Milk? Bread? What are your essentials?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I rarely make a "bread and milk" run before a big storm, but my milk has an expiration date of tomorrow and with the dire weather reports of snowpocalypse coming, off I went this morning. The grocery store was playing the audio of the above youtube clip over the loudspeakers, so at least they have a sense of humor. :lol3:

The store looked like a war zone and had a lot of empty shelves. They were out of chicken. :confused: That wouldn't be one of my #1 things to buy for a storm, but I wanted to make soup, so turkey it is instead.

I normally am stocked up on essentials like water, toilet paper, wine ;) , etc., but this morning had to get the milk and went to a bagel shop to get some bagels. So I guess I did make a bread and milk run.

What do you make sure you stock up on before a storm?

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol I live in the great white north and talea of people clearing grocery shelves before a snow storm down south always amuse me.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
#1 is coffee, I also make sure I have enough cat food and treats for Autumn  Other staples are eggs because you can make them in so many different ways, bread and cold cuts in case I lose all power, I could always make a sandwich.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say food for the kitties, coffee and milk for the coffee.  I usually have enough food for a week or two, it may not be want I want to eat at the moment but I have food to eat.  I usually also stay stocked up on things like toilet paper, soap and shampoo.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Other than keeping the kids supplied in cat food, treats, and litter, we never worry much about anything. With two freezers stocked to the gills, we won't starve. And if the power goes out for just a little while, I think we'd be Ok there, too.

We try to keep full tanks of propane for the grill. If the power goes, we can always grill outside. Yeah, it wouldn't be pleasant, but it wouldn't be the first time we grilled during a blizzard because we had no power.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're usually pretty stocked up too on everything, I would just make sure we had plenty of milk and cat food, everything else we can either do without or substitute.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did my normal grocery shopping yesterday so I got bread, milk and toilet paper.  And eggs.  But we were low or out of all of those things.  Our store was out of chicken too!  They had boneless thighs; but not one package of white meat chicken.  I didn't look for whole chickens.  I ended up at another store to get meat.  They were also out of every kind of lettuce for some reason; but they had plenty of bread. 

Our essentials are milk and bread at least.  I like to get crackers, popcorn and snack type foods like that.  I forgot popcorn yesterday though.  I also get tuna pouches, soup (if I'm not already stocked up) and that sort of thing.  My mother always made a big pot of pasta with meat sauce or something along those lines.  My Grandmothers made the soups! 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Milk, bread, eggs, bottled water. We have a generator that will run the ceiling fans, and wall plugs. I have a round confection type oven, an electric fryer, deep fat fryer, toaster oven so we can use those products for cooking. My freezer is well stocked and we pull out from there and cook. I also stock up on snacks and fruit.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Milk, eggs, bread. You can do a myriad of things with those 3 ingredients. 

Aside from that, we also are usually pretty well stocked, along with cat food.  It may not necessarily what we want at any given time, but there is more than enough to get us through several days and then some.  We really didn't need to get too much for this storm.

As for water, my BF kept saying to me that we might need to consider getting some.  We have water that dispenses from the fridge, so I said I'd fill up several containers with that for drinking, making coffee, etc.  He still questioned me, wondering what about for hygiene purposes?  I'm like SNOW hunny, snow.  There's going to be 2+ feet of it.  We can always just shovel some into a big bucket and heat it (we do have a gas stove) or, let it melt :p

stephjane91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My main ones are tea bags, milk, crisps and cereal! As long as there is cereal I am happy :D oh and not forgetting the cat food!

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat food and Coffee. I am not picky about food so if I ate peanut butter and jelly it would not bother me.  I live in Michigan so if it was that bad I could ride a snowmobile to the store.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I live so far from civilization I stock up anyway. I don't want to run out of anything crucial at any time, not just for blizzards. However, last time we were going to get a winter storm, I did run to the store and get some bottled water because I didn't have a case around like usual. The water rarely goes out but you never know.

I don't drink milk and I don't eat bread or eggs very often. So much for those staples! :lol3: If I had to get anything I guess it would be canned soup and canned beans because I can eat them cold if I have to.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in Florida so if we stock up it's for hurricanes not snowstorms. I'd fill the tank with gas in case I needed to get out of dodge, fill up the gas cans for the generator in case the power goes out, make sure I have enough ice and bottled water, food for the kitties and the dog, and then canned stuff like tuna, chicken, easy to prepare meals and meats for the grill. Maybe some eggs. I have a lot of stuff in my pantry so we'd be OK that way. During hurricane season, heat is the issue, not cold. When hurricanes Frances and Jeanne came through a week apart in 2004, it was a mess here. I remember when some of the stores were able to open because they got their generators going, DH and I went to Sam's for ice. August and September are still the height of summer here and it was HOT. Anyway, there were people stocking up on frozen foods. Huge boxes of Hot Pockets and frozen chicken tenders and stuff. He and I looked at each other and wondered where they were going to put all that stuff with no power. Even with a generator, you still can't go crazy using appliances. Plus you need gas for the generator to keep the appliances on. Most of the gas stations hadn't reopened and the ones that did had insane lines and frequently ran out. We got our ice and a few non perishables, laughed at them and left. Hurricane rookies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the DC area and around here it's milk, bread and TP. About 5 years ago they were calling for a blizzard. I stopped in Safeway on the way home from work just to pick up a few items (bread, cat food, diet coke and bottled water). The store was really crowded and they had a good sale. I walked out of there with a basket full of supplies and it came to around $300.00.

We only got an inch of snow yesterday. I didn't need anything at Safeway for that storm.

Ellen 

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're always stocked up, especially during the winter.  Our most important essential would be cat food, of course.  The freezer is full of raw and I have stacks of canned food.  When we've stocked up prior to especially bad conditions, broccoli and almond milk top the list.  I also don't like to run out of caffeine sources.  And our cabinets generally have quinoa, tofu, soup, marinara sauce, rice noodles, canned beans, protein powders, nuts, chia seeds, powdered peanut butter, coconut milk, oatmeal, hot sauce(a must), and other foods we can turn to if we run out of fresh or frozen foods.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love how wine is one of your essentials.  Lol.  I'm always stocked up on cat food and always consider having to eat it in case of an apocalypse.  

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1. Coffee

2. Godiva Chocolate

3. Vegetables

4. Cat foot for Puddykat

5. Repeat above list until shelves are full

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm one of those well-stocked types.. WAY too much cat food, loo paper etc.  So I'd be keen on being sure I had the perishables.. veggies, milk and things that don't require cooking as storms and power failure tend to go together where I am.