Military dermititis, rodent ulcer, loss of fur...?

worriedmeowmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before I begin - Don't worry! We have a vet appointment (albeit, a video call to determine the severity) booked tomorrow. I would just like any other similar experiences.

My cat has developed a few pretty nasty issues. They've mostly been going on for 4ish months now, with 1 previous vet trip that has very clearly not cleared anything up.

• He's 9 years old.
  • He's indoor, but does go outside with us when it's sunny for a few hours.
  • He does NOT have fleas (however when he was younger he did have a mild flea allergy that presented similar skin issues)

Skin Issue: (Also see images attached, it looks pretty bad, his fur is pushed all the way back)
He's been over-grooming like crazy to the point that the end of his back has started to lose fur in patched (He's practically been chomping it off) and underneath is non-inflamed, but scab like bites on his skin. You can see where the fur has started to grow back in parts, it's not entirely bald it's like you shaved a bit but never actually saw it bald. Stubby, thick, sometimes grey and coarse.
He also has shorter fur on his back leg, closes to this hot spot of biting and over-grooming action. There isn't an extreme loss of fur here, you can't see the skin but you can feel the bumps.

Mouth Issue:
I only noticed this recently, he's got a tiny bit of inflammation on his upper lip, only on one side. I checked his mouth out because (I am a paranoid overprotective meow mum) but I noticed he was doing little licking noises with his tongue more. It's only ever so slightly - but enough for me to notice, and when I brush my finger along he's got tiny tiny crusty scab parts. I can't hold him still long enough to see them, but there seems to be no blood (And he has black skin there too). I assumed this was because of the excessive over-grooming so maybe he'd just, produced too much saliva? But when I've done some research it seems like it could be Rodent Ulcer? or Indolent ulcer (certainly not as bad as the google images you will see if you search).

After doing lots of research, it is apparently that both of these issues seem to be present because of an allergy. The most common 3 that crop up are flea, food & environment/dust etc.

Can my cat be allergic to peas or sweet potatoes?
The only food change is the little bit of dry food he gets alongside his wet food. I purchased Thrive PremiumPlus Salmon & Herring dry cat food instead of Lily's Kitchen that I purchased around the time of the issues appearances that has changed. The ingredients not present in his other foods are sweet potatoes, potato and pea protein.

Can my cat have an allergy to incense?
I got a huge batch of incense for Christmas, but they are my regular brand so I don't assume they are the issue?

Any help would be welcome.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it could definitely be a food allergy to either peas or potatoes, but my guess would be potatoes. Let us know what the Vet says. Hope your guy cooperates for the video visit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

worriedmeowmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it could definitely be a food allergy to either peas or potatoes, but my guess would be potatoes. Let us know what the Vet says. Hope your guy cooperates for the video visit!
thank you! we’ve been this morning and they agree on allergies but they didn’t say specifically which... they did mention the possibility of it being outside allergies. they said there is usually an influx of flare ups at this time of the year - video chat wasn’t great but i did send over some images and she advised to visit for a steroid injection.

he screamed the whole way there and all the way back (only a 10 minute journey each way hahaha) but we’re home now and he’s still being an itchy boy 🙄

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So they thought an outside allergent could also cause the rodent ulcer? While he was getting the steroid injection, did they take a look at his mouth? Sometimes they get antibiotics for those, that's why I ask.

I would imagine it may take at least a couple hours for the injection to start working. Hope that does the trick!

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I begin - Don't worry! We have a vet appointment (albeit, a video call to determine the severity) booked tomorrow. I would just like any other similar experiences.

My cat has developed a few pretty nasty issues. They've mostly been going on for 4ish months now, with 1 previous vet trip that has very clearly not cleared anything up.

• He's 9 years old.
  • He's indoor, but does go outside with us when it's sunny for a few hours.
  • He does NOT have fleas (however when he was younger he did have a mild flea allergy that presented similar skin issues)

Skin Issue: (Also see images attached, it looks pretty bad, his fur is pushed all the way back)
He's been over-grooming like crazy to the point that the end of his back has started to lose fur in patched (He's practically been chomping it off) and underneath is non-inflamed, but scab like bites on his skin. You can see where the fur has started to grow back in parts, it's not entirely bald it's like you shaved a bit but never actually saw it bald. Stubby, thick, sometimes grey and coarse.
He also has shorter fur on his back leg, closes to this hot spot of biting and over-grooming action. There isn't an extreme loss of fur here, you can't see the skin but you can feel the bumps.

Mouth Issue:
I only noticed this recently, he's got a tiny bit of inflammation on his upper lip, only on one side. I checked his mouth out because (I am a paranoid overprotective meow mum) but I noticed he was doing little licking noises with his tongue more. It's only ever so slightly - but enough for me to notice, and when I brush my finger along he's got tiny tiny crusty scab parts. I can't hold him still long enough to see them, but there seems to be no blood (And he has black skin there too). I assumed this was because of the excessive over-grooming so maybe he'd just, produced too much saliva? But when I've done some research it seems like it could be Rodent Ulcer? or Indolent ulcer (certainly not as bad as the google images you will see if you search).

After doing lots of research, it is apparently that both of these issues seem to be present because of an allergy. The most common 3 that crop up are flea, food & environment/dust etc.

Can my cat be allergic to peas or sweet potatoes?
The only food change is the little bit of dry food he gets alongside his wet food. I purchased Thrive PremiumPlus Salmon & Herring dry cat food instead of Lily's Kitchen that I purchased around the time of the issues appearances that has changed. The ingredients not present in his other foods are sweet potatoes, potato and pea protein.

Can my cat have an allergy to incense?
I got a huge batch of incense for Christmas, but they are my regular brand so I don't assume they are the issue?

Any help would be welcome.
Hi,

I just saw this and my cat has been going through this as well and it started around the same time as you. We already received the steroid and antibiotic shot, but as soon as the antibiotics wore off she started itching. The vet is saying food allergies, but nothing she is eating has changed. Did yours definitely turn out to be food allergies or something else? Please let me know as I'm going crazy trying to figure out what it is. Thank you!

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who was allergic to peas. It was very difficult to find a dry food she could eat. She would treat her fur out if she ate peas, poultry or grains.

worriedmeowmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I just saw this and my cat has been going through this as well and it started around the same time as you. We already received the steroid and antibiotic shot, but as soon as the antibiotics wore off she started itching. The vet is saying food allergies, but nothing she is eating has changed. Did yours definitely turn out to be food allergies or something else? Please let me know as I'm going crazy trying to figure out what it is. Thank you!
Sorry for the delayed reply! Yes, it seemed to be his food regarding his skin issues. Once he got his shots from the vets and I found his usual dry food he's been back to normal. I will report back in spring to see if it is in fact a seasonal allergy, but he hasn't had an issue since.

Regarding his mouth, it turned out that he had a bad tooth at the back that we had removed. Whether or not that also played a part in the skin issues, who knows - but I really don't think so.

I hope you get yours sorted soon if you haven't already!

worriedmeowmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat who was allergic to peas. It was very difficult to find a dry food she could eat. She would treat her fur out if she ate peas, poultry or grains.
Oh, dear! Poultry must be a hard one to avoid!

I truly think this was peas. I haven't given him that food since! I don't think it had anything to do with grains because he does occasionally have chicken with rice. Fussy buggers aren't they.