Mirtaz

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet prescribed Mirtaz topical ointment for my cat. She wiggled and I did not get it into the pinna of her ear as I should have; I just got it in her upper ear. Should I be concerned? Is there a danger?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site!

A little weight loss can be a big deal – Mirataz

This is what the manufacturer has to say about the medication and there is no exact warning which cautions against a slipped application, including under prescribing information. It does say not to use it orally and also not to put it into the external ear canal, but does not give any additional instructions for having done that and does not say that is an emergency situation.

I have had good luck with calling Dechra and getting a speedy response. Did you try to clean the ear as much as possible safely? They do say that if you missed a dose, to wait until the next day so I would not reapply it now.

Given there can be side effects to any medication, most of which never happen, I would observe your cat to make sure that a different route of administration does not cause it to be absorbed in a way which causes problems. Your vet might be closed now, but you might try calling, or even calling a local ER and seeing if they would answer your question.

I don't know if this could cause an irritation to the inner part of the ear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! I didn't try to do anymore cleaning to her ear, she doesn't like her ears fooled with and she knows I'm not a vet..as she's often explained to me. Hopefully it doesn't cause a skin irritation in her ear, if it does I'll have to wait to take her to her vet Monday. We have no pet ER where I live, and no vet dedicated enough to take after-hours calls. I know they make an oral mirtazipine (that looks like mirtaz) that can be taken by mouth (as well as pill form) for humans.

Hopefully the worst it'll do is just not work. I'll do it right next time...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just FYI, another member started a thread about Mirtaz but it was about having gotten some on their finger (transderm as well) and a while later having a hugely ravenous appetite. So be cautious and make sure that the gloves you are using are thick enough and do not have tiny holes in them.

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They feed mirtazapine to nursing home patients orally (not by tablet) in a form that looks like mirtaz only thicker who have lost their appetites. They did to my mom who was an alzheimer patient and would hardly eat all. Putting it in the wrong spot in her ear had no affect at all, just made her drowsy (as it also does in humans). Luckily, it didn't seem to irritate her ears! Her and a feral stray I'm working with are the last two animals I'll ever have. I'm 75 and the shelters won't let me adopt. I had to put my 12 yr old cat to sleep 5 yrs ago after having a major stroke (i.e. the cat - not me) which still hurts me deeply; her and I went through a lot together! Her only sickness was the final one. I adopted my current KItty from Paws for Pals, and the passing of my first cat has made me kind of a helicopter parent, I guess. I take her to the vet maybe WAY too much, but I can't go through the sadness again. The feral stray is an orange Main Coon and I have him vetted regularly, and I've taught him the litter box and trimmed his hair mats, but he still wants to go outside some. We have NO really good vets here, but I've got one I'm satisfied with and I question her closely about their charges and my cat's health and diagnosis! The best vet sold her practice to a national pet clinic and now they have too many part-time vets. I switched vets and they have six vets on staff but I always ask for a certain vet. Thanks for reading my ramblings...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I did not know much about mirtaz and human use. It is very hard to get over the loss of a heart pet and I don't blame you for taking very good care of the new cat. Some shelters out here have a "seniors for seniors" program when senior citizens can adopt senior pets for either a reduced fee or no fee at all. There was a discussion here on TCS recently about human age and pet adoption. Most felt that if there was a back up plan with a reliable friend or family member that age restrictions were not necessary. Shelters can be funny though. A city run shelter out here (not LA) with a lot of financial support and good adoption rate will not allow a puppy or kitten to go to a working person or even to a family where the same person is not home all day with the pet. They turned me down 15 years ago on a GSD puppy, even sort of taunted me about it and tried to foist a full grown GSD on me who could never have been left alone with my cats. I ended up getting a puppy from MO through a GSD network I was associated with. He was in a high kill shelter when a rescue spotted him. A few of the large city or county run shelters actually do lotteries for pets....like all of you who want this dog put your name in a hat and we will draw. Like that is a good way to find a decent owner?

