Mineral Oil

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really sure where this post needs to go, hope this is okay. Where would mineral oil be located in a grocery store? My vet said this would be something I could use if Marlee has any more constipation problems, so I wanted to get some to keep on hand. I'll probably be shopping at Walmart if anyone knows where they would keep it. (We also have Kroger, Big-Star, and I think Bi-Lo here in town)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally it can be found in the pharmacy area, not sure exact category though.

I wonder why your vet would suggest a petroleum product over something more natural and gentle, like canned pumpkin, or pureed cooked green beans?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wondered the same thing myself. Her poopy problems seem to be doing better now, but last week when I first called the vet saying I thought she was constipated, I even specifically asked about using pumpkin and he said he would personally stay away from it. (I did use it anyways, since so many people I talked to had good results, and it did seem to help.) But when I took her for vaccinations yesterday, it was actually the vet tech, not the vet, but she recommended the mineral oil b/c it will take such a small amount to stimulate the digestive tract. Again, Marlee is doing better, but I just wanted to have some on hand in case the need arose. Thanks for the reply!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering why anyone would recomeend mineral oil... ohh I hope baby is okay and doesnt need it ..

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting the feeling mineral oil isn't recommended? Anyone have an explanation as to why it wouldn't be good for Marlee? Gosh, without this site, I don't know what I'd do!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this kind of put me off.
Mineral Oil

By the way, that is broad use.
There are different grades of mineral oil, there is food grade, cosmetics grade, etc.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

I'm getting the feeling mineral oil isn't recommended? Anyone have an explanation as to why it wouldn't be good for Marlee? Gosh, without this site, I don't know what I'd do!!
It can be so harch I dont use it on me and I am much bigger than kitty

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. COMBUSTIBLE LIQUID AND VAPOR.

Inhalation:
Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath. Inhalation of mist or vapor may produce aspiration pneumonia.
Ingestion:
Material is a cathartic and can cause serious diarrhea. Nausea and vomiting may also occur and possibly abdominal cramping. Aspiration of mineral oil into the lungs can cause chemical pneumonia.
Good Grief! Why would someone at a vet's office reccomend this?! That sounds awful, and thanks so much for bringing it to my attention before I bought it for my baby...

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, mineral oil is an ingredient in some brands of cat hairball remedies. I think this is a case of a little bit doesn't hurt, but too much does. I think there are better remedies for constipation, but the vet tech's advice isn't really too off the wall. Mineral oil would certainly take care of the constipation, but why take such a jackhammer approach?

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm still giving her pumpkin, will it hurt her to eat some every day? I give her about 1 1/2 tablespoons or so once a day. Or is there anything else I can give her often to make sure she doesn't become constipated again?