Milk substitute?

jekyllhj7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope it isn't for a kitten.
I have a 1 yr old neutered male cat. If anyone is drinking/eating some kind of milk product he will follow you around and try to get it. If you are sitting down, he will stare at you purring and making sucking/licking motions with his mouth. We found him abandoned at 5 weeks, so I am wondering if this is some kind of kitten behavior reasserting itself.
We don't give him any of the milk/ice cream because I know cow milk isn't good for cats (lactose), but I am wondering if there is any product out there that we could give him as a treat. Tried that cat ice cream but he doesn't want it. I gave him a drop of milk on my finger just to see what he would do and he licked it off and purred louder with his eyes closed.
He doens't beg for any other kind of food.
Thanks!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give all mine goats milk, which they love. Ellie especially will always drink some milk as she eats - the only cat I have ever met who does this - a mouthful of food, a sip of milk! It is low lactose, so safe. Yoiu can dilute it a bit with water, too, for adult cats.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine didn't like goats milk, but Alfie loves a saucer of Whiskas cat milk

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
I used to give Sleeves Whiskas milk but tried Felix one day and he drank it all in one go so I buy that for him now. I keep it in the fridge but he seems to prefer it when its been out for a while and warmed up.
I do get worried about the sugar in it though...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spot likes CatSip. It's lactose free and has added taurine, so I don't feel bad about putting it over his food (it gets my picky boy to eat, sometimes).

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some adult cats are not lactose intolerant and can handle milk. If your cat doesn't get a tummyache from it then it's fine to let him have some.

Otherwise, there are commercially available cat milks. You could also give him lactose reduced human milk.

avalon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

We feed goats milk, here. From 3 weeks till they are ready to leave home and as an occasional treat for the oldies.
Is goats milk better than cows?? I ask because I live in an area where I could get it easily and cheap...