I love orange boys...my favorites really. It sounds as if you take great care of your cats.

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for a reply. 5 years ago the shelter wouldn't let me adopt because of my age; but Paws for Pals (a rescue) would. I had to sign an agreement with them to return the cat to them if I ever had to re-home her for any reason. Pumpkin (the orange Main Coon stray) would be taken by a younger friend of mine. He'd had a rough life on the street until he came to me wanting food and we've become friends. I had him checked for FIV and FELV. He'd been captured and released by TNR and they notched his ear. They're both good on rabies shots until 2023 and I give Revolution topical for fleas monthly for both of them. He wakes up with 'bedhead' -- which scared me the first time. He's still his own 'little man' though. My Kitty is in love with him...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are certainly giving these cats a great life. They are lucky to have found you. The idea of returning a cat to a rescue really does solve the problem and is more and more popular. A friend in PA who is only late 40s purchased a black lab puppy from a very reputable breeder and they had her sign an agreement that the dog would go back to them if she could not keep it or if something happened to her.

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm feeding also a stray unfixed male, a skinny little runt, that walks around talking to himself! He doesn't meow, just makes strange polysyallabic sounds about a human sentence long, sometimes emphasizing certain of the sounds. He's gaining some weight, I've mixed kitty vitamins with his food. If (and when) I get the money I'll have him fixed. Vet rates keep going up and seems their knowledge drops! Have to be careful with strays until you can have them tested for FIV and FELV! Vets here want to kill a cat with FIV, though they can live good lives. FELV is pretty much a death sentence of course.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is funny. I have a cat right now who is older who walks around talking to herself. She has never been happy with anything in her entire life, so I would imagine that she is grumbling about bad food or not having a fresh towel on her bed.

At least a male is not going to have kittens so you have time to get him fixed. I agree about strays and even though that is all I have ever dealt with, strays and ferals, I have always kept them separated until they had a health clearance.

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took Miss Kitty to the vet today and they took some blood for bloodwork. She's been pooping some black poo lately, and she's always been constipated. But she's still playful and seems OK. She had her nails done, and a finger up the butt and a
thermometer, asnd for the first time ever she SCRATCHED the vet, but not seriousily. When we got home she wanted to call the Police for molesting, and notify HomeLand Security that terrorists were loose. She claims most of her blood is gone,too, but she never divulged any cat secrets under torture. I told her that was her doctor. Her eyes got big and her mouth dropped open. She left to go to her room (my closet) to mull the day over. I feel sorry for her. I feel sorry for me..$250! I didn't tell her I paid for her torture though...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Miss Kitty, like Gunsmoke. I have a friend who has a feral Miss Kitty. Yes, mine come home from the vet and all look for the ASPCA Animal Abuse Hotline as well. Jamie got his dose of Revolution today and acted as if I were putting transdermal cyanide on his neck, then hid for 3 hours. Sorry for trying to help you not get eaten alive by fleas!

