Minor emergency for Dylan today...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just caught up on this!!!! Poor Dylan! I hope the poor boy is feeling a little better today with his paw sutured, and with the drugs.

Give him a head rub for me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for asking after him. Last night, Dylan took to dipping the bandage in his water bowl, so we had to take him back to the vet today to have it changed -- but when they took the wrappings off, they found the paw swollen and purple from being so saturated, and they decided to just leave it unbandaged.

I looked at his poor paw... it just looks so raw and painful. But Dylan is so happy to be free of the bandage! He's much more relaxed, and so far, he hasn't been biting the stitches -- probably because of the calmative he's taking.

He wanted to come out of Mom's room tonight, so we let him... and bless his heart, he just walked very gingerly around the house saying hello to his kitty friends, barely letting that paw touch the carpet, and then went back and hopped up on Mom's bed again all by himself. Dylan is such a good cat.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww poor boy - it's good that he's more comfortable without the bandages, hopefully he'll recover faster now!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwww poor sweet baby ......... more healing vibes for him! You seem really patient and understanding with him, thats so sweet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I think the patience and understanding are on Dylan's part! He's an extremely smart and powerful cat with the longest, sharpest claws I've ever seen, and if he doesn't want to do something, we can't make him. But he seems to know, somehow, that the medicine and the precautions with his paw are necessary, and he allows us to do what we have to. He doesn't make it particularly easy -- but he doesn't rip us to shreds, either.

His paw looks pretty good today, and he's walking a little more comfortably now... and as far as we can tell, he hasn't touched the stitches! Also, we just received a package of Feliway refills from ValleyVet, so I'm going to put one of those in Mom's room to supplement the calmative he's taking. Maybe when we start backing off on that medicine, the Feliway will provide a smooth transition.

Thank you all for your concern about our Dylan. We adore that silly ol' cat.