Milk Thistle And Prednisolone

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Quick question, is milk thistle drops for cats (1 drop per 1lb) okay to use along with prednisolone? My kitten is on 5mg prednisolone daily for ITP (yes very rare I know) and I fear for his little body the damage pred might do. He's been on pred for a month and some now and has another month before he's evaluated again with blood work to see if we can half the dosage and eventually get him off to see if he will make platelets without steroids. I just want to protect his little liver and help him out more

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, check with your vet. I did a bit of digging, and found that in humans there are no interactions between the two. Generally speaking, that will hold true for two substances that are also safe for cats, but don't take a chance on this. Ask your vet.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine has it. You have no idea what the potential is for drug interaction or if even a healthy kitten can tolerate milk thistle drops. What is it desolved in? That may also be deleterious to your kitten. Please seek your vet's advice on this before taking further action.