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pumpkin (the Maine Coon) is more laid back. He wants a dinner companion, so I have to sit and talk to him as he eats. He doesn't like to go into the big covered litter box unless I shine a flashlight inside so he can look first -- generally he wants to go outside and then come back in. But he lets me do what I can to cut the mats from his fur; likes the taste of the furball gel on his paw, because in grooming he eats a LOT of fur. He really doesn't know how to play, because he's not had a human since kittenhood --- he wants to play with a string on a wand but he tries to eat the string. Doesn't worry about the flea medecine being applied; don't care if you pick him up. If you talk to him when he's mostly asleep he wiggles the very back end of his tail slightly, to let you know he heard you. He's been wanting the utilitly room for years, so when I re-homed a VERY nice female kitty; he (of course) knew she was gone and when I opened the back door BOOM he moved in. He'd been hiding on the deck listening to everything! Him and the dog carrier I have to use for him is heavier than I'm supposed to lift, but the vet said when I bring him in she would help me. Miss Kitty was removed from her mom and siblings too soon and doesn't really know how to be a cat. I've tried bringing in strays for her, but she won't give up an inch of her territory! She loves Pumpkin, but he doesn't pay any attention to her. What is hard for me to understand is why anyone would let a Maine Coon become a stray!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He sounds like a charming boy! It is too funny that he wants to see to the back of the litter box before he enters. I rescued a Maine Coon type boy several years ago. He was an adult but looked exactly like a MC and had the exact personality. I always wondered about his history as well. They say that with Siamese and Snowshoe cats, that the gene has moved into the general population so that people find feral litters with one kitten who looks just like a Siamese. Someone right now on TCS posted a pic like that from a litter they are trying to help. Maybe the Maine Coon gene has moved into the general population as well. I love orange boys, as I said, and had one who lived on my front porch, in a nice carrier bed and food, for several years. Refused to stay inside but was safe enough until he became older and ill and I had to put him to sleep.

On the other hand, speaking of a MC stray, dog rescues for purebred dogs are always full and many of their rescues were found on streets or rescued from high kill shelters. You could say the same thing....who lets a shepherd or cocker or cavalier spaniel become a stray.

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet called this morning and said Miss Kitty's blood work came back with all values looking very good, no abnormal cues. She thinks the dark poo may be due to her chronic constipation problem, as she normally only goes every other day on average. The one good dose of mirtaz I gave her caused her to gain 1.3 lbs! The dose I misapplied actually done nothing. She said to come back to her office Friday and she'd discuss briefly some ways to get her regular, and to try safely to get her down to a 10lb weight. So some good news. With the 4th coming, she will probably spend a few nights under the recliner; and Pumpkin behind the washing machine!
We have no stray dogs in my area and haven't for years, and the shelter is full of pit bulls. When I was younger I had dogs and they were American Eskimo. I had four of them at different times and they were all named Tascha. Very cute and SUPER intelligent little dogs, but headstrong. I have some great memories of some of their antics, but sadly no pictures.
We've had nothing but rains and thunderstorms here, and hot -- but fireworks scare them worse. Pumpkin isn't that afraid of storms' but Miss Kitty is.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You got some good news about Miss Kitty and must be relieved. And no problem from the mirtaz in the ear, although it evidently worked otherwise and helped her to eat.

Yes, the fourth is coming and around here despite ordinances it is impossible to control some use of fireworks. The big stadiums all have shows...not sure what will happen this year, but it is very noisy for a few hours. Some kids also get the illegal fireworks like M 80s. My ferals have all come through fine, although the household all go into hiding. The dog is the worst and has to be sedated. Since the legal observation is on the 5th, I expect two days of fireworks this year.

American Eskimo's are so cute. Around here corgis are very popular and I see at least one every day. My GSDs have always been very good with the cats but they want to please their owner and try to be as good as they can. Very messed up breed genetically though.

No rain here, that is for sure, but we are warming up. Heat will continue until October as usual.

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Miss Kitty's poo color has returned to normal also, instead of blackish. I was worried about her being diabetic or a tumour but all seems well. I have lost all my family in the past ten years and live alone now. I lost my first cat about 6 years ago, and had to put her to sleep. I had trouble finding a vet who would euthanise her and let me bring her body home. They all wanted to cremate her and sell me an expensive urn, but I wanted her home and buried her outside her favorite window. A friend of mine went with me and I told him to speak up, if my voice started cracking. My voice did and I looked over at him for help, but he was crying too and couldn't say a word! I'm still not over loosing that little furball! I have a facebook page: red hendar (not my real name) that I started about grieving for cats when they pass that you could check out if you have time. I'm old and have positional ...something...brachycardial arrythmia. I've discovered as I age I worry more.
My vet told me a story about a very old lady that brought in her very aged greyhound to put to sleep, and she heard the lady as she whispered into the greyhounds ear: "Thank you for staying with me to the end. I was so scared.." The lady went home from the vet, fixed a cup of coffee, sat down in her recliner and passed away herself within a few hours, according to her daughter who found her, and returned to the vet to finalize arrangements for the greyhound's body.
Thank you for helping and listening...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that there can be a variation in the color of poo and in vomit as well. It is not all a bad sign and often reverts to normal. Even in humans that is true. Glad that Miss Kitty is doing better. It is so hard to lose a first animal. When my first cat Hamy died of diabetes about 20 years ago ( was being treated with insulin but testing was not as good as it is now) I was devastated and was sobbing into a roll of gauze at the ER. The dr did not charge me for the euthanasia as he said I had given them 4 days to save her and most people gave them a couple of hours. Out here, cremation is very popular and it can be very pricey. If you have a large animal, you need to be prepared for a few hundred...and I don't mean a horse, but even a large dog.

That is such a sad but touching story about the greyhound. Cats and dogs are our truest friends in many ways and so faithful to the end. I had a friend who died at 47 from a brain tumor. He had a big orange cat named Morris who was well cared for, but was found deceased in his bed a couple weeks before Ron died. No logical explanation, although I am sure that there was a medical reason, because even in Ron's absence a close friend was staying at the house and taking care of the cat

I will check out your FB page!

Ridley99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gave the cats their Revolution this morning. Miss Kitty objected slightly, but Pumpkin doesn't mind! It makes them sleepy, so they've snoozed most of the day. Miss Kitty is taking the fireworks rather well, hasn't hid under the recliner, but stayed in her room (my closet). Pumpkin, on the other hand is hidden somewhere in the laundry room and is very upset. Odd for a former stray -- this is the first year he's had any company. The little 'talkie' porch stray didn't show up for his meal today, a little unusual for him. The little bullied stray, Sally, showed up wanting to eat four times so I let her eat. Smoky never showed up either, but I guess I'm his last resort, it"s happened before. It's midnight here and the booms are still going on. Kitty and Pumpkin both have been a little upset today; haven't eaten well or drank enough water.
It's a little amusing about Sally. She would lay in the alley across the way and watch my front porch. When she heard my door open she'd walk in the yeard across the street and crane her neck to see if I was alone. If so, she'd trot across the street for a meal. If not, she'd lay in the alley still. The little 'talkie' stray (Spooky) and Smoky wouldn't let her eat, gobbling down her food and theirs. Pumpkin, being a Main Coon, just stared at her and got her upset. About two weeks ago she moved from the colony, and now lives somewhere in my yard but I haven't found out where. She was so cute trotting into my yard with her little backpack with all her possessions in it! I had a talk with Spooky about if he ate her food then he couldn't get any; he's been a little more respectful of her since -- and since she's moved out.
The noise has finally stopped and Pumpkin insisted on going out! Now I'll have stay up a little longer to see if wants back in!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is interesting about Revolution causing drowsiness. I am still using Advantage mostly although my vet sold me the newer version of Revolution the last time and I have not used it yet. We will have fireworks in this area as well although they are illegal. There is no way to enforce any large scale crack down so basically nothing is done. My cats hide, not sure where the ferals go, but they apparently have places where they feel safe. My dogs have always been the most afraid and we never leave the house on the Fourth for that reason.

I currently have a bully stray who has come around, a male I am sure, who is very aggressive. He tries to eat the food for the cat in the nearby apartments who I feed and I have to stand with her as she eats. He is more afraid to come in my yard, but will get all his nerve up when he needs to. I have tried the decoy bowl which works to a point but he caught onto my regulars get better quality food. One guy only shows up about every two weeks....looks the picture of health, eats and then does not appear again for a while.

You have quite the collection of cats you help out. It is so funny to watch cat behavior, how they judge what the next best move is and the best way to get what they want.

I bet your yard is a step up from the colony in the eyes of a cat. I can picture her, backpack and all, moving in.