Milton Berle

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When there are two diametrically opposed views, the truth is usually somewhere near the middle. In education flash cards were forbidden in some school districts; they were too traditional, and therefore not approved. They were boring. Now we know that for memorization of "times tables", there is nothing quite as good. However, we can add a twist to the old and make it relevant, not throw it all away. If we threw away all the knowledge before the present generation, we would have to learn how to make fire! I am an educator, and I believe in flash cards AND computer aided education. If it works, it's good. Some of the greatest movies of all time-such as the Wizard of Oz, are appreciated today more than ever. Some things are just too good to dispose of.
Values are even more important. Most of us accept a code of ethics that goes back thousands of years.(Regardless of what faith you hold, or the lack thereof) Lately, however, much of that code is on hold. That happened to the Roman Empire and, as we all know, destroyed it. People learned from that and we will too. The pendulum usually swings too far the other way before it settles down. I hope that will prove to be true again.
P.S. Movies and t.v. from my childhood did not contain 1/5 of the violence or blatant promiscuity of today. I don't know that that is a good thing. We have to depend on parents monitoring t.v., movies, the internet, and music much more than my parents did-yet, these are not inherently evil. It's what we do with them.