooden fence.

His old owner lefy him outside (im positive that its who i think it is-where i took the other one in from) I'm pretty sure he knew i had his cat that we talked about when he passed by and his cat was in my yard but never once asked me about him. I think that's where Blue came from cause he was in his yard and he said he had 4 cats 2 dogs. They don't stay in. Then Blue started coming, i took him in. The guy then moved a few blocks away. Not sure where exactly but I've seen him walk his dog arounf there. He wouldn't keep him in cause he didn't keep either of them in. I think they were both his cause it seemed like they knew each other. Plus to me they have the same look in their eyes. I know that sounds stupid but i never said that about cats before so Maybe they are brothers.
It is tough to not think the worst. Yes. I'm trying to stay positive for me and tou and everyone else that had a missing pet. Thank you for keeping us (Blue and gray kitty)in your thoughts and prayers. You and Stormy are in mine too.