Milk Coming Out Of My Kitten Nose

Hanna banana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is 1 week old and since yesterday milk has been coming out of her nose . I don't know what to do . She still drink her mother's milk . Please help

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She really needs to see a vet. There is no way to know exactly what is going on without that, and this could be life-threatening. It could be a blockage of some sort, or it could be a deformity of the palate. A vet can tell you, and tell you how to manage it to give this kitten the best chance at a healthy life.

Let us know how she does, please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hanna banana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it was a deformation them why now why after a week shez having milk coming out .?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one except a vet can tell you. If it is really coming out of the nose, it's serious.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whatever is causing it is not normal. And a lot can happen in a week with a kitten. Something that wasn't an issue before could be now as they do develop very fast. Whatever is going on a vet would be the only way to tell you for sure but it's definitely not something I'd wait on as it could go down hill the longer you wait. I'm not a vet but when it comes to respiratory issues or something that could lead to a respiratory issue as in inhaling the milk into the lungs it's best to be safe than sorry. I'm not sure that could or would happen.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
we know this isnt normal. I want to add it may be so the kitten isnt eating properly now, either. So be prepared to handfeed it with kmr or goats milk. If it survives this crisis. Also, kittens with cleft palate cant suckle properly, but they CAN sometimes be saved by hand feeding - using for example a needle-less syringe. This way they dont need to suckle, its enough they manage to swallow.

It if manages to eat you can monitor weighting every day - but here you dont have the time for weighting, as its a crash vet visit needed.

I suppose the kitten also need needs antibiotics - to give a chance if there is pneumonia. Pneumonia will come if it got milk into lungs.

Please continue to report!

Good luck! H Hanna banana