Mina is very sick

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lisa, you made me question whether or not I'd actually seen the recommendation for use in cats with pancreatits. :lol3: I found the reference - which, Jenny, you and Faith may find helpful. No recommendations for diet - it seems it's just a "trial and error" thing with cats. :sigh: BUT, there are recommendations for other supporting therapies, which Faith may want to discuss with the vet. http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresource...pec-fpl-treatment-for-feline-pancreatitis.pdf

Lisa, they're probably covered on the IBDkitties.net page on pancreatitis. :anon: http://www.ibdkitties.net/pancreatitis.html

Yep - I see that link is on there!

:wavey:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
that Mina is well enough to come home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This truly is a miracle.  From death's door to going home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She came home and then had a setback in that she disturbed the feeding tube and it broke, making her very uncomfortable. Faith rushed her back to the vet and they sedated her and removed the tube, but apparently there is a broken off piece missing. She had an Xray but they couldn't find it so sent her home again with a dose of liquid paraffin. She is eating and pooping reasonably well. Anyway, 24 hours later she is much better and out of the cage and exploring her new home. I am there right now, I came over on Wed night for a couple of days to help Faith and give her some moral support, she has been so upset. I go home tonight and am so relieved that Mina seems so much better and we honestly hope that the worst is over. There are still some blood test results to come in to confirm the pancreas is functioning.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry for the accident - I can only imagine how scary that was! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

But what otherwise what WONDERFUL, FABULOUS news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Keeping up vibes for Mina!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I home she's doing okay tonight. Glad to hear that after all of this she's eating and seems better. Continued good vibes! 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to say Mina seems to have suffered no ill effects from the feeding tube incident - she must have passed the little broken end bit. She is exploring again, cuddling with her brother and eating OK, much more comfortable now she has no tube or bandage. I am back home again, and Faith is beginning to be able to concentrate on her new duties at school. Mina will go back to the vet for a check on Thursday or Friday, assuming there are no emergencies before then.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is fantastic news!!! I'm so very happy to hear this about Mina. Many blessings to that tough little girl. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mina had a check-up on Friday and was given the all-clear. Her tummy was soft, no swelling, and all her levels are normal. She has to have a further visit and blood test for glucose levels in a month's time, and then will be monitored on a three month basis, but it all looks good. Faith is very aware that pancreatitis can recur and will watch her girl very closely. Doe anyone know what recurrence levels are?

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great news. No, there is no real way to tell recurrence levels. It depends on the cat and things like diet. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to get Faith to see the importance of diet, but she is not convinced. Right now Mina is on a gastric prescription dry food, supplemented by a 70% animal protein wet. The vet is saying she can go back to her normal diet in a month or so if she is digesting well. But that means Kitekat and Purina Adult. I want her to go grain-free and low carb - Mina has always been a little overweight. So I have to convince her. The cost is not an issue - Faith will do whatever she thinks is best - she is simply not convinced it is necessary to change.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Then unfortunately she is setting Mina up to possibly have many more reoccurences of this disease! Diet is VERY VERY VERY important especially with pancreatitis. It would be a darned shame after all Mina has been through to have her get sick again all because Faith refuses to understand this fact. I hope you can get through to her, keep trying. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great news that she that she's been given the All Clear!  Too bad Faith isn't getting it about her diet, however.  Keep working on her, Jenny!  Maybe we all need to gang up on her

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's great news! Maybe you could get Faith a couple of books about pet food? Amazon.co.uk has Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food by Ann N. Martin and Pet Food Politics: The Chihuahua in the Coal Mine by Marion Nestle that are enough to make your stomach turn when you see the supermarket brands.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to order some food for her from zOOPLUS UK and I think when she sees the difference she will be convinced it is a good thing. I am surprised at the vet, who has been absolutely marvellous and definitely saved Mina's life, but she seems very unconcerned about diet, beyond giving her some prescription food for hte coming month and saying she should not have anything too rich. But we all know vets do not always know about nutrition. Obviously there was a time when it was essential that Mina ate SOMETHING, but now we need to think long-term.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet pushing prescription food is what most of them do unless it's a holistic vet or a REALLY educated vet that isn't in it just for the money. Most sell script foods and that's how they make the money for their practice. So this doesn't surprise me. You have the right idea, you need to think long term. Zooplus in the UK is a good company with a few good grain free brands. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mina continues to do well. Faith is now switching them to Bozita grain-free chicken flavour food, not too rich, which is what I feed my lot. So hopefully she will do well on